32 Year Old Going on Accutane -New Hartford, NY

I am a 32yo female who has always had a issue with...

I am a 32yo female who has always had a issue with mild acne. I was on birth control pills for over 12 years. 2 years ago I went off and had a iud put in. Ever since then my acne has gone crazy. The dermatologist has put me on doxy, several different topicals and even a high blood pressure med that is supposed to help with hormonal acne. Nothing has worked! I finally gave in and started the Accutane. I have been on it for 12 days and my face has broken out really bad. It is very painful and my skin is very sensitive. My skin and lips are very dry. Every symptom I have the dr warned me of so I was expecting this to happen. I have found that if I use hope in a jar from philosophy my skin doesn't seem as dry. I have 5 different chap sticks I've been using on my lips. I hope that my skin clears up from being on Accutane. My fear is that I'm going to do this for nothing. I can't wait to hear somebody say to me how fabulous my skin looks!!

Pics 11/27 & 12/23

These are my pre accutane pics and my day 12 into accutane pics. My biggest problem is my cheeks, chin and all around my mouth

6 weeks into accutane

So I am 6 weeks into my treatment. My dr now has me on 30mg once a day. My lips are very dry and my is breaking out like crazy. I have more acne now than I have ever had in my whole life. It almost makes me want to go off of it. I am very self conscious of my skin and I keep my head down instead of up so no one can see me. I know that my skin will eventually be clear but this step is very discouraging.

Things are looking up!

I am currently into my third month and I am now on 40mg a day. All the tiny bumps on my cheeks are gone, there is nothing on my forehead or nose. I am only getting pimples on my lower cheeks and jaw line. They are nothing compared to what I was getting last month and when I do get a pimple it is usually gone in a few days where before it was around for a week or more. I am starting to feel better about my skin. I still have 5 more months to go but I am very excited to see the end result. As of right now my only side effects are dry skin, very dry lips and bloody noses almost everyday. Besides that I have been feeling pretty good while being on this med. Things are finally looking up!

Finally loving my skin!!! :)

I have now been on Accutane for about 4 1/2 months. I've been on the 40mg for almost 2 months now. My dr is so happy with the way my skin looks that she is probably goingto keep me at 40mg until I'm done with my treatment. I should be done in 2 1/2 to 3 months. My skin has finally cleared up and it is so smooth. I get a occasional pimple on my cheek but it seems to go away pretty quickly. I have a little discoloration on my cheeks from the hyperpigmentation but I'm hoping that when I am able to have some kind of laser treatment done in the future that will also be gone. Right now my only side effect is the dry skin and lips. In the beginning I was a little worried this was not going to work but it is defiantly worth it. You just need a little patience. I am so very happy that I decided to take a chance with this medication. It is truly changing my life. I am much more confidant and I'm not walking around worrying that people are only looking at my acne. I will have new pics up soon!

Sooooo Happy!!

I am currently taking 60mgs a day. I only have 1 more month left and I am finished! My skin has never looked this good. I am soo happy I decided to take this chance with this medication. My skin is so incredibly smooth. I have not one pimple anywhere on my face, chest or back. I've had dry lips pretty much the whole time I've been on it but a good chap stick has helped. For about a month I had bloody noses everyday but then that stopped. Right now I seem to be getting dry patches on my arms but I'm sure that's only because she bumped me up to 60mgs. Nothing a good moisturizer won't help. If you have the chance to try this medication I would definitely say to go for it!

6 months of Accutane and I am done!

I have taken my last dose of Accutane today and I could not be any happier with the outcome. Before I started Accutane I would be in the mirror multiple times a day picking my face and now I can honestly say that I do not have 1 pimple any where on my body! My lips are still very dry but I'm sure that will soon start to go away. I am so happy that I decided to go on this medication. I'm curious to see what the future holds for my skin. I would not hesitate to do this again if I had to. This has truly been a life changer for me. I encourage anyone who is contemplating going on Accutane to talk to your dr, do your research and give it a try.

3 months post accutane

So I've been off of Accutane for about 3 months and just this past week I have been getting tiny pimples on my chin and forehead. I woke up this morning and found one on my cheek. And for the past few weeks my skin is super oily! The pimples are nothing compared to what I've had in the past but I must say I'm a little disappointed. I know that after a while you start to get little pimples again but I was just so happy with my skin for the past 4 months. I was hoping it wouldn't happen this soon. Don't get me wrong I'm still loving my skin, just a little sad to have these little guys showing up already! Fingers crossed I never have to deal with what I had to before.

5 months post Accutane

So I've been off of Accutane for almost 5 months. I had my follow up appointment last week and I am back on topicals! My skin still looks great compared to what it did in the beginning but I'm having breakouts again. My Dr is hoping the topical works this time since my skin is now different from being on Accutane. She'll see me again in 3 months to decide what to do next. So fingers crossed this is just another crazy phase in my acne journey :)
southern tier dermotology