Post Op Rhinoplasty - Swelling after Splint Removed (Manila, Philippines)

I'm from the US and I had rhinoplasty with...

I'm from the US and I had rhinoplasty with Gore-tex procedure done 8 days ago in Manila with a well-known and pretty successful group of plastic surgeons. I just had my splint removed earlier today and I was horrified at the swelling. My original nose had bulbous round tip and the sides were very wide (fat-looking when I smiled). After the splint came off, the sides of my nose looked great because it looks smaller and they maintained a similar shape from my original nose. Quarter view, side view and top view is the worst. They fractured my bone because they said it was very wide and also said that my bridge started too low below my eyes. They implanted Gore-tex and raised my bridge by 2-4mm.

Doctor notes before surgery:
Focus of the surgery will be on the nasal tip, to defat as much as surrounding soft tissues and increase nasal tip projection using strong cartilage harvested from the nasal septum and part of the ear cartilage. Narrowing of the nasal bone is also advised. The height of the nose should be increased by around 2-4mm using soft gore-tex. I don’t recommend on foregoing the implant as this will cause disproportion and misdraping of the nasal skin. Lastly correction of the hanging alae will be complimentary to the new nasal tip.

When my nose was revealed today, it looked longer and the tip looks really round. I look like a witch right now. My doctor says swelling should subside within 2-3 weeks, but I wonder if there is anything I can do to help it heal faster? It looks really bad.

It's been 13 days after surgery and it seems like...

It's been 13 days after surgery and it seems like it's swelling is going down a bit. It still looks awful from the side views, but I have hope!

It's been 5 weeks post op and I'm starting to love...

It's been 5 weeks post op and I'm starting to love my new nose. It's still a bit swollen and numb at the tip, but I was told that I might have to wait 6-12 months for it to take its true shape. My upper lip is still stiff and I'm scared to open my mouth to wide. I posted more pics.

15 weeks post op

It's been almost 15 weeks now and my nose is SLOWLY getting softer. Still swollen and hard at the tip, but slowly becoming more flexible over time. Upper lip isn't as stiff anymore and I'm able to smile as wide as I want. :D

No one notices in person unless I point it out, but my nose is still a little bit crooked from when they took the cast off. I don't think that's going to go away even after the swelling (but who knows, we will see over time).

6 months post op

It's been 6 months now and my nose is just a little stiff at the tip when i scrunch it. Still feels like there's something foreign in there (the goretex). It doesn't bother me at all, but I wonder if that feeling will ever go away. I had a facial a little over a month ago because I desperately needed to get my blackheads extracted (especially around me nose area). I was scared to at first and not sure if it was a good idea, but it seemed fine afterwards. It was a little sensitive, so I may need to tell my esthetician to be a little more gentle next time. Anyone know of any safer solutions? I tried using just Boscia strips and masks, but I needed deeper cleansing because I started to break out. I can't wait a year to get a facial. :(

I just updated new pictures. If you look, you can tell that my nose is still crooked, making one of my alar sides look smaller than the other. I doubt at this point that that will go away.

Overall, still pretty happy with it other than the fact that it's crooked.

oops, more pics

About 27 weeks post op

Learning how to pose with angles in pictures because of my slightly crooked nose. Haha!

I just got over a cold. I've been pretty healthy and I haven't gotten this sick since last year. I became very congested and I let my nose run because I was scared to blow my nose too hard. I started to get annoyed with it so I tried blowing my nose a little harder each time and it seemed okay. Nose still feels like there's something foreign in it, but it's completely flexible now! Before I was terrified it would rip if I stretched it, but not anymore. Progress!

I don't know if this helps...

the picture is really bad quality, but here's a picture of me right after my cast was removed. really embarrassing - swelling at its worst, no make up, and just awful.
Shimmian Manila: Dr. Levi Lansangan + Dr. Mark Fernandez

Family referred me.

