Revision for CC 1.5 weeks post-op (Mar. 27,2014)- Capsulectomy, Strattice, and New Implant - Houston, TX

Hello Ladies! I was diagnosed with CC (capsular...

Hello Ladies!
I was diagnosed with CC (capsular contracture) on my left side at 4 months post op and I am now 1 year and 2 months post op. I plan on getting revision by the end of the year which includes a capsulectomy (removing the capsule), implanting strattice, and replacing implant with a new one. I am dying to find others who had had this type of procedure done with the strattice as I would love to hear how their experience has gone and if the strattice has been successful in preventing CC from recurring. If you can share your experience with me I would really appreciate it, or even if you have another technique or treatment that was used, I would love to hear that as well. Thanks in advance!

trying to decide when....

I forgot I had this review too. =) I am looking at doing my revision over Christmas of this year or next. I am leaning towards now as my doc prices are about to go up so my orig. Quote won't be any good after the new year. I will likely have my decision made this Monday or so.

Surgery is scheduled!

The time has finally come! I have finally scheduled my CC surgery for March 27th. I will get a pic posted over the next week or so before surgery. I am at 1 year 10 months with CC on my left side. Surgery will include removal of capsule, antibiotic wash, new implant, strattice implantation, with drains for 1 week. My understanding is that surgery will be 2 hours for 1 breast due to capsule removal. Initial implantation of both sides took 1 hour. Dr. Vitenas and office manager Cherie have been awesome in working with me trying to coordinate this. I couldn't be more grateful for their efforts and patience. =)

Tomorrow morning is Round 2!

Well looks like the time has finally come! I have to be to the hospital by 5:15 am, surgery at 7am, 2 hours of surgery, 2 hours of recovery. I should be home by noon if I am lucky. What a long morning! And I am supposed to have a compression bra and drainage tubes on my left side. I'll post pics when I feel better. See ya then!

Day 1 post-op

This surgery is more painful than my initial surgery. My initial surgery was 1 hour for both boobs, this time 1.5-2 hours for just the left boob. So this time I am wrapped in bandages and have a drain hanging out. Initial surgery did not have either & I wasn't allowed to wear a bra 6 weeks. This time though, the bandages are to keep everything still. I guess so the strattice doesn't get moved around in there. I've tried sleeping tilted up, but now my back is pretty sore. I'm Going to ask the hubbs for a bit of a back rub. =) Yesterday (day of surgery) was not very good. I threw up a few times. Could only eat toast, but had lost that too. I guess me and general anesthesia don't get along. I am surprised I can lift my arm up, but I'll keep it down if I don't forget. This morning I'm able to walk by myself without danger of falling over, so things are good! And I get to have some coffee, yay! Have any of you been put on a low sodium diet?

Adding photos and Summary of the last 1.5 weeks

Funny how the first week wasn't really too bad. By the end of it I have to say the drain hole was really starting to hurt me! I had unwrapped and rewrapped that bandage so many times as it was also hurting me in various places. I guess just being able to remove it and rewrap it each time was just enough to remove whatever was making me uncomfortable. Thursday the 3rd was 1 week post-surgery and I was able to get the drain removed. I thought I was going to have a gaping hole in my side, but it turns out it is more of a "slit", so when they remove it, the skin just goes back together and I can take the bandage off that the next day. Removing the drain was a little painful, but it was very quick and I didn't see a thing. I am sure it was disgusting coming out (Bleck!), I am just glad I didn't see a it I can pretend like it wasn't. Lol. It probably wasn't worth the 2 pain pills I took as I was anticipating some serious pain. I thought the doc was also going to manipulate my breast but he did not and I still felt him removing the drain so I don't know how much good that did me. I was instructed to maintain the low sodium diet and to wear a sports bra for continued compression.
I gottta say I was in more pain 2 days after this appointment then I was the whole time. Part of it might be because I quit taking pain pills, another part is because I had more salt than I probably should've, and I was moving around too much and not compressed anymore. I was wishing I would've keep that bandage they took off me at the appointment cuz you can't just buy one that big at Walmart and I was hurting so bad I had 3 sports bras on and they weren't really helping. Last night I noticed the left was a bit swollen so I started icing with the Therapearl bags on the top and center, trying to avoid the area where the Strattice was "sewed' in. Today things are much better, but I haven't over extended myself again so who knows if I am any better? Last night cutting veggies for a salad using my right hand was killing my left boob and my left hand was just holding the vegetables being cut. It's amazing how everything in our bodies are connected and are impacted when one area in injured. So now I am waiting to heal and to see if I get CC again or if I will stay "normal".

