One Week Countdown to LBL - La Jolla, CA

Hello, I am scheduled for a LBL next Monday, Aug 5...

Hello,
I am scheduled for a LBL next Monday, Aug 5. I was going to do a medial thigh lift at the same time but have decided to split them up, and may not even do the thigh..I want to see how the LBL goes first. I'm wondering if anyone has any wisdom to share about speeding the recovery process? Foods, supplements, things that might aid healing/reduce swelling? Best positions for sleeping? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Update: today is day 11 post op. I have had three drains removed, one to go. To shower I hang a ribbon around my neck and pin the drain to it so I can be hands free. I pat dry and then lightly blow dry the incision after showering. All dressings have been removed. I've been off all pain med for about 5 days, and I can drive again. Still feel puffy and swollen, which I expect will continue for some time. Ironic, since there is less of me and I'm anxious to get into pre op jeans. Advice I have to offer: prepare for potentially very painful constipation by taking stool softener regularly right after surg. Drink tons of water. Rest a lot- let others help as much as possible. Don't be in a rush to get drains out even though they are a pain- ultimately it will make healing easier to get that fluid out. Get up and walk around a bit once an hour or so- this is good for circulation any your butt will be getting sore from constantly sitting! So far I'm glad I did this. One question : my butt looks kind of flat. Will it round out at all as things settle down?
How old are you? Usually with lower body lift the do a butt lift but even then you could get a flat butt. I'm 59 and my doc recommended a fat transfer to buttocks because he said and showed me that just pulling it all up would flatten butt. So that's what he did. Didn't transfer much though only 280 per side. He could have gotten more but he was super conservative forgot the fat knees. I told him if he needed more to get it there but he didn't. Take care of yourself.
Thanks for your comment. I'm 47. I am seeing my PS on Monday so will inquire.
It should round out more as it settles, that's what has happened with mine so far. It's not as flat but definitely flatter than what I had before. You may find that you have to buy new smaller clothes that fit that area better. When I asked my PS before surgery about getting a flat butt, he said if someone has a flat butt pre surgery then they will still have it post surgery. But if one does have a butt pre surgery then one should end up with a butt post surgery (just a lot less). Glad you're doing well!!
So glad to hear you are doing well!! Hang in there...everyday will be better than the day before! Thanks for the update! Hope to see some pics soon! :)
Thanks so much everyone! I'm at day 4 post op. I have four drains in, and still cannot stand/walk upright, but the difference between today and days 1-2 is huge. Today I will see doc again (saw him morning of day 1 also) and hopefully get at least one or two drains removed. My experience so far has been as follows: Procedure itself took 3.5 hours, and according to doc and all nurses it went very well. (Note: Just to give my background--I am 47 years old, 5'5" and weigh 137. I lost 100 lbs 25 years ago, have kept it and have been in very good shape for the past several years..I do a lot of vigorous working out and have really good muscle tone, but sadly it just didn't show that much due to loose skin--which is why I finally decided to do this) Immediate post op was rough: I was weak and nauseated for several hours, spent almost 5 hours in the recovery room before being able to leave. I went home with a private nurse who spent the night and drove me back to my check the next morn, and she was great. Days 1 and 2 post op were mostly spent dozing, taking pain meds, along with anti nauseal. Eating little bits of chicken, crackers, protein shakes. By day 3 I had more of an appetite but find I can't eat much at a time because I feel full so quickly. Today is day 4 and I really feel I have turned a corner--feel stronger, not nauseated, less fluid draining. Washed my hair in the sink and washed off with a cloth, changed my clothes, all on my own (thank god for big maxi dresses!) So far, so good. Thanks to everyone for advice and support!
So glad you are doing better.
Hi! I have lots of good suggestions on my LBL review...Check it out under my profile :) good luck on Monday!!
I an lbl. 3 months ago. No medial thigh lift it was offered to me and I said no. I wish I had said Yes! DO IT IF YOU HAVE THE HELP.

Hi there, welcome and thanks for sharing your journey with us!

Good luck with your surgery, it will be here before you know it! I think MML, below, has some great ideas for you for recovery and healing!

Please do keep us updated with your progress.

Hello! I did all the right things 120-150 gams of protein a day, supplements and vitamins ie zinc Arnica Montana, vitamin C etc took very good care of myself but I think age has. Great deal to do with recovery. I am at 6 months and I am still swollen around incisions which is uncomfortable at times so just do the best you can. Good luck