5 1/2 month Accutane treatment - Complete! - New York, NY

I'm 23 years old and about a year and a half ago I...

I'm 23 years old and about a year and a half ago I started breaking out considerably more than what I used to. My acne isn't super severe but its enough to be seen even with makeup on. My dermatologist has had me try doxycycline (150 mcg), various topical gels, and birth control. None of it even remotely has cleared it up.

After really debating Accutane I decided to start and have been on it for a week. I'm on 30 mcg once daily. My skin has already started breaking out a little, which I'm perfectly fine with because in this long trial of too many "acne clearing" products, the ones that have helped the most have caused a breakout first. I'm looking forward to seeing further results and am already stocked up on plenty of euraphor!

I'm on month 2 now and just started 40 mg/day...

I'm on month 2 now and just started 40 mg/day (from the original 30 mg). No serious symptoms besides more sensitive skin and dry lips! My skin is definitely smoother.

I've been through 3 full months now. At the...

I've been through 3 full months now. At the beginning of month 3 my doctor increased my prescription to 2 30mg/day (60mg now total). Definitely much more drying out - not on my face - just lips and randomly on my arms. I still feel uncomfortable at the gym w/o makeup so hopefully this next month will see further clearing. My 4th month check up is next week and my doctor said she is hoping for only 5 months of treatment.

Month 5

I'm at about 5 full months on Accutane now. I've been at 2 30 mg pills/day for the past 3 months. The only side effect I continue to have is the typical need to always have aquaphor on my lips (fyi I found some w/ SPF in it too). Strangely I've had more breakouts this month than I did the past 2 months (maybe it's working everything out hopefully?) I go for my final month's checkup (hopefully) next week. I still have scarring which is really frustrating, but after treatment we will discuss our options. If anyone has suggestions on treating acnes scars (aside from annoying creams and serums), let me know!

After Accutane

After 5.5 months of Accutane, I am done! My friends and family have all commented about how clear my skin looks. I completely agree, but as I've already touched upon, my scars still bother me. My skin is soft and clear and has never looked better, but next steps include scar reduction.

My derm prescribed Tazorac (.05%) to start to alleviate scarring - the laser treatment she suggested is way too out of my price range right now but maybe for the future it could be considered.

Haven't had but one pimple in the past 3 months. I completely recommend the product.

Hi there! Thank you for sharing your experience! As for acne scaring, have you tried derma rolling? It is just as effective as laser, but you have to roll until you bleed!! Otherwise, you're not going deep enough to activate collagen growth. Another amazing treatment is TCA crossing. It's difficult to find a dermatologist familiar with the method. I do it myself!! I had a Huge box type scare that is no longer visible. It's amazing. The idea is to damage the damaged area to trick your skin into healing itself. That's how all the treatments work, including Retin A. Stay on your Tretinoin & it will eventually help. For drastic measures use derma rolling & TCA cross. As for lasers, I'm scared of ablative lasers, and non-ablative lasers I haven't noticed a difference in pore size just skin tightening. Good luck!!! -I'm starting Accutane in 2 weeks!! -Nervous & excited...

Bee1989, I'm not sure if you have happened across it already or not, but we have an entire community dedicated to Acne Scar Treatment. It might be worth exploring to see what has worked for others, and what has not as well.

Hi, I'm so happy you got rid of your acne. I'd like to know though, where did you purchase them and for how much. I'm in desperate need. Please help!!

I'm on accutane now for about 3 weeks. I don't have horrible acne. I just break out bad with cystic acne. I'm 15 I've had it since I was 11. Really young age! I see results already but I am on 60 mg a day. Is that alot? I've been having side effects with my eyes hurting. Also my back and neck. Sleeping alot,depression.And dry mouth. I won't to continue to take it but I don't want these symptoms to get worse.

My daughter was on accutane for one year due to severe acne and boils that appeared suddenly in her early 30s, causing awful scarring on her face. She stayed in close contact with her doctor and followed all advice and instructions. The accutane did work but I do remember it taking awhile (2 months) before the results were very visible. She did not suffer any side effects and after a year on accutane, the acne stopped and has not returned in the three years since. Her recommendation is to start Accutane as soon as possible, before you end up spending hundreds (thousands?) of dollars repairing the damage/scars from the acne and boils. She did not have insurance nor the funds for doctor visits when her acne spiraled out of control and by the time we were able to get the money that was necessary for treatment, the damage was already done. And now, almost 3 years later, we have just been able to get the funds necessary to begin scar treatment. As her mother, it has been so sad to watch her become more and more reclusive as society in general is not very nice nor accepting to those who suffer from this horrible skin condition. My heart goes out to all of you who are fighting this and I hope you will give the accutane a try and give the medicine time to work. Remember, I really didn't see any visible difference for at least a couple of months and it was stopped in its tracks at one year. Good luck to all of you.

Try dermarolling & TCA cross
I am about to start claravis..I believe I start tomorrow or Friday. I have to take one more pregnancy test before I take..such a.hassel that ipledge program is.. I don't have bad acne I juat break out with cystic acne on my forehead and chin and I am wanting to know when will I start to clear up? I have a wedding I am in in 3 months, I want this shit gone! Lol thanks!
Hi! I've only been on it for 2 weeks and from what I've read it seems like everyone has a different timeline. My skin is definitely smoother this past week and with makeup (I've been using Nars because it's non-comedogenic) a few of my girlfriends have commented that it looks better. I agree, but it's definitely baby steps. I haven't really dried out at all yet so I'm guessing there's more to come.

I'm also getting married in 2 months , started taking accutane 3 weeks ago I got my cystic acne about 2 months ago my forehead is a mess , I hope this stuff is gonna work !

Yeah, you are right - it does seem that every treatment that works makes things worse at first. How are things looking now that you are about 2 weeks in?

Pretty much the same 2 weeks in... it looks like the inside of my nose is the first to dry out but I've been taking a q-tip with vaseline to the inside and it's been perfectly fine! =)

Good, glad its been easy to remedy!

Keep us posted - hoping for you to start seeing some nice clearing soon!! :)