32 Year Old Going on Accutane -New Hartford, NY

I am a 32yo female who has always had a issue with...

I am a 32yo female who has always had a issue with mild acne. I was on birth control pills for over 12 years. 2 years ago I went off and had a iud put in. Ever since then my acne has gone crazy. The dermatologist has put me on doxy, several different topicals and even a high blood pressure med that is supposed to help with hormonal acne. Nothing has worked! I finally gave in and started the Accutane. I have been on it for 12 days and my face has broken out really bad. It is very painful and my skin is very sensitive. My skin and lips are very dry. Every symptom I have the dr warned me of so I was expecting this to happen. I have found that if I use hope in a jar from philosophy my skin doesn't seem as dry. I have 5 different chap sticks I've been using on my lips. I hope that my skin clears up from being on Accutane. My fear is that I'm going to do this for nothing. I can't wait to hear somebody say to me how fabulous my skin looks!!

Pics 11/27 & 12/23

These are my pre accutane pics and my day 12 into accutane pics. My biggest problem is my cheeks, chin and all around my mouth

6 weeks into accutane

So I am 6 weeks into my treatment. My dr now has me on 30mg once a day. My lips are very dry and my is breaking out like crazy. I have more acne now than I have ever had in my whole life. It almost makes me want to go off of it. I am very self conscious of my skin and I keep my head down instead of up so no one can see me. I know that my skin will eventually be clear but this step is very discouraging.

Things are looking up!

I am currently into my third month and I am now on 40mg a day. All the tiny bumps on my cheeks are gone, there is nothing on my forehead or nose. I am only getting pimples on my lower cheeks and jaw line. They are nothing compared to what I was getting last month and when I do get a pimple it is usually gone in a few days where before it was around for a week or more. I am starting to feel better about my skin. I still have 5 more months to go but I am very excited to see the end result. As of right now my only side effects are dry skin, very dry lips and bloody noses almost everyday. Besides that I have been feeling pretty good while being on this med. Things are finally looking up!

Finally loving my skin!!! :)

I have now been on Accutane for about 4 1/2 months. I've been on the 40mg for almost 2 months now. My dr is so happy with the way my skin looks that she is probably goingto keep me at 40mg until I'm done with my treatment. I should be done in 2 1/2 to 3 months. My skin has finally cleared up and it is so smooth. I get a occasional pimple on my cheek but it seems to go away pretty quickly. I have a little discoloration on my cheeks from the hyperpigmentation but I'm hoping that when I am able to have some kind of laser treatment done in the future that will also be gone. Right now my only side effect is the dry skin and lips. In the beginning I was a little worried this was not going to work but it is defiantly worth it. You just need a little patience. I am so very happy that I decided to take a chance with this medication. It is truly changing my life. I am much more confidant and I'm not walking around worrying that people are only looking at my acne. I will have new pics up soon!

Sooooo Happy!!

I am currently taking 60mgs a day. I only have 1 more month left and I am finished! My skin has never looked this good. I am soo happy I decided to take this chance with this medication. My skin is so incredibly smooth. I have not one pimple anywhere on my face, chest or back. I've had dry lips pretty much the whole time I've been on it but a good chap stick has helped. For about a month I had bloody noses everyday but then that stopped. Right now I seem to be getting dry patches on my arms but I'm sure that's only because she bumped me up to 60mgs. Nothing a good moisturizer won't help. If you have the chance to try this medication I would definitely say to go for it!

6 months of Accutane and I am done!

I have taken my last dose of Accutane today and I could not be any happier with the outcome. Before I started Accutane I would be in the mirror multiple times a day picking my face and now I can honestly say that I do not have 1 pimple any where on my body! My lips are still very dry but I'm sure that will soon start to go away. I am so happy that I decided to go on this medication. I'm curious to see what the future holds for my skin. I would not hesitate to do this again if I had to. This has truly been a life changer for me. I encourage anyone who is contemplating going on Accutane to talk to your dr, do your research and give it a try.

