Rhinoplasty - Job Well Done! - Ireland

I decided a good few years ago that I would like...

I decided a good few years ago that I would like to have this procedure done but I never had the nerve to actually do it. This year, the nerves pulled through. I always had an "issue" with the size of my nose and always wanted to have a smaller one and I also snored a lot and had difficulty breathing through one of my nostrils.

It was quite difficult to decide what surgeon to choose to do the op as there was very little information available. I sent a mail to the Medical Council of Ireland but they couldn't refer a surgeon to me. There was information about surgeons on the web but it all seemed very commercial to me. I went onto boards.ie but still couldn't decide.

Eventually, I decided to pick 3 reputable clinics in Ireland and researched the surgeons that performed there. The first one I went to was not specialised in Rhinoplasty but had carried out numerous procedures of that kind. My partner came with me for support. I came away with a feeling that this operation was such a simple one and I wanted it done there and then but my partner thought different. When I think back about the consultation, it was very blaise, pics of a nose were drawn on a piece of paper and the surgeon suggested to "take this out"..."pear this down"...easy peasy!! The surgeon said that after the op, that the nurse would take off my dressing in 2 weeks time...Surely he should be interested to see how it turned out!!

I made an appointment for my 2nd surgeon. He was a specialised ENT (ear, nose and throat) surgeon. He went through the seriousness of the op, how the nose may need to be broken during the op, the different ways of doing it (open or closed) and the procedure as a whole....I was starting to have second thoughts of the op altogether. This surgeon took photos of my nose and morphed them on the computer of how my nose should look after the full recovery (1 year). He was very honest with me, he encouraged me to still go to meet other surgeons so that I was sure that I wanted to go ahead with it and that I was confident of the surgeon who would perform it. This surgeon said he would be the one to take the dressing off, two weeks after the op and he would have numerous follow appointments with me until one year had passed. I came away knowing the full extent of the op and what it entails. The surgeon also informed me that I could get some of the procedure covered by health insurance which was brillant.

I went to the see the 3rd surgeon in a well know commercial until in Dublin but the consultation was all too rushed.

I decided to go with my 2nd surgeon...I had a gut instinct and I always go with it. I sent mails to him with a couple of questions I had, he suggested I come to see him again for a 2nd consultation. After this consultation, I was confident that I really wanted this done, I was happy knowing the full extent of the procedure, the swelling, some bruising and how I wouldn't be in pain but may have a sore throat. We booked the procedure for June, I had phone calls a couple of days before from the clinic preparing me for the op. The day of the op, I was put at ease by the nursing staff. I met the surgeon before the op and he reassured me all would be ok. I was brought into a little room so there was no scary operating room with big lights. Here in this room, I was put asleep.

When I woke up in my room, I had no pain whatsoever, my throat was a little sore and my mouth dry but I felt good. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The surgeon came to see me the next morning and said everything went great and he would see me in two weeks. I had slight bruising around my eyes which I could see through the dressing but I couldn't believe I had no pain at all.

After two weeks of hiding in the house, not seeing the outside world, I went to see the surgeon to have my dressing removed. I was very excited. After removing the dressing, he handed me the mirror and there was my lovely new nose. I was delighted with it...why hadn't I got it done before

My nose was peared down and a slight lump I had on the side of my nose was gone. The bulkiness at the end of my nose was gone and I had a beautiful feminine nose that suited my face. My nose did start to swell that evening, it went back to the size that I originally had but I was told about this. It would take 3 months for the swelling to go down fully and a full year before I saw the end results.

I have had 2 follow up consultations since the op and my 3rd is coming up in a couple of weeks. The swelling has reduced dramatically and I am delighted with the outcome so far. The surgeon takes photos every time I see him, it's great that I can see the before and after results.

I would say to anyone who ever had doubts about getting this procedure done, to go and do it. Although a serious op, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I would throughly recommend my surgeon, he was brillant, from his expertise, his patient care, his personal touch and after care. He was the deciding factor for me...and I'll never look back!!

Dublin Facial Plastic Surgeon

My surgeon spent a lot of time with me, he was realistic about the results I wanted. He was very professional at all times. He put me at ease before the operation. He booked me in for operation at a time that suited me. I can't recommend him enough!

I went to c the above surgeon today he is a fantastic surgeon an would highly recommend him , he told me today to come back in 3 months as he wasn't 100 percent sure about doing it for me , I felt he spent a lot of time with me over an hour going through all the details with me an didn't rush me an was very very kind and definitely knows his stuff , I would definitely give him 5 stars
Hi Dublin24,

Congrats on your new nose & positive outcome, brilliant to hear! I've been researching rhinoplasty in Ireland over the last two years & have found it particularly difficult to get information on surgeons. I had a consult with Michael Earley in the Mater last week, which went ok but I would have liked more info on what he was going to do etc. I'm going to make another appointment with him & hopefully get some more information.

By any chance are you the poster called Fiomur on 'look your best' website? I'm trying to discern how many happy results there are with the different rhinoplasty surgeons in Ireland to help me choose a good surgeon.

I have a deviated septum so I'm looking at septoplasty, bump removal & tip reduction. Did you have anything like this done?

Your original post was very helpful, thanks for sharing. Just one final question, was your nose very swollen afterwards? I understand swelling can take a while to disappear after rhinoplasty, I'm just hoping it wouldn't change the appearance of my nose from the front profile.
Hi, I'm not Fiomur. I had a bump removed, had my nose peared down and had a lot of tip plasty done. When the surgeon takese the dressing off, you will see the fantastic result but you nose does start to swell in a couple of hours but nobody will notice it, only you. It swells and looks like it was before the op. You will have the dressing on for 2 weeks. It is over 3 mths now since my op and the swelling has dramatically reduced. I would seriously recommend you contact the surgeon I used, he is just fantastic and will talk through everything with you. Even after my meetings with him, I was still able to text or e-mail him about any questions I had. What I really liked about him was that he came to see me after the op and the next day, he also took the dressing off and took more photos. I see him now about every two months and he takes photos so that after one year, he can compare the before and after.
Hi Dublin24,

That's great. Will you be posting any photos?

FY.

hi can u give me the name at {email address removed by RealSelf to protect you from Spambots. Please communicate private information using the PM system} thank you very much

It sounds like this went really well for you. Good for you for going with your gut instinct! I don't remember much if any pain after my rhinoplasty either, and I also went with an ENT/plastic surgeon.

I'm glad you're so thrilled with your results. Will you be posting before and after photos?