Septoplasty/Tip Rhinoplasty - Middleton, WI

I've always hated my nose. It was the one thing...

I've always hated my nose. It was the one thing about myself I always wanted to change. It was crooked and I felt like it didn't fit my face. It looked different in pictures depending on the angle of the camera. I had a "good side" and a "bad side." In high school, I often cried over pictures of my "bad side," ripping them up as soon as I got them in my hands. In college, I was quick to "untag" myself in pictures or avoid being in them altogether.

In 2008, I began having pains around my eyes. I thought I needed glasses. I began having chronic sinus infections. In 2012, an MRI showed I had a severe deviated septum. I was given steroid sprays, but decided that I wanted to have septoplasty to avoid the effects of long-term steroid use. My brother had the surgery, and my mom was suffering the effects of using nasal sprays for so long, so it was an easy decision.

Of course, once I decided on septoplasty, I knew right away that I wanted rhinoplasty with the procedure (if you're going to straighten the inside, why not straighten the whole nose too?!). I was afraid at first at what other people would think, but I realized that this is what I wanted to be happy. I was not going to turn down this opportunity to feel good on the outside because of what other people might say. Surprisingly, my family was very supportive. I scheduled my December surgery in July, and anxiously counted down the days.

The surgery went very well, better than I expected! Although I swelled up a lot the day after surgery, I did not have much pain. I was very diligent with taking my pain medication and took it every four hours, even setting alarms while I slept at night (highly recommend doing this- stay ahead of the pain!). Post-surgery was more just annoying than painful. Since I had splints in my nose from the septoplasty, I had to breath through my mouth the entire time and could not taste any food! I slept in a recliner and had my vaporizer by my side every night. The most annoying thing was the drainage and bubbling in my nose. Although I couldn't breath through my nose, exhaling through my mouth and swallowing created pressure that pushed drainage out of my nose, which made a high-pitched squeaking sound. My fiance said it woke him up sometimes during the night! :) Not painful, just annoying. Also, the oral steroid and pain medication gave me nightmares and made me itchy, but it was bearable. Overall, it was not a bad experience. Now my tonsillectomy...that was a different story. If you have that done, then I feel bad for you! :)

Getting the cast off and splints out and seeing my new nose for the first time was a life-changing experience. I was thrilled with the results. I even cried for an hour because I could not believe the nose I now had. I would definitely recommend this surgery to anyone who is considering it. Now, am I saying that cosmetic surgery will rid you of all self-esteem issues and that everyone should get it? No. But if it is something that you truly want, why not go for it? Some people save up for a new car, a vacation, or a new wardrobe. I saved up for this "nose job," and I'm sure glad I did!

Hi 1116! I am soooo glad you are happy with your results. I too had Dr Marcus do my rhinoplasty, and upper and lower blepharoplasty. I too am happy with my outcomes. I also feel he is very attentive to his patients and does respond to emails in a very timely manner. Wonderful staff and entire experience.
You did your homework, went after what you wanted and got a great result! I'm very happy for you. Thanks so much for sharing on RealSelf!
He did an amazing job! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Feeling Good!

I wanted to add that I haven't had any sinus headaches or eye pain since I had the surgery done! Feels great to have clear sinuses! :)

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Pics after my Revision on 7-2-14

I had a revision with Dr. Marcus on 7-2-14 to fix a drooping tip due to scar tissue formation (just how my body healed!). It was a much quicker surgery. I hope my nose stays this way! :)

Beautiful results! I'm so happy for you :)
Thank you so much! :)
He certainly is one of the best! My best surgery experience!
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

I was very careful when selecting a doctor to perform my septoplasty/rhinoplasty. I live in Green Bay, and looked at many doctors in the area, but Dr. Ben Marcus at UW-Health Transformations appeared to have the most consistent reviews, so I chose to make the drive to Middleton. It was one of the best decisions I ever made! Dr. Ben Marcus is one of the most caring and compassionate doctors I have ever met. He made me feel at ease at my consultation and surgery. I was very happy with the outcome. After my initial procedure, he was very quick to respond to my many emails. In addition, Dr. Marcus did everything he could to work me into his schedule when I needed a quick revision surgery to touch up the tip of my nose. Since I was on a deadline (a wedding approaching), he made time for me and let me know the plan of action. I am very happy with my revision surgery results. Thank you, Dr. Marcus! I am ready for those wedding pictures! :)