3 months post accutane

So I've been off of Accutane for about 3 months and just this past week I have been getting tiny pimples on my chin and forehead. I woke up this morning and found one on my cheek. And for the past few weeks my skin is super oily! The pimples are nothing compared to what I've had in the past but I must say I'm a little disappointed. I know that after a while you start to get little pimples again but I was just so happy with my skin for the past 4 months. I was hoping it wouldn't happen this soon. Don't get me wrong I'm still loving my skin, just a little sad to have these little guys showing up already! Fingers crossed I never have to deal with what I had to before.
southern tier dermotology

Sorry to hear that, however we are human and we do get pimples from time to time...so don't worry about it. As for your oily skin, there could be a number of reasons - change in weather, stress, hormonal....just keep an eye on it and return to your dermatologist if the condition worsens. Take care!
Thank you for writing this. I just turned 32 and have moderate acne like you did. I'm so happy for you. I have too tried sprinolactone, topicals, antibiotics, bcp... nothing has worked! I'm ready for results. . Been suffering since the age of 14, it's time to say goodbye to acne.. thank you again. Your skin looks amazing!
Thank you so much! I am soo happy with the way my skin looks. It's definitely worth trying. This medication gave me back my confidence. Good luck with your journey!
You give me hope
Congrats!!! Thrilled to hear how happy you are. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us :)
I took accutane twice in my early to mid 20's. I didn't have horrible acne, but enough to bother me and not much luck with other treatments. During my late 20's, my skin finally normalized. I received compliments all the time about how nice my complexion was. Believe me, paying the price for it twice is not a fun experience! I am now in my mid 30's and have had a relapse in mild (but more than usual) breakouts. This has happened after I switched from an oral birth control to an arm implant birth control. I am currently on a low, daily dose of antibiotics which is helping. With that said, I do not ever regret going through the painful and embarrassing process of Accutane (2 times).
Hi. I am reading your story and was thinking did I write it? Bc it so similar to what happen with me. I ma 30 years old, year ago I switch off from birth control pills (I was on them 9 years or more) I got immediatly pregnant (it was uncusseful) and I got worse acne ever. I used to have bad skin abd BCP helped me a lot before. So now I ma finishing accutane. my skin is clearly but scars look worse. I actualy got big keloid scar while straggeling with my acne after birth control (the doctor gave me glicolic acid 10 that burn my very oily skin an that moment,) so skin is dry now scars look worse but skin is clearly I still have small 1 break out and one is going to be (bc it under skin) I was 11 months on roa. I will need treatment later for scars but I do hope it improve the smoothness of the skin but I do not expect baby skin or perfect skin any more. But I am grateful I found right doctor any way. Good luck to you. Sorry english is my second language
I am a 31/f I can totally relate to your story. It is truly awful to still have acne, at 31. I was too scared to try Accutane before. I am going to give it a try too. My daughter is 6, and she asked me why did I have so many boo boos on my face all the time. Honestly...I wanted to cry. So I went to get my first blood test, and in a few weeks I will start my journey as well. I just wanted to comment on your post Please let us know how your treatment is going. Good luck!
Thanks for the update, sorry to hear that you are breaking out so badly but I understand that this can happen, I found this FAQ on the site that speaks to this

DOES EVERYONE EXPERIENCE AN INITIAL BREAKOUT WHEN ON ACCUTANE?

I know it's uncomfortable when you have bad breakouts and it makes you want to hide your face, but I say keep your chin up, don't worry about what others think, put a smile on your face and keep going forward.

Keep us posted ok :)

Dr. Dan's Cortiblam will save your lips!!! I was using just as many chapstick balms as you and none of them worked they actually made them dryer. I was able to purchase it online on Amazon for cheaper. Highly recommend!!! It is made for Accutane users.
Thanks for sharing your pictures, your skin looks less red and inflamed in the after shot - you are off to a great start! I look forward to following our progress. Did you ever try a diet journal to see if you have any trigger foods?

Welcome to the community :) I can relate on how frustrating adult acne can be, mine started at age 18 and lasted well into my 30's!! Your side effects seem in line with everyone else, dry lips is so common - lots of water :)

What is your dosage?

I am on 20mgs a day right now. I never would have thought a age 32 I'd be going through this. I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel!

There totally is, don't worry! I thought my acne would never go away... I had cystic and it was horrible!! I remember my first date with my now husband, we were going out for New Years Eve and I had a gigantic cyst on my cheek and I wanted to crawl under a blanket and never come out. Keep working towards a resolution and you will find what works for you ;)

It will be a light. I am staring to notice a difference. I am on 40mg twice a day and don't know if it's to strong cause I've been feeling a pain in my chest. Have experienced any muscle pain?
I have never used Accutane - I would suggest you follow up with your doctor to check out the pain in your chest, maybe your dosage needs to be adjusted. Please keep us posted - take care!!
I have not experienced any chest pains but I'm only on 20mgs a day right now. My biggest side effect is how dry my skin and lips are. I think after a month of the 20mgs then she will bump me up to a higher dose.