Glad I Did It - Las Vegas, NV

I can't remember a time that people didn't...

I can't remember a time that people didn't make comments about my "Jewish" nose. I've always hated it and it has always taken away from my self confidence.

After a series of very fortunate events (mostly financial) I'm having rhinoplasty done in about four weeks. I found my doctor through a recommendation from another medical professional in Las Vegas. I have had my appointment scheduled now since February but I'm starting to get very anxious and nervous.

I had my initial consultation back at the beginning of January and my doctor seems very nice and confident. I truly hope it turns out better....I am not looking for perfection, just improvement. I don't want my nose to be the first thing that people notice on my face anymore. I know it is still pretty far away but I will post "after" photos once the procedure has been done

It's not even 24 hours after my surgery and i...

it's not even 24 hours after my surgery and i feel great! my doctor told me that it was really common to get sick from the anesthesia and swallowing blood during surgery but i felt totally fine once i woke up. i was a little queasy when i was waking up but as soon as they brought my bp and heart rate down i was fine. so far there is hardly any pain at all and i haven't even needed tylenol much less the prescription pain meds.

my throat is still a little sore from having the tube down it but nothing too bad. honestly i think the hardest part is having to sleep on my back with my head elevated. that and having to hear my cat meowing and scratching at my bedroom door since i'm not allowed to let him in my room :)

i still can't really tell what my nose looks like, but from what i can see it definitely looks better than before. as of right now i would say it was worth it but of course i will have to see the final results to be sure

It's been about a week since i got my cast off...

it's been about a week since i got my cast off. my nose is still pretty swollen in the tip but it looks so much better than it did before. even though my doctor was a little more expensive than the rest, i wanted something very natural and his before and after pictures were the closest to what i was looking for. my doctor was not anticipating having to do open rhinoplasty, but ended up having to once in the OR. he said that with the way my nose was shaped he couldn't get full access to all the cartilage with the closed approach. i'm still hoping that the swelling in the tip will go down and i'm sure it will so i will post more pictures later on.

So it's now one year past my first rhinoplasty and...

So it's now one year past my first rhinoplasty and I just underwent a revision a week ago. My doctor offered to do the revision free of charge (except for anesthesia) because he was not satisfied with the results. I was so nervous and cried for about a week prior to my surgery because I didn't trust him after the outcome of the first surgery. I was so unhappy with the results of the first rhinoplasty and I blamed him. What I didn't realize is that a lot of the reason for the asymmetry in the tip of my nose was because of uneven scarring so it didn't have as much to do with my surgeon as just the way my body healed. My doctor was also trying to be conservative during the first surgery so that my nose wouldn't look like I had a rhinoplasty.

During my revision, I was just put under local anesthesia with sedation. I was pretty worried about what it would be like to be awake during the procedure but it wasn't bad at all. I would actually prefer it to general anesthesia. I was able to talk to my surgeon and the nurses and they were joking around with me during the procedure. They were all so nice, not to mention the lovely cocktail of medications that I had in my body.

I have to say, I'm so happy that, despite my fears, I went through with the revision. My nose looks a thousand times better than it did after the first surgery and about a million times better than it looked before that. My doctor only did cartilage work on the tip because the bridge of my nose looked great. He used sutures in the tip and shaved down a little bit more of the supratip cartilage to get rid of my pollybeak. I'll post some more photos when the swelling goes down but I thought I'd let those of you out there who aren't satisfied with your rhinoplasty, there is hope!

It's now two weeks after my revision and my...

It's now two weeks after my revision and my swelling is going down so fast. I definitely don't think it went down this fast last time. I'm starting to see the results more and more every day. I love my profile from one side but from the other, I'm still a little skeptical. I really wish my nose wasn't so asymmetrical but I have to say that the improvements are amazing. I'm still glad I had the surgery

It's 5 weeks after my revision and I am still very...