I'll let you know if I see any more changes and when I get my stitches out or the little bandages off. Doc said this scar is much larger so he could sew the strattice in. Actually, come to think of it, the last surgery, he didn't remove stitches so I am not sure if he will or not this time. I'll keep you posted. Oh by the way...I have not had one little bruise this whole time. Not even my initial surgery. Vitenas is amazing, I don't know how he does it!
Dr. Vitenas

Congrats !! I'm so happy for you
Thank you Sissy! How are YOU doing??
How are you doing ? I'm doing good .
I had CC also. Orig implant 1979, CC revision 1990, CC revision 2/20/14. I didn't get strattice. They told me it was very expensive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed these will last as long as the last ones. Both my CC developed slowly over years. They weren't painful yet. I got it done because my current insurance would pay to have them removed and I paid to put them back. I was afraid to wait because our healthcare system is so unpredictable. I had CC in varying degrees ever since I got implants. The new ones feel soft which is unusual to me. I'm sorry you got it so bad after only 4 months. Was this your first BA?
Hi kiwi, yes this was my first BA! I guess I was an unlucky one. Fortunately its not paid til and I am able to hide it. I think because I have body fat. Lol are you getting used to your softness yet?
No, I keep changing. They are starting to firm up and one side is firmer than the other. I didn't massage them too hard because my implants are so close together and they are sub-glandular. I was afraid I might get symmastia. I will increase the massage pressure. When I lift them up, they feel heavy. I have gotten use to wearing a bra the last few weeks and when I take it off they feel heavy. It didn't matter with CC. I think I look smaller. It's hard to believe the capsule made that much difference. I think I look more natural. I got CC on both sides both times. I'm 63, so I am hoping I will be able to keep them 23 years like the last pair. I massaged them everyday and I could have kept them even longer. A few Dr.s say massage doesn't matter but I know it does. I think it is a good sign that you only got it on one side. Maybe it is more related to something else than your body rejecting implants in general. The Dr. should be able to give you good result. I hope the strattice helps prevent it from forming again.
I just noticed my typo, I was trying to say. "Not painful." Sorry, typing on my phone is a pain. =\ I think I know what you mean about the CC boob seeming bigger. I've noticed the bubble on top is bigger so it seems like the implant Is bigger, but it just got pulled up and the actual boob is hollow on the bottom. Was yours painful?
My first set hurt and looked like baseballs after 11 years. But, I was working out and I was very lean. I have very little natural breast tissue. Anything you see is either implant or scar tissue. I didn't let these get to the painful stage like the first set. I massaged everyday but when they hurt I massaged them very hard and it would stop. I had them for 23 years and I could have kept them longer. They were removed intact. No silicone got into my pockets like last time. They were able to remove all the scar tissue. It could be 3 months or 20 years before they get very hard again. It's day 31 post-op and things are getting firmer. I guess I am just healing and I will massage harder now. The harder they get the harder I will massage. I think wearing a bra all the time last few days restricted their movement too much. I have lots of pictures posted and I will keep updating them.
Goof luck with your decision..im going Dec for revision too
Oh one more thing, So is your surgery for Both sides? Are you having a redo on the good side too?
My original surgery is only for my left side. But I am thinking if the strattice for both sides isn't much more, then get them both done for the just-in-case. I saw a story a gal got it after 7 years post-op!! I'm sure prices will go up by then....
Scrappy, this a little confusing. You have several reviews. :-) You must be excited to get the revision soon. Wow you have been through it girl! Thank you so much for your support through this experience. ans heck no I cant do push up well or any chest exercises so I avoid that. I have always been afraid to irritate them too for fear of developing cc. ( I know it is silly) Bacteria makes sense though. Our bodies would definitely attack! I will be celebrating my 50th this year! Whoo Hoo! You are in my thoughts and prayers!
Haha, ya sorry! I have 2 parts to my implant review since it has a word limit and I broke it. =) And then I was considering an explant. And now I am going to try revision. If this revision doesnt work I may eventually explant. You are celebrating your 50th what? No way that you are 50 years old!! You have the body of a 20-25 year old!! Honestly,  I am more nervous than excited about spending this money and then what if it doesnt work? Maybe I am just doomed to be natural? And my natural after explant probably wont be pretty.  I am pretty stressed about it. Also, I will have to figure out how to not tell anyone at work. I was thinking I'd have to tell them I had rotary cuff surgery or something. Sigh! And goodness girl! I just cant believe your 50....my mind is BLOWN! Lol!
You are so sweet. My boobs looked 50 before I was. ;-) In a word(s): BREAST FEEDING! No one knows I did this and really I just feel it is personal. No need to share with coworkers, and I think the rotary cuff is a great idea for a work excuse. It is expensive to do what you are doing but, honestly I would do the same thing. If karma has anything to do with it, you will beat this thing and have great boobs! I just get a good feeling about you, and you have helped so many. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Much gratitude Bella Chica!
Awww! YOU are so sweet! Thank YOU! And I'd kill to have your body at the age I am right now... Lol.
Nicole, Yes, sounds like CC. If this doc doesnt recommend it, I suggest find another doc! If you havent tried a regular capsulectomy, you could consider that as it is much cheaper. Only 1 in 3 will get CC again after that. For me, those arent aren't as good as I'd like. I have chose to "go for the gold" so to speak b/c I am not willing to spend $3500 on a regular one b/c if I get CC again I will only be faced with where I am at right now. An addition $9k to keep em. So I'd rather just give myself the best possible chance and one  more surgery. If it doesnt work after that they are coming out. I am in the same boat as you though. I am almost 40 and prefer to keep them. I've waited many years to get them. Since you are about to be single soon (Which sorry to hear about that) I can certainly sympathize with wanting to look your best/normal during dating. I would feel the same way. Well looks like you will have to make a choice. What do you want to risk? How much did the doc quote you for a capsulectomy? If my doc would only charge me $1500 I would've tried a regular one, but $3-4K is too much to "throw away" if it doesn't work. Check out the questions I posted to the docs about the strattice. Answers are pretty consistent. Which way are you leaning?
I feel like I have heard so many different approaches to the same problem, I wish I could get some consistency! Either way I'm looking at a sum of money I would rather save for retirement than to cut myself back open. I'd like to just be done with this all the same and stop thinking about it. So torn...
Yeah, its a tough decision for sure. And so hard to know what is the best choice. I am behind in saving for retirement as well and so this sticks in my craw for sure.

