21 more days of nose!

After years of thinking about rhinoplasty and...

After years of thinking about rhinoplasty and detesting my nose, I'm finally out of school and making a salary that has allowed me to save up for the procedure. I've read so many reviews on realself and elsewhere, and I've decided that I definitely want to go with Dr. Grigoryants. When I initially had my email consultation with him (I'm out of state), I was told that he wasn't scheduling surgeries for six months, and so I figured that I may not be able to have him as my doctor. I'm considering a job change and was hoping to schedule surgery in a month or so, before I would potentially be in a new job, maybe even all the way on the east coast, with different vacation policies. It would also be nice to not have to have the awkward "Hi, New Boss. I need two weeks off for a nose job" conversation. Anyway, fast forward to this morning, when Dr. G's office called me to offer me a surgery date in mid-September. I honestly do not know what to do. I can get the days off from work, I have most of the money (though it's basically my entire savings), and I've done a ton of research. I have to let them know first thing in the morning whether I will be taking the September surgery date. Was anybody this trigger-shy, or do you think I'm rushing it? Neither my gf nor my family is very supportive of me going through with the procedure, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Haven't gotten a surgery date, yet.

I'm going in for another consultation tomorrow morning. This time, it will be with Dr. Schlesinger in Honolulu. As of right now, I'm almost convinced that I really want to go with Dr. Grigoryants, but one more consultation won't hurt. Also, if I stay at home in Hawaii, I will be able to devote more energy to healing rather than flying back and forth to California. My gf would be able to be there to hold my hand, and the overall cost would be reduced because I won't have to travel. Then again, and oddly enough, doctors in Hawaii seem to be even more expensive than the more experienced ones in LA. Anyway, I'll update more after my consultation!

Worst consultation with Dr. Schlesinger in Honolulu

Long post alert!
So I went in for my third rhinoplasty consultation today, this time with Dr. Larry Schlesinger in Honolulu. I want to try to keep this review free from any personal judgments about him, though I will say that I think our personalities didn't mesh well.

Dr. Schlesinger asked me a little bit about myself and which procedure I was interested in. He didn't ask me what I wanted to change about my nose or what I liked about my nose. He went straight into the exam, and his first words were, "Well, the #1 reason why your nose is big is because your chin is too small." Obviously, he could have phrased this a little bit more nicely, but whatever, I appreciate honesty and even bluntness. Unfortunately, it was only downhill from here.

First off, I'd like to acknowledge that the last Hawaii Dr. I consulted with suggested a chin implant. He was slightly pushy with his suggestions, even after I told him I really wasn't interested, and I was definitely turned off by it. That guy was NOTHING compared to Dr. Schlesinger.

Dr. Schlesinger immediately grabbed his samples of chin implants and launched into what he dubbed "the educational portion" of the consultation. He ONLY spoke about the chin implant procedure, in spite of me repeatedly telling him that I was honestly only interested in rhinoplasty. I told him that I was a lawyer, not a model, and that I wasn't terribly concerned about having the perfect angles in my profile. He just kept going on and on about how deficient my chin was, and how even if I found the perfect nose doctor and got the perfect nose, I would still come back to his office and ask for a chin implant. He said that doing a rhinoplasty on me without a chin implant would be "inappropriate." I told him I didn't have a problem with my chin, and that my main concern was my nose. Then he grabbed a book from his shelf to show me pictures of what "a chin is SUPPOSED to look like." Thanks, Dr. Schlesinger, but I haven't been isolated from all other humans up until this very moment and consequently, I have actually seen what chins look like. At this point, I told him I was uncomfortable and asked to leave. To his credit, he took a rather awkward pause, said "yeah, of course" and shook my hand.

Here's my issue: Surgery always carries a certain degree of risk, especially when it involves implanting foreign objects into your body. Elective surgery, by its very nature, is medically unnecessary. I think that if a patient has repeatedly expressed that they are uninterested in a medically unnecessary surgery, then the doctor should back off. Yes, Dr. Schlesinger is a doctor and I am not. And yes, I greatly appreciate his honesty and candor. However, trying to convince a patient to change a part of herself that she had previously harbored NO insecurity about, after she has repeatedly told you that she is not interested, is at best rude and at worst, medically irresponsible.