Hi thisid, I am planning to get my nose done very soon and the doctor assigned is Dr. Mark Fernandez of Shimmian Medical Center (SM North Edsa). Who did your nose job, Dr. Levi or Dr. Mark. I am still on my 50/50 decision making stage. Please help.
It looks really good, iwant one too
it looks so good!!
Hi thisisd!:) i sent u a message. I hope u can read it :)
hi thisisd! I had also goretex and ear cartilage in my nosetip at shimmian manila. can i ask when does the internal nose swelling subside? and ur breathing? i am 3 weeks post op and its still hard for me to breathe and im panicking.:( also i can feel the stiffness of my nosetip when i move my upperlip. Will this feeling be gone? I hope u can help me bec im super depress with my decision :(
Hi did u also consider other clinic for your rhinoplasty? How about belo med? I would just like to know. Coz i consulted with belo med the doctor explained to me what needs to be done. Something like moving the bone of my nose...the stitch would be sides and the middle. Hope you can help me! I really want to have my nose job since highschool. Im confused right now seeing most people undergone nose sugery and totally noticeable. I think ur nose is beautifully done! Ur so pretty
Hi, just want to ask if you also considered belo medical for your rhinoplasty? I had a consultation with belo but i was afraid with what the doctor told me on what he'll do to my nose. Something about moving the middle bone of my nose to be pointed. Im really not sure if thats the best way to make my nose better. I like ur new nose very beautiful.
hi. I was just wonderig if you are able to move ur nosetip now? I am 3 weeks post op now and im very unconfortable with my nosetip. It gives a little pain if i move my mouth. I can feel the tip if i try to bite my upper lip. Do u have thesame experience as well? I was just so scared i was not expecting for this :( i hope you can help me..:(
Thank you for posting your review. Very honest and helpful for people who is considering same procedure. I am in the US and currently recuperating from my second surgery of my third surgery to have my nose reconstructed. I have a paraffin injected in my nose in 1997 and I was dumb back then. Cosmetic surgery back then was not as talked about as now. I made a big mistake having that injection done for I am suffering from it now. I have had at least six surgeries done to correct it. Having an experienced and great doctor makes a huge difference. Two of my surgeries were done here in the US. I thank God for taking me to Houston, TX and I found one of the best doctor in the US. I just had forehead flap surgery with rib graft and I am done with two surgeries with DR Eugene Alford. My last one would be on April 24, 2014. He is an amazing doctor!!
Check out the profile of Dr. Carlos Lasa. I went to him in 2007 to remove an injected material in my nose. He is a good and nice doctor.
Hello did you have alarplasty along with tip and bridge done?
Hi. Really beautiful. When did u have ur rhinoplasty?did your friends or someone noticed that u had one. Or they just noticed that you re blooming..
I hope we can send e-mails. I'm planning to get my nose done but not sure which doctor I should go to.
I'm searching for Filipino reviews who have done rhinoplasty in Korea, but I couldn't fine any. Have u guys seen their before & after pics? Totally amazing!!! esp their jaw reduction surgery which i would like to have as well:( But i don't know.. pictures are still. I saw some people that are pretty yet somehow they look weird, bcoz of those works done. Even those celebrities who can afford the most expensive surgeons like Ruffa Gutierrez & Gretchen Baretto look weird now
this is the most, or probably the only detailed and honest review abt philippine rhinoplasty i have ever read on the net. ur review is reallyhelpful!:) Anyway, have u heard abt nose fillers? It's in a nonsurgical nose job ideally for minor changes, like nose bump, crookedness, and to slightly increase the height of nose bridge, and i've read it can't do so much abt bulbous tip. they actually recommend this better than rhinoplasty if u don't need that drastic change. the only downfall is u have to re-inject every year and it's pricey. the good thing though is that it's reversible in case u don't like it. So maybe u can consider the nose filler for ur slightly crooked nose.. as i've also read people doing it after to perfect their nose after rhinoplasty
Thank you! I had such a hard time trying to find reviews about doctors in the Philippines. i wish that wasn't the case, i wouldn't have wasted a week+ or pushing back my surgery date looking for a last minute doctor. i didn't feel good about the original doctor i was consulting with when I finally arrived. On top of that, i didn't see a lot of detailed reviews anywhere when I was freaking out all by myself about the swelling. All i kept reading was "wait 6 months to a year" and that was it! I was not at ease for a whole month. Oh cool, i've never heard of that non surgical procedure. It's okay, I told myself that this was it for me. I'm happy with the results overall, so I don't want to mess with it anymore. I also had breast aug at the same time (I didn't write a review about it because I feel like there's enough information out there). Also, the last thing I want is to get addicted to cosmetic surgery! It's so easy to pick on things you want to perfect about yourself. I'm satisfied now and I hope you will be too :) ...and let me know if you have anymore questions along the way!
hmm.. putting ur best angle aside, is the crookedness looks obvious?? coz ur latest pic looks gorgeous! im still hesitant if i should do in philippines with dr. levi though.. but im know considering shimmian korea, but is quite hesitant bcoz it might be a totally different aesthetic standard or culture there. it seems the best country in asia for surgery though
thank you! but yes, to me the crooked nose is obvious. it's not symmetrical because of how they put the cast on (so be sure to speak to your doctor if you feel like something isn't right). when i point it out to my friends, they notice it too... but only when i point it out. if money and convenience wasn't an issue, i probably would've considered Korea. they seem to do pretty amazing work over there. i was talking to someone from korea and she said that it cost just as much US $$ to get it done there. i was also hearing rumors that Shimmian Manila shows work from the doctor at Shimmian Korea. i'm not sure if this is true, but maybe you can ask? i'm curious as well, but i found out after i posted this review. no use in asking anymore.
I just had a rhinoplasty last august 9, 2013.. I'm so depress that my nose in upper is to high for my face.. My doctor said it will go down because its only swelling.. I can see the shape of gore tex implant. It is level to my eyebrow. I am so desperate to know if this wil fine soon. Not natural looks
I completely understand, but you should give it some time. I felt the exact same way after 1-1.5 months after they took the cast off. Even afterwards 3-4 months later, I was not completely satisfied with my nose.
Thanks for sharing your experiences and it gives me hope too to finally do it also. I've been planning it for a year already and i'm getting excited because of your pictures. You really look beautiful!!!! May i know how much it cost with your doctor at shimmian? I'm considering going to shinagawa though.
Thank you so much! It cost me around $2,100 US dollars (whatever that is converted into pesos). I have never heard of Shinagawa. Best of luck to you!
With your slightly crooked nose I don't think it will change and with the uncomfortable feeling you have with your new nose, don't worry it will go away. Later on you won't even feel that u had surgery. Just to let you know your nose looks good on you. You are beautiful!
Thank you! No, I don't think it will suddenly straighten out on its own. The most I can hope for is for the swelling from the tip of my nose to decrease just a little more. It's looking better and better, and I am overall satisfied with it. Thanks again!
heyy gurl, i was searching high & low about rhinoplasty experiences with Dr. Levi and I am just completely on a 50/50. Im also staying overseas, in Singapore, and in case I would like to undergo this surgery on my own. I can see the slight crookedness of ur nose, did it get better? I have quite afew questions to ask u, and I would greatly appreciate ur information. In a way you will be a part of my decision whether or not I should go, as u have gone through it all. Any fallbacks from this surgery at this point??