Juvederm Made Me Sick.

Immediately after getting Juvederm injection to my...

Immediately after getting Juvederm injection to my nasolabial folds, I started feeling like I was getting a cold. After I came home and took a nap, I woke up with a very sore throat, fever, and tingling in my chest. It felt very much like a flu. The symptoms later went on to painful eyes, sinuses, and extreme fatigue.

5 months later I still suffer from extremely inflamed sinuses, even though no infection is or has every been present. When I massage my nasolabial folds to dissipate the Juvederm, I always get a mild fever, sore throat, burning eyes, and the flu-like symptoms all over again. I did blood tests and it shows positive antinuclear antibodies.

I can't wait for it to be out of my system, as after all the medical tests and the painful nuances, this has been a very expensive procedure. Ironically, the injection looked very good.

Most doctors that I've talked to refuse to believe that my symptoms were from the procedure, although I've found several data on the Internet that hyaluronic acid sometimes causes an autoimmune responses.

I FOUND A CURE, read my comments below
I have tried different diets and finally decided to give up and let the jeuvederm run its course. I came across an old friend that is an practices auervedic medicine. She told me that I needed to go into the ocean, take mineral baths and rest. And to make sure that I was in bed by 9:30 at the least so that my liver can rejuvenate. Also I bought a product called HU mineral. It is a raw mineral suppliment that comes from natural water. I got the spray and the liquid and pills. On my way home I noticed that the water filled sacs that were between my eyes were getting smaller, so I continued to use the product. A few days later the tiny goose skin like pimples under my neck had diminished and my skin was silky smooth again. The lumps on my forehead are still there but have not gotten as big as they were before the prednisone. I went to the health food store again to buy some more but they have sold out. I bought some mineral soap from the dead sea, and some lotion and continue to use the rest of the HU product and the new stuff I got. The HU says it boasts the immune system. This is the first time since I got the injections of jeuvederm on December 2011, that my face is almost back to normal again. After all the suffering I have endured, the fear that I may never look the same again is going away and for the first time I feel happy. I will continue to post progress. The inflamation is finally going down. I have tried, drugs, raw food diet, herbs, etc... 28 doctors later. they all want to bring in two more doctors to see me every time I go to Kaiser. Those doctors don't know anything, it has been a merry go round for the last 2 years. I stopped going to the men in the white coats and am taking my health into my own hands.

I had my first botox and restylane a year ago with no side effects.I had my 2nd botox and my second restylane in Feb. of this year. 2 hours after the injections I was very tired and fell asleep with my face hanging down alongside the edge of my pillow. When I awoke my entire face below my nose had nearly tripled in size.No breathing problems. No pain nor scarring. That Dr. put me on prednisone to decrease the swelling. It went down in 3 days but often if I sleep with my face hanging down my lips swell and stay puffed and tight for about an hour. I had the injections because I developed Bells Palsy after having a emergency procedure to fill a brain aneurysm and the procedure caused the right side of my face to droop terribly.I will not do it again. I hope it dissolves soon.

