Juvederm in my Tear Troughs, Nasolabial Folds, and the Corners of my Mouth - Migration and Possible Allergy?

I had Juvederm injected into my tear troughs,...

I had Juvederm injected into my tear troughs, nasolabial folds, and the corners of my mouth last Monday.

It's exactly a week later and although my tear troughs look great (despite a little bruising), something awful seems to be going on with my lower face. It feels like the Juvederm has moved from my nasolabial folds to my the sides of my upper lip! It feels like there's two pockets of Juvederm on either side of my upper lip and more worrisomely, it burns!

I'm hoping that someone has some answers for me, please. Also, if anyone knows of a doctor who is experienced with fillers in NYC, please let me know immediately.

Could this be an allergy or something else? My eyes seem to be doing fine. It looks really awful -- it's changed my face and mouth a lot. I hate the way my mouth looks. There's a longer distance from my nose to my upper lip now. I was reading about hyaluronidase on here. Has anyone had any experience with it? What can I do about all this? I'm scheduled to see my doctor tomorrow and I'm nervous that if he messed up on my Juvederm injections, he'll also mess up on the hyaluronidase ones! I'm desperate. I feel so depressed about this. I haven't gone out at all since last week. Someone, please help. :(

Not sure yet... we'll see.

I hope you have a great summer too. I'm glad things have improved for you and I hope it keeps getting better. I just hope I get my smile back, my smile is so ugly now, I used to have a nice smile. I'm not smiling much anyway any more, but maybe again some day.
Helpful for me also! and you're welcome. I hope (and I'm sure) everything will turn out fine for you! Enjoy your summer! Remember we are our worst critics-if friends hardly notice things will be back to normal in a matter of weeks.So don't worry.
Good idea! It doesn't sound bad, and if you are sensitive it's possible it could look worse to you. I'm sure consult will say wait it out. If he sees a small area that by fixing it rest will look good to you, maybe that's the answer. Things only have to be slightly "off" to look wrong to us, and the littlest bit can make everything right again.
I'm 41. I think the dissolver is about the same just different names. I haven't done enough research because I'm not ready to do it yet. If you look at the reviews for the reversal the approval rating is 50/50. Some people have had horrible experiences with it and I have such sensitive skin I'm afraid I would be one of the people with an allergic reaction. I am going in for a consult soon to get another opinion, but I will be cautious in whatever I decide to do. If he thinks I would do less damage to wait it out then I will wait. I don't look disfigured and some people seem not to notice, but it bothers me.
By the way, thanks for your post. It is helpful to talk to someone who has been through this. Most people including my family don't understand.
I'm 56, and probably older than you, so it may be a different reaction. I had probably a total of 7 injections of the dissolver.As far as collegen loss the area around my mouth and cheeks-no, not at all-if anything it made more. Maybe the trauma of it causes more to form later? I'm not sure. Near the eyes-maybe-area so sensitive, and have large eyes with circles anyway. Seems the past 6 months aging has speeded up quite a bit. It could be just my age-hard to say. If it is an area they can locate and be sure filler is there, then I think a couple times with the dissolver should not be a problem. Isn't there a different one out now?
I am tempted to try hyaluronidase, but I'm afraid to do it. Mishka,, do you think it depleted any of your natural collagen?
There is a new kind of fraxel that is less aggressive called clear and brilliant. It is supposed to have less risk than some of the more aggressive lasers and my dermatologist said it would help the filler dissolve faster. Like I said, I will wait until after the summer because I have some trips planned with my family and I will be out in the sun. I wouldn't want to be out in the sun after laser. I also worry about the laser dissolving my natural fat because I am naturally very thin minus this filler in my face.
Yes I have thought about it. I've heard that fraxel and thermage will tighten and dissolve it. I'm not sure about the compresses, but infrared sauna helped me, also a good massage therapist that specializes in lymph drainage. Seems that anything that takes extra fluid out shrinks it since it pulls fluid around it. So maybe cold better as far as a compress that would help appearance immediately? Jumping rope , yoga , minitramp-I would think any exercise that helps drain lymph a good idea.
Also, I have read that warm compresses might make the juvaderm dissolve faster. Do you know if it is true?
I had .6 C Cs but my face is very thin and what I had retained a lot of water. I now have jowls that I hate because of the extra weight in my upper face. I have thought about laser to tighten things up but I am afraid. If I do decide to do laser I will probably wait until after summer since you are supposed to stay out of the sun. Have you thought about laser?
