Lower Body Lift (Belt Lipectomy) at Age 55 After Losing 115 Pounds Through Lifestyle Changes - Iowa City, IA

I had a lower body lift or belt lipectomy on...

I had a lower body lift or belt lipectomy on November 29, 2012. I am also a nurse of many years and a certified wellness coach. I am very pleased with the results and the recovery, so far, has been easier than I thought it would be. I spent two nights in the hospital and had an epidural for pain management the first 36 hours. So the cost includes all of that. My surgeon also had another surgeon assist to make the surgery easier and to decrease the anesthesia time - both great ideas! I have 4 videos up about this on YouTube.

Thanks for the videos, they were great!!! I am having a LBL and thigh lift next week!!!
Hi Lisa! I am thrilled to say I now have my date for my belt lipectomy! May 2, 2014! Sooo excited. Once healed up from that I'll be then having an inner thigh lift and breast augmentation and mastopexy. Been a long journey! And these last 3 surgeries are my responsibility financially. Oh well. I'm worthy of it!
Wow you have done fabulous! I typed up my whole story about my wright loss only to have it disappear. So only doing a small quick post! But thank you for sharing! My question is ... does a full belt lipectomy help your inner thigh at all? Or is that another surgery (inner thigh lift)? Thank you! Sharon P.S. if this works in posting I will share more.
Sharon, it helps the inner thigh a little bit. But for bigger results, it is probably and additional surgery. I don't think I am going to have it. I am fine wearing spandex that hold those babies still when needed:-).
Hi Lisa! I replied above but not sure what happened. I am just waiting for my lower body lift! Friday, May 2nd! Can't wait. I've been watching your videos over and over! So much to learn from you. I thank you very much!!
Hi Lisa, Thank you SO much for sharing your story. You are quite an inspiration! Kudos to you on all the hard work that is weight loss/life style change. Your tips have been very helpful for me as I am scheduled for my lower body lift on 1/16! There are a lot of emotions that are felt in the weeks before this surgery--and I'm not even there yet. I too am a nurse and have lost 120lbs ago. (I actually used to work at UIHC before moving up to Rochester.) Once again, your advice has been most helpful and I will continue to check back to your page for updates. Thanks again!
I wish you all the best! Do stay in touch. I"ll be putting up a post-5 weeks video soon!
Hi Lisa, thank you so much for your videos. I really wish I'd seen them before my procedure (same as yours but also a leg lift. Two weeks prior (11/29/12) I had my arms and breasts done). I will be 3 weeks post op on 1/3/13. So much of what you say I relate to even when you said how you didn't know how your skin fit into your size 8 jeans. I often wondered that for myself. For that reason I think people would really be shocked to know I've had this surgery because on the outside (clothes on) I looked pretty small. Naked I looked quite different. Anyway, thank you. I, too, have a high tolerance for pain and have moved around and walked often since the day after surgery. As much as I could, anyway but I made it a point to do so. I have to remember that just because I am able to do something doesn't mean I don't have to rest. Thank you for reminding me of that! I am going to look at your website. Hope you continue to feel wonderful! Lori
Lori, thank you so much for your response. I am delighted you are doing so well. I am now 5 weeks post-op for the lower body lift. I did develop a seroma at week 1 that drained itself through a week spot in the incision line at my mid-back line. And then it drained again 6 days after that. But it seems to now be done and never any sign of infection. I just put a light coating of an anti-biotic cream over the site and kept it clean and covered with a gauze. Tomorrow morning I am doing a bit of a longer walk than I have been- moving up from 3 miles to 4, but will be in touch with my body to make sure it's happy. I can always do less. This is a giant surgery. It is a huge trauma to put my body through and I must have the utmost respect for that. Lori, I think you'll really enjoy the onceandforeverwellness web site and some of the videos on it. Let me know what you think. Thank you! Lisa
Stay tuned for a new video later this week where I'll discuss how to deal with a seroma that "leaks" through a weakness in the incision line and how to move forward with the things you truly absolutely must do during your recovery.
ok will do :-)
Great job and you look amazing. I think i need to look into what you had for myself, because my primary areas of concern are the areas that the Belt Lipectomy addresses; but not so much the buttocks, i don't care about that area, and what scares me is that i won't be able to sit, sleep, or function post op (due to recovery restrictions).
The first few days post-op were definitely easier in a recliner. But by the end of the first week I was sleeping in a bed. Your activity has to be limited for a while because this is a huge surgery. It's really important to respect that. I had my husband stay with me the first 5 days, then a friend for the next 5, and then another friend for 3 more. I only needed lots of help the first 4 days. I was taking showers on my own, etc. But taking care of daily tasks such as laundry, cooking, etc were not in my best interest. Now at 2 weeks out I am able to do those things just fine.
Yeah i remember from my tummy tuck how restricted i was so i will def. respect that it was major surgery whenever i have my body lift. Glad you did well (recovery) and had a good support team.
Wow, congratulations on your weight loss! 115lb is incredible. Your videos are so helpful and your weight loss is such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing.
You're most welcome.

Hi Lisa, welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Wow, your videos are amazing, very imformative and you look awesome! I know you mentioned you lost over 100lbs, was this through diet and exercise, or did you have some kind of bariatric surgery to help?

Hi Kirsty, I have lost over 115 pounds through diet and exercise. I began with Weight Watchers and lost the first 35. Then I chose to stop losing weight to make sure I could maintain that weight. I figured weighing 225 was better than 260. And my past issue had always been keeping the weight off. Over the next 3 years I lost 15-30 pounds, maintained that weight loss for a while, and then decided to keep going. Around 190 I started a running/walking program. I ran my first 10K then. And this past year I ran 4 half marathons. I have my first marathon scheduled for September 2013.

Oh wow, you're like Superwoman! That's awesome and very inspiring!

I've done diet programs like WW before and you're right, keeping it off once the program ends is quite possibly the hardest part. When we're left to our own devices, and move away from a support network, we tend to go back to our old habits. It's really difficult to turn a diet into a complete lifestyle change, but you've obviously worked hard to do that and very succesfully!

Please do keep us updated with your progress.