I had Juvederm injected in the nasal folds, lips and under the eyes december 2011, there was a extravagant dinner at the beverly hills hotel and free coupons for doctors promoting the product by ALLERGAN so I went to three doctors. The last one that injected me under the eyes had a bad effect. Red on one side and bluing which the doctor called tinsel effect which he said would go away. I looked like a chipmunk when I smiled. 8 months later I got a lump on my forehead which he said he took no responsibility for. Then when under the eyes swelled up he injected me with hyleronadaise then cortisone which took it away. 8 months later it came back. I have been to 22 doctors and 2 herb doctors. I have Hashimoto's immune disorder from before which was diagnosed years ago. I don't know why there is no warning labels on this stuff, there should be and I would think the company is open to law suits just for that. The lymph glands are in the area where he injected me and I was told by an ER doctor, that the white soldier cells that were found in the needle nose biopsy means that even though it is a water soluble product, it is a foreign substance, so the body attacks it with the white soldier cells engulfing bits of it, as the cells move throughout the body causing inflammation, for a lifetime. Unable to digest it or get rid of it. So I was put on doxycycline. No results. Prednisone helped but now my immune system is further destroyed and the side effects of the prednisone are the symptoms I am having! I also had an episode a couple of weeks ago where I had flu like symptoms on each side on my spine and arms and could not move my head, uncontrollable shaking, shivering and could barely get the key in my ignition. I went home and my herb doc told me to drink hot water with cayenne pepper which warmed me up but still could not move my head. The next day I felt better but still sore. I have a doctor that told me this> There is a medication called Accolatae,that helps for granulomas,it was initially released as a medication for asma,but it helps with inflamatory reaction in the granulomas with little side effects. DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS PRODUCT? Also I have another girlfriend that went to a doctor that gave her very expensive antibiotics that said that she was cured. Also there is a doctor at UCLA i heard he does skin patch testing to see if the body reacts to juvederm or botox for allergic reaction. I have been trying to locate this doctor since the teller at my bank told me about him and she is having a hard time getting me his number.
there are several warnings about these products and most places make you sign a waiver before even using it. If you didn't have to sign a waiver then that would be something to throw at them for legal reasons.
Please see article re: reactions to dermal fillers (chemically modified versus non-chemical). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2686337/
Dal Sacco and colleagues (2005) described a patient who developed multiple tender nodules in the nasolabial fold 4 months after injection of Restylane. Biopsy revealed the presence of sarcoid-like granulomas. Interestingly, the patient also developed similar-appearing dermal lesions at previous sites of venipuncture and scarring. On further diagnostic workup, the patient was diagnosed with sarcoidosis. Based on the extent of her clinical disease and the presentation of dermal lesions in multiple sites of previous skin trauma, it was concluded that the hyaluronic acid injections triggered a sarcoidal skin reaction in a background of a pre-existing but subclinical case of sarcoidosis (“scar sarcoidosis”). This is an AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE.
I found a cure, I have Hashimoto syndrome, you are right it is an autoimmune disease! I had jeuvederm injections and 1 year later got granulomas in the areas that were injected, they mutated. I went to 27 doctors, no one could help me. I was disfigured for almost 2 years. I am a beautiful woman and this was devastating for me. It has been a 2 year battle for me. I found my cure, I have been taking selenium 250 mg and minerals. My face is almost back to normal. I have Hashimoto syndrome. And my bodies immune system was compromised from prednisone the doctors gave me to rid the granulomas. But it did not work. I went to a doctor that suggested Selenium I took it and literally I got results overnight. I have been on it for two months. I stopped taking it for 5 days and the symptoms started to come back. I just wanted to share this with everyone. Please let me know any positive feedback! I hope this helps, it sure helped me! It helps w strengthening the immune system.Here is a cut and paste I got off Wikipedia: 2 GSH + H2O2----GSH-Px → GSSG + 2 H2O Selenium also plays a role in the functioning of the thyroid gland and in every cell that uses thyroid hormone, by participating as a cofactor for the three of the four known types of thyroid hormone deiodinases, which activate and then deactivate various thyroid hormones and their metabolites: the iodothyronine deiodinases are the subfamily of deiodinase enzymes that use selenium as the otherwise rare amino acid selenocysteine. (Only the deiodinase iodotyrosine deiodinase, which works on the last break-down products of thyroid hormone, does not use selenium).[67] Selenium may inhibit Hashimoto's disease, in which the body's own thyroid cells are attacked as alien. A reduction of 21% on TPO antibodies was reported with the dietary intake of 0.2 mg of selenium.[68] Increased dietary selenium intakes reduce the effects of mercury toxicity[69] and it is now recognized that the molecular mechanism of mercury toxicity involves irreversible inhibition of selenoenzymes that are required to prevent and reverse oxidative damage in brain and endocrine tissues.[70][71] I suggest taking a multi mineral supplement, one that has natural properties, find one that is high quality I am taking some that is called HU. But any kind that has no titanium dioxide or magnesium sulfate in it, You can find these listed ingredients in the bottom of the bottle in tiny writing called "other ingredients" This is what they use for holding the pills together and it makes your urine glow. It also keeps your body from absorbing the nutrients. Get capsules not pills, they use those ingredients to hold the pill together and these ingredients keep your body from absorbing the minerals. Links are not allowed on the site so just google wikipedia selenium and read everything. Especially the part about how solenium strengthens the immune system. Make sure you get a balanced mineral suppliment and don't take too much selenium, not over 400 or you might get diabetes. The key is Balance. Brazil nuts and scallops are a natural source of selenium, look up foods high in selenium. Please let me know if this helps! Spread the word ladies! we need to help each other and benefit from our research.
I wrote already about my issue, but it does not appear to have posted. I had both botox and juv put in in Nov of 2012. i decided to get more juv put in on one side and in my lip area mid dec 2012. About 2 days later I awoke a low humming in my ears as well as dizziness, fullness in my right ear, sinus presure beyond belief, jaw pain, head pressure and many many more issues. It is now 4 months later and i still have all these issues. I cant help but wonder if it is related to this. My question to you all is, do you think I should get it dissolved with that stuff (cant remember the name) to see if my issues go away. I wonder if it has sort of clogged up my sinus area a bit and caused issues. she did that one side really close to the maxillary area. I go in to talk to the doctor tuesday to discuss. I know he will say it is not related. I have been to countless doctors for answers. I have done cts scans, mris, blances tests. so much stuff. no answers. It could be totally unrelated but i cant help but wonder.