Hey Scrappy, Violet1234 used strattice and swears by it. Since I'm not a PS, I can't offer any further advice but everyone that has used it in their revisions, has been more than happy with their results. Does the CC cause you any discomfort? Take care and keep us posted!

Thanks Beth! I havent heard anyone claim any problems so I am hoping it will be worth the money I shell out. Unfortunately, I wont know until i get it done to myself. =( No discomfort here, luckily. Thanks for checking on me. I recall Violet1234 I think, I will have to try to find her review. Is there any way to search by a users name?

Glad you're pain free...just an emotional pain in the rear I suppose. To search for Violet1234, you just put her name in the main search bar on the home page and her review should show up. I have linked her to make it quicker for you.

Thanks for the tip and the link!
Your left implant is too high. Either you have a primary CC or the pectoralis muscle is incompletely divided. Occasionally, one implant may appear high because the opposite implant is too low. (Each breast looks fine individually but they don't look good together. Strattice is most frequently used when the patient has insufficient soft tissue covering (not your scenario), or when there is a history of recurrent capsular contracture (also not described by your summary. Typical surgical correction for this presentation involves capsulectomy and implant exchange only. The CC may also represent a ruptured silicone gel implant (saline just goes flat) , incompletely divided pectoralis major muscle, or bleeding around the implant (either surgical or as a result of anti-platelet drugs such as fish oil, vitamin E containing pills, ibuprofen and/or aspirin).
Dr Leverett, I wanted to add a question. I just had BA 3 weeks ago and my boobs looked like that from day 1. Does that mean that the placement was incorrect? Mu doctor says that that just means that one side will drop faster than the other. That however makes little sense to me since there is about 1 inch difference in height of the position. Please advise. Thank you.
Thank you Dr. Leverett for taking the time to advise me! I definitely have CC, no doubts about that. It is possible that the implant ruptured, but unlikely I think as it started around 1 month, tightening in the 3rd month, and diagnosed at the 4th month. I was not hit in the chest and I was not very active. Bleeding around the implant is also possible, but I did not have a hematoma after surgery if that is the amount of bleeding  you mean. I suppose the only way to know is to open me back up. I'd hat to pay for strattice, but I'd also hate to pay for surgery a 3rd time....