Rhinoplasty for Hump, Upturned Nose and Excessive Columella Showing/large Nostrils – London, UK

Hey, I'm S and I am 21 years old. I have always...

Hey, I'm S and I am 21 years old. I have always hated my nose and even though a lot of my friends say there's nothing wrong with it, I see everything wrong with it. First of all, it has a bump from the side and while that's not a huge hump, the thing that bothers me the most is how much my nostrils are showing. It's ridiculous, you can see inside my nose at all angles and they are large. My columella sticks down very low plus my nose is just upturned overall.
I have been looking for a suitable surgeon and haven't found one without bad reviews as well. A good friend of mine that is a plastic surgeon as well recommended dr. Stefan Gonschior with MYA clinic.
I went in for a consultation and he was very friendly and reassuring and also didn't seem to push me into having it done. It will be an open rhinoplasty and he asked for the liberty of deciding whether to do certain procedures on the operating table as he always goes with his gut. While that might seem worrying, I think and hope that such a praised surgeon certainly knows better than me which procedures work better. I prefer having a subtler result rather than him trying to change too much and end up looking a mess!

I booked my rhinoplasty for the 8th of April and am very excited and looking forward to it! I will update accordingly.

S x
(The cost is £6800 but I put the equivalent in $ as it would't let me change it.)

Update of before side view

Update front view

Okay, for the girls that said I don't need it, this is a better picture. Look at how my columella hangs ridiculously low and how crooked the nose looks when I smile. Plus the permanent excessive nostril show.

One week till my surgery

I will be having my rhinoplasty one week from now and I am very nervous! I went in and had a second consultation with dr Gonschior where We decided together than rather than shaving my collumela he will slightly derotate my tip as to have less nostril show. Basically making my upper lip /nose angle straigther as now it's quite upturned. I decided against having my collumela shaved off because dr G informed me that doing so will actually increase the extent of my nostrils' visibility from front view.
After the main procedure he will decide whether I need a alar base reduction (shrinking the size of the nostrils with two incisions on the lower part of the nostril).

3 days Post Op

I had my surgery Tuesday afternoon and it has been almost 3 days now. The pain is not bad, I can just feel the tightness of my stitches and the general swelling and bruising. Also, not being able to breathe through my nose is quite frustrating. Didn't have any nausea but was a bit shaky after I woke up.

I had a tiny bit taken in from my nostrils too so I have several stitches. The inside of my nose is still very swollen and there is quite a lot of discharge/snot. My side view is straight like I asked for.

There isn't a lot that I can look at just yet as everything feels so swollen. I can't wait for my swelling and bruising to go down.

I get my stitches out in 4 days and my cast off in another 10; my surgeon insists on the cast being kept on for an additional week.

Stitches are out

I had my stitches removed today and it hurt so much! I would have never thought it can hurt so bad but as I had so many of them (because of the alar base reduction incisions too) and my nose being irritated as I have a cold and I have a very runny nose and this probably didnt help.

I don't really have a lot to say at the moment as I am waiting to have my cast removed in 7 days. The tip does seem to be very swollen and upturned and I am waiting for this to come down hopefully in time. The hump is gone and profile seems pretty straight like I requested (I hate too much of a scoop); the nostrils are quite a bit smaller and that bit of hanging columella is gone. Only complaint so far is how upturned it looks but then again I have always had it upturned and Dr explained he can't make it that much straighter. Especially since he removed the hanging columella, the angle is bound to be more accentuated.

Right now I am trying not to worry too much and let it settle before I make any harsh assumptions.
Dr. Stefan Gonschior