PS: I'd like to clarify that I am not a mutant. I have a chin. It's small because I'm Scottish/Irish and my people don't have chins. And you know what? I'm totally cool with that.

PPS: I will say that rhinoplasty is only about 4% of Dr. Schlesinger's practice (he mostly does boobs and "mommy makeovers," a term I find appalling but whatever), and he WAS very good about naming California doctors that I could consult with who had more rhino experience. However, he had never even heard of Dr. Grigoryants.

PPPS: This experience solidified my decision to go with Dr. Grigoryants. Bedside manner is extremely important to me, and Dr. Schlesinger was condescending, arrogant, and rude. Dr. Grigoryants, on the other hand, found a way to be straight-forward about my nose's issues and even raised issues of symmetry that the other two doctors hadn't even noticed, and he was able to do so in a tactful way. To top it off, Dr. Grigoryants made it a point to tell me that I had a beautiful face, which obviously is just something he says, but it was really nice of him. He also didn't even mention my mutant chin. Dr. G. all the way!

Before/morph pictures! Would love feedback

Hey realselfers! Here are some before pictures and morphs. Doing front morphs is so hard with my nose because my tip just isn't refined at all. I don't want to go too small, and I thought these profile morphs still look pretty realistic/natural. Let me know if you have any suggestions :)

I GOT MY SURGERY DATE!!!! SEPTEMBER 25th!

So quick background: I have been previously offered TWO September surgery dates off of Dr. Grigoryants's waitlist. The first one, I just wasn't ready to commit financially and emotionally and the second time, they called me on a Saturday while I was still asleep (I'm in Hawaii) and by the time I got their voicemail, they had already given the date to somebody else. This time, I WAS READY. I saw the 818 number on my missed call log and called them back IMMEDIATELY.

My date is September 25th!!! It's both a highly convenient and a highly inconvenient time for me to do this, because I'm interviewing for new jobs right now. Hopefully the position I want, if offered to me, won't need me to start for at least two weeks after surgery! On the other hand, if I get a new job, I can quit my current one before surgery and show up to the new job and everyone meeting me won't have any idea that I had work done :) Best plan ever? Maybe.

I'm ecstatic. I'm seriously smiling so big right now. Even though I'm still incredibly nervous to do this, I'm really excited about actively bringing about positive change in my life. This may be a physical manifestation of my quarter-life crisis (I'm 26), but I want to do this so that I can have the confidence to truly go after what I want. I can't wait :)

More pictures

Here is another photo of me from the front smiling. My nose just has no shape!

Another 3Q picture

Is this worth it?

Okay, RealSelfers. I'm having one of those pre-op days where I'm like, "Is this really worth the time/money to change something about myself that nobody else seems to notice/care about?" I know that this is for me, but I'm starting to worry that I'm making a mistake. Does this really alter your life? Can anybody who has undergone the procedure tell me about their post-op experience? I don't want the perfect nose, I just want to simply get to the place where I don't think about my nose anymore. I showed my best friend one of my simulations and she said "If you had shown me the "after" picture, I would have said that was your nose already." So that made me feel like this might be worth it and that even though people would think I looked better, they wouldn't guess that it was my nose that changed. Now I'm just rambling... Anyway, I'd love to hear how other people's lives have been affected by surgery!

One more morph! haha

Here's possibly my favorite morph so far from the front. I just want my nose to be thinner and more photogenic.

A nelfie a day keeps the nerves at bay

So in honor of being exactly one month pre-op, I have decided to take a selfie every single day to document my nose's final days before transformation. I have dubbed these nose selfies "nelfies." Don't worry- I'm definitely not going to post them all to realself, haha. Anyway, I think I am actually going to miss her a little bit ("her" being my nose) and to honor her, she deserves as much attention as possible this final month before she enters her very expensive cocoon.

Exactly three weeks left!