It is better in areas. My problem is (was) the movement of the stuff and the way one side of my face seemed to go down faster. You didn't have nearly as much I'm sure, and if it is already dissolving you should be fine! I don't know why my face held onto it so long. I have a weird fold around both corners of my mouth and above my lips. Also when he injected my nasolabial folds the injection was behind them. A fold there that is not normal aging.I hate to say I still obsess about my face, but still regret it so much. Again it was 4 large vials-a very extreme case, and I went into it completely stupid, but trusted the P S knew what he was doing. I never got any of my money back, and he charged me over a hundred(close to two) each time I went in for more dissolving. I hope at the very least you get your money back. I would love to have something done about the strange folds, but no money to do at the present, and who can you trust?
Mishka, is it better since the filler has dissolved. It's only been 10 weeks, but I feel like some of mine has already dissolved and I am hoping all of it dissolves by the 6 month mark. I have an incredibly fast metabolism I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I still don't think I will ever go back to my old self even when it is gone. My smile is ruined and my face shape is different (my injections were under the eyes, not even around my mouth) I also have bumps all over my face. My dermatologist said to try cortisone cream for the bumps. I won't ever go back to the plastic surgeon who did this to me. He has not been helpful during this ordeal at all.
The problem with these fillers is they migrate to other areas and change shape , and size when fluid is retained-pure and simple. Some faces can handle it some can't. It's horrible to go out in the morning looking one way, and come back in the afternoon looking completely different, Women are by nature insecure about their looks as it is. Doctors need to be very conservative with the amount injected. Too many on here are absolute basket cases.My face shape has changed because of this stuff. It's been over three years. The amount of money and time I spent trying to "fix" it astronomical. The days and nights I spent crying about it I will never get back.
I would recommend seeing your doctor back or seeing another injector (not for more juvederm) but for an evaluation as to what had happened.
also try Soren White on 5th ave and about 66 st ...he is very skilled with injections ..I no longer live in NY and miss him! have had terrrrrrible results elsewhere
Hi dear if you want a very experience facial filler you can try Dr David Shafer, Shafer Surgical on 5th ave btwn park and madison. He is very experienced and can also remove some of the facial fillers i dont remember the ones he can remove. I am sure if you try him you will have no regrets from my exp. i have been with him for years, using botox, juvederm. radiasse, evolence and never had a problem, i have gotton so much comp. Look him up and give and get intouch. keep me posted, good luck
Juvederm has also changed the way my face looks and not for the better. Mishka, thanks for your post because you described what is going on with my face as well. I have turned into a bit of a recluse. I have not tried going back to the doctor to fix it. I am waiting it out until the juvederm wears out. I'm not confident in any further procedures with any doctor:( I would like to thank everyone for all the post's they do help! Thanks so very much:)
I had juvaderm under the eyes and hate it. My whole fa e is puffy, but like you I am afraid to undergo further procedures. Was everything ok once the product dissolved and how long did it take. It has only been 2 months since I had my injection.
I'm also waiting it out. Did things improve when it dissolved?
Can you see the lumps on each side of your mouth? How much juve did he/she inject? I'm scheduled to get it in a week for my nl folds. I had restylane in past but was unimpressed, didn't last long at all and I also think I might have gotten little tiny lumps that I could feel but you can't see a thing, unless i always had them and just noticed it after because your feeling around and inspecting it. Some ppl love juve, I've thought about have fat in nl folds but I think that might be more risky and unpredictable with lumping or uneveness. I like that it's natural though.
I had some similar problems with juvederm migrating in lower face area-was really unflattering and actually changed the shape of my face. The longer distance upper lip thing you describe also. I had the idiot Dr. use hylaronerase 4 times-it did not bother me at all,but took very little out. I found someone else later to do it 3 more times and it worked much better.It has been 6 months now,and it is much better though not all gone. I am glad I used the hylaronerase-I could not have stood it the way it was. My entire face was filled. You may not need as much to dissolve it. Good luck!