Hi, Dont worry if other girls say you dont need surgery or your nose is fine. i have rhinoplasty booked for the 8th of May and many friends and family say i dont need to go through with it. But if its affects you and your confidence then it was right for you. hope you get the results you wanted my love!! X
Sabri, how are you? How did the surgery go?
I don't think your columella hangs too much, and hopefully he has clarified how he will shorten that yet not increase nostril show by doing so. Just make sure you are clear on your procedure is all. If it was mine I wouldn't dream of touching it, even if I was not speaking as someone with a bad rhino. But good luck with your choice!
Sorry just read how you are going with derotation. Sounds like a more sensical plan based on your photos! Best wishes :)
Good luck. He performed alar base reduction in my friend and her nose collapsed. Glad he won't shorten your columella as he did this to me and now I can't ever get it back and my revision is very very complex. A top surgeon has given me a full report of everything wrong with my nose. I will need cartilage grafts from several donor sites to repair the damage in a multi stage revision. But I've been warned it will never look normal again
To add insult to injury he won't even see me now for a post op
Even after the picture you just posted, I still think you don't need surgery, you are very pretty and nose isn't that bad but do whatever makes you happy because it's your nose you're face and we all have our insecurities.
Have you considered filler for your profile? Overall, your nose is very nice and I really think you shouldn't have a rhino.
For the enth time, the hump on my nose ISN'T my main concern. What I want to fix is the hanging columella and large, showing nostrils. I appreciate everyone's opinion and advice but just because my nose isn't terrible to begin with doesn't mean I shouldn't get rhinoplasty. It's been bothering me for years and even though the changes will not be drastic, it is what I want. Plus, it's not as obvious in pictures as it is in real life, and trust me, from most angles you can see everything inside of my nose! The insides of my nose are showing in 90% of angles. It is embarrassing and humiliating and I have to think about my nostril hair showing all the time and I have to always be aware I might have something hanging out of my nose.
I feel ya! I have showy nostrils, too! And really dislike them.
I didn't know it is that bad and as you said in photos it doesn't show that it's bad. Go ahead then and all the best to you!
I thought these were after pictures and I came to see who did such a beautiful job. It looks upturn and perfect nose and size. The bump looks more like a beautiful structural bone. I wouldn't change it, but if you really insist to have the bump shaved down a tad and more upturned.. I can see that on you too. Just hard to change a beautiful nose already. So I'm having a similar issue though because I got assaulted and I had a bump like yours that sometimes I worried about but mostly I realized it added beautiful bone structure but then I got assaulted and now it looks and is more broken. I have to see a surgeon and consult but don't want to overdo it ..something that looks perfect already but want to make worth a surgery so maybe make it more upturned even slightly and more symmetrical but I'm hoping seeing digitally altered pictures of the expected results can really help. seeing your pictures helped me realize though that a tiny appearing bump is no worry but now I have this issue but then again maybe it can look even better without it Can you post after pictures or send to me. :)
I wouldn't recommend it. You're very beautiful as you are. Please read my review. There is no turning back with rhinoplasty and it is an emotional roller coaster x
Hey Alicia, I think your results are pretty amazing. I know it won't be easy in my first few weeks but I am willing to take that risk.
I wish I had your small nose! If I did I never would have started with this wretched rhinoplasty process. It is emotionally and financially taxing and sometimes taking away parts of the nose reveals new issues and asymmetry. I know that there are aspects of your nose that bother you but trust me you are beautiful.
My rhinoplasty is also on the 8th of April! Hopefully we can get through this together and have amazing noses at the end :):)
You don;t need it hun. Please reconsider. If you must go through with it, see Lucian Ion or Bassim Matti, they do a lot of Mr Gonschior's revisions. Please don;t go to him x
I have heard a lot of good things about Lucian Ion, he is also a fellow Romanian and that would be nice. I am starting to get worried at all these unsatisfied clients of dr Gonschior's.
There are so many cases, google him and see on here. Please don't do it to yourself, trust me, he will not do what you want. I'm trying to say it as harshly as I can on here. Please go to ion he is the same price and very skilled, he does not have all these unhappy people. It's not just me or a handful of people. I am in the process of litigation and my solicitor have dealt with him and mya many times x
After doing a night of research on dr Lucian Ion and Bassim Matti, they have exactly like dr Gonschior, a few very bad reviews from unhappy clients. But they are all considered the best rhinoplasty surgeons in London. I will never find a plastic surgeon that has nothing but happy clients. And I really like dr Gonschior and feel like he is my best bet. I am not discrediting your experience with him, and I am very sorry it has happened to you, but he has many other happy patients and you are only a couple of weeks post-op. I can't base my decision off of what a couple of people on the internet are saying, I hope you can understand. And I hope that as time passes and swelling goes down, you'll be happier with your nose x
I'm three weeks Hun. Best of luck I hope you are happy with your outcome x
I also had mr gonschior. I'm 4 mths PO. I don't think my nose is going to improve :( I wanted to keep it long and pointy. My nose also wasn't bad I just wanted it perfecting a little, slight crook making more straight and small hump removed. And slight upturn. I feel too much has been removed and my nose looks flat and droopy. I don't know what's happened :-( mr G won't see me again until my 1 year check up although I addressed my concerns at my first and only check up. I just hope I can get this fixed. I feel horrendous. I look back at my old nose wishing I never did this. X
He seriously won't see you before then?! Even after all I have been through my surgeon made it clear I could always come see him. And first and only check up and he won't see you until a year? Red flags. Thank you so much for sharing and so sorry for your experience.
He won't see me either :-(
Hey Angie, I updated with a side view picture but as I said, the hump isn't my biggest concern. The hanging columella and large nostrils are my main concern.