Also, do you think if it is related that it will ever go away? Or am I stuck like this?
I just learned in addition to flu symptoms i have enlarged lymph nodes in my lung and most symptoms of sarcoidosis. I am now on a prescription for prednisone which is what sarcoidosis is treated with. I will know in a couple days if i feel better.
I am having a really hard time ever since I had juv put in the second time. I am not sure if it is related, but do you think if i get the serum that eats away the juv (forget the name of it) that these things willgo away. I have some major ear issues, dizziness, and low humming in my ear on the same side i had most of the injectable put in. it is four months out and i still have issues. do you think it is worth a shot, or would it make it worse?
Hi Dizzygirl, It is most likely related to Juvederm. All allergy type reactions usually occur when an allergen is introduced to your body for the second time. I had my injection over 4 years ago now and I still have recurring symptoms here and there, and will probably have them for the rest of my life. I would be cautious when injecting anything else into your body, make sure to do your research about that thing that eats away the juvederm. Recently I had a blood test done and I apparently have very high levels of antistreptolysin, even though I don't remember ever having a strep throat. MBAgirl just informed me that hyaluronic acid is cultured from strep bacteria. High levels of antistreptolysin in your body can be harmful to your heart, kidneys, etc. I wonder if my recurring weird symptoms are due to this antistreptolysin. I would be curious to know if anybody else who did restylane or juvederm ever had a blood reading of high antistreptolysin.
P.S. Recently another person contacted me with the same exact symptoms that she was having from Juvederm as you are, ear issues, dizziness, etc. She is feeling awful and I wish I could remember her screen name so you could email her and discuss your symptoms.
really? someone else is going through the same thing? that is crazy. i so wish i could get in contact with her. I think you are right about not injecting that stuff into eat away the juv. it could be even worse and i dont need any other issues. i am so pissed i had the second injection, but I am sure i would have done it again even in a year had i not done that one. i just wish i would have never done it now. do you feel like your symptoms got a little better through the years? mine are not getting better.
Also, thank you so much for getting back to me. I am going to ask my doctor I see next friday about all this. I think i already did and he said it would hae no relation but i just find it too coincidental and i have tried to really think it was not related but i just looked back at the time line and its too coincidental and now that you say the second injection makes the allergy, it just makes sense. I have had a bunch of normal routine blood tests that have come back normal. If there was an auto immune response would the blood counts come out strange? mine were all normal. or do i need to hae a specific auto immune blood test done to find out?
Hi Dizzy, your doctors would have to test for specific auto immune diseases I believe, they usually don't show up in regular routine blood tests. But maybe what we are having is not an autoimmune disease but an autoimmune reaction. The doctors who say that it could not be related probably did not study about these things in school and just go by what the product companies claim. The girl who is experiencing your symptoms, her screen name is Samantha123, you can find her and email her through realself. I hope that you feel better soon.
oh thank you so much! you are so helpful.
I have been sick for over a month with flu symptoms after the injections - now on pain meds for sever body aches, was on prednisone for two weeks, steroid inhaler, now have lung probs with enlarged lymph nodes in lungs and nodules in right lobe. I feel somewhat better except the fatigue and body aches are persisting. I am thinking, and doctors too, that I have Sarcoidosis which is autoimmune - I believe the Restylane triggered it :-( The disease can be chronic and flare...It has not been fun. I won't ever get any fillers again :-( I just did another CAT scan of the lungs yesterday. If it were me, I would not get the serum. I would just flush it out - drink lots of water. It can take longer than a year to be out of the body. The chemicals in it are probably the cause and the bacterial proteins - I don't like the idea of Epoxy in my face :-( I would see an Ear Nose Throat doctor ASAP just to be assessed - I would not ignore the symptoms that you are having. Definitely see a specialist.
I forgot to mention the nausea that started at the monent I was injected and the loss of appetite along with all the other flu symptoms which is resulting in pretty significant weight loss - my smallest jeans are too big :-( This is horrible. Yes, you all should suspect autoimmune, also look up Sarcoidosis for example. I think there are more ingredients in these fillers than we are told :-( When my doctor put me on Prednisone I felt so much better for those two weeks i was on it - some of you could ask your docs about prednisone since it pretty much shuts down the overactive immune system.
It depends on the autoimmune disease in question. Some will show certain abnormal labs, some can only be diagnosed via signs on a CAT scan or X-ray - I keep mentioning Sarcoid bcuz my docs suspect I have it, but as an example - blood tests are typically normal and altho I have the symptoms, I didn't know until the CAT scan showed enlarged lymph nodes and nodules in lungs. So no, you cannot rely on blood tests to determine autoimmune disease presence.
I am seeing a specilist and not onlyt hat traveling my butt all the way to Johns Hopkins to see a man who is like the best of the best. My issues are mainly with the head and ears. Pressure in head, humming in ear, ear fullness, dizziness constantly, sinus issues , jaw pain, headaches, pressure pressure pressure. I agree i am not getting that stuff to get rid of it. it may just make everything worse. i just need this juv to get out of my body asap. i am so sad i even touched the stuff. alli wanted was to look young again after having my 3rd child. just wanted to feel beautiful and now i am reduced to not being able to go to the grocery store without being dizzy. its really sad. and i am really pissed if this crap messed up my life forever.
In the link i posted in the article, I read that the fillers can actually be contaminated with the actual bacteria that the proteins came from. Also, studies were done on fillers without added chemical and with (crosslinked with epoxy for example) and no side effects to the non-chemical fillers were noted in the study. The article is full of very interesting information on different immune and autoimmune reactions that patients have experienced after injection of fillers. I posted the link above.
I've had the body aches and pain. I take cymbalta and lyrica to help me function....but I had the injections a year and a half ago. I'm afraid it won't go away. I drink lots of water. :(