It's 5 weeks after my revision and I am still very happy with my decision. I feel like I finally look like a normal person these days! :)
Dr. Benjamin Rodriguez

im in vegas and am in the same boat u were how much did it cost?
I didn't have to pay for the revision since I the same doctor who did my first surgery offered to do the revision. I'm over a year out from that one and ended up having to get a third surgery with a different doctor to fix what the first one messed up. I would not suggest going to the same doc that I went to in Vegas. The surgeon that I went to this time is located in Denver, CO and he is fantastic. The cost of this revision was approximately $10k.
I went to Dr. Benjamin Rodriguez. He does a lot of mission work overseas for cleft lips and cleft pallets so he's used to difficult issues. I would suggest going to a few other doctors to get other opinions, though just to make sure you are comfortable with him. I didn't go to see any other surgeons in Las Vegas so I wouldn't have any other recommendations
I'm also in Las Vegas and I need a revision due to difficulty breathing through my nose now. Who is your surgeon?
Dr. Terrence Higgins is also a very talented PS in Las Vegas, NV.
Wow it looks so good now!!! Happy for you!
Thank you! It's so nice to not have to worry about whether people are staring at my nose anymore :) Your nose looks great!
Much better! I bet you're super excited! Looks great.
Thank you so much for your encouraging words! It's far from perfect and there is still a little bit of asymmetry in the tip but I believe I'll just have to deal with this since I'd rather not have to undergo another surgery. Compared to what I was working with before my first surgery, I'd say my nose is looking pretty good :)
Ugh, I feel your pain girl. I cant even keep track of how many times people have asked me if I was jewish just becaue of my nose and yet there is nothing wrong with being jewish, but I am not. It really doesnt help that I have naturally curly hair too. lol

Keep in touch
Haha I don't really know why being called Jewish is so offensive but for some reason it just kinda sucks. I think that guys usually look pretty good with Jew noses but us poor women just can't always seem to pull it off (or the media makes a bigger deal out of it?). You are beautiful as you are now. Your nose looks like it has a few similarities as mine did before I had either of the surgeries. All of the doctors on the Q&A section here on RealSelf have said that my nose was very difficult to begin with so I guess I'd have to say to make sure you go to someone who has done lots of noses, both "difficult" and "easy" so that you can avoid a situation like mine and you can make sure you get exactly what you want. Good luck to you :)

Nice result! Love it.

thank you, angie!
ur nose is much more smoothed and refined now, glad u seem happy!!!
thanks peanut. your nose looks great too!
I'm home and recovering! Surgery went well. I'm a bit bruised and swollen but the scary part is over and now I just have to heal. The entire experience was so much better than I had expected -- ok dreaded. Everyone in the office was great and made me feel so comfortable and well taken care of.

I'll write more of a recap later, but for now, I'm going to go relax.
glad to hear that you are doing well!
Thank you for the post. I'll share some pictures soon. Right now I'm drinking water, taking arnica and Vitamin C. But when this is all over and I'm recovering, I'm going to breathe a huge sigh of relief and enjoy a nice glass of wine -- maybe 2, probably 2.

I keep thinking about how nervous I am for tomorrow and that for my doctor it's just a day at the office.
Hi,
Just figured I'd add another voice here.. my surgery is for tomorrow at 7:30 and I'm finding these posts reassuring; it's nice to feel like we're going through this together.
good luck to you! you are not alone! be sure to keep us updated. excited for you
i am in the same boat as you friend! My Rhinoplasty is set for June 7th! Its nearly a month away and I'm already nervous. Ive never been put to sleep before either and Im leary about the drugs and how Im going to feel. I want it so bad though. I just hope im happy with the result b/c i am really hard on myself and expect nothing but the best out of this guy lol. Be sure to post some pics!
all i can say it is worth it ,, you will be okay ..
I completely understand! It's hard to put your trust in someone that you don't even hardly know, especially with something as big as changing your face! I will definitely update throughout the process and post some before and after pics once my cast comes off. Thanks for your post :)
I had mine 6 weeks ago and I am so happy w my results ..... it seems to get better every visit ... it is so worth it the way i feel about my self and the way i look i had an ethnic nose it was wide and round , , i wish i would have done it a long time ago but was financially able to finally , i wll warn you the first day was not good for me the anesthesia made me sick because i swallowed blood during the procedure but that was the worst part of it .. day 2 was good ,
i am so glad that your surgery has improved your self confidence. having you say that has helped me not feel so worried about what could go wrong, but to focus more on what most likely will go right. thank you for letting me know about the anesthesia. i have never been under anesthesia so i'm not sure how i will react yet. i'm glad that you're happy with your results and i can only hope that i will be as happy with mine :)