So I have exactly three weeks to go. I got my bloodwork done today (I'm out of area and so I had it done locally, which didn't shave anything off Dr. G's price tag, in case you are wondering) and I'll fax over the results to Dr. Grigoryants when I get them in a few days. It's really happening! I'm slowly telling more and more people, although I think I'm going to stop soon. Most of my friends who know just get really awkward when I talk about it. I can tell they think I'm making a mistake. I honestly wish I had done this five years ago so that everyone in my life would already just know me with my new nose and I could choose to disclose that I've had surgery on my own terms, instead of everyone just inevitably figuring it out because I showed up one day with a different (hopefully superior) schnoz. Oh well- all the more reason to do it now and not wait another five years.

The only thing I'm struggling with now is just imagining what my new nose will look like on my face. Let's be real- I am not a photoshop wizard, and all of my front morphs on the plastic surgery lite app look fake. What if I get my new nose and then go, "Huh. I guess it's my cheeks that make me so funny-looking, and not my nose, after all"? I trust Dr. G. completely, probably too much. I'm basically just going to tell him to knock himself out and go nuts on my nose because I don't feel like I can have a very real perspective on what it should look like. Anyway, I'll update some more later about what things I'm doing to prepare for the surgery, including my plan to institute a moratorium on mirrors for two weeks post-operation.
Dr. Vladimir Grigoryants

Haha I love your posts….. You're making the right decision and you will not be disappointed. Dr. G is awesome ! You're going to love him and your results!!! I'm excited for you! Xo
Honestly, when you get a good nose job, most people won't even notice, not even people who see you regularly, unless you had an unusually large nose and you were "the girl with the huge nose". That's because most people see your face as a whole. Your nose is supposed to blend in, not attract attention, and that's the goal of a good rhinoplasty. It means you still look like you, but prettier. You don't even have to tell people, unless you want to of course. A nose job is very risky, and I lived with the results of a bad nose job for a year, but guess what? No one noticed! Not even my mom or best friends. I've been doing tons of research and while it's ALWAYS a gamble because no surgeon has a perfect record, Dr. G seems like a great a choice and worth the price tag!
Good luck! You're in the best hands:)
Thank you so so much!
Good luck with your procedure! Definitely go with your gut feelings!! I was also told that my chin was very small, but my PS never mentioned a chin implant. Like you, I just want a subtle rhinoplasty! I'm booked for the 17th so will be excited to see how our noses turn out like! I've heard very good reviews about Dr G. If I was in the US he'd certainly be the one I'd go with. All the best! :)
Yay! Nose twins!!! Let's keep in touch and recover together, haha. Best of luck and keep us posted, gorgeous!
Your last post made me laugh - I like the idea of a nose cocoon haha. Good luck for the surgery!
Haha thanks so much!! :)
You are so pretty! Go for it while you have the time/money/youth! I'm only 3 weeks post op but I already see changes and I wish I had this done years ago. Dr. G sounds great and his pictures show how great his work is. Thanks for sharing your story & keep us updated. There's so much helpful advice & support here on real self.
awww thank you so much!! I love this website so much. My gf teases me that all I do is "realself realself realself."
Technically, it's not a new nose and it's not going away either, it's just reshaping and fixing the structure of it. Unless you're Mr. Potato Head whose entire nose comes off. So there's no need for a going away party or anyone to get sad. ;)
Hi, I just want to say that you are beautiful to begin with but I understand your dilemma. When I first saved up enough for rhinoplasty, I went through a similar mind set. Is it worth it? I should love my self for who I am, i could used that money for better cause and blah blah blah. I convinced myself that I was being selfish and superficial. So, I ended up using that money on other things. After a while the idea of getting a nose job subsided. It was easy to stop obsessing about it because not having the money made it less tangible. But my hatred toward nose never left, so now 3yrs later I am on the verge of saving up enough again to get the surgery and Im as excited as before, but this time even moreso because I have this determination becase all the years past and I still wanted a nose job. No matter how many times my bf says im beautiful or how many times my mom says my nose is fine, its still something I desire. Not because I want to look like a model or I want to break into acting, but for me just me. So what Im saying is, ask yourself , if I have to wait however long it took me to save up the first time around again, would I still want it done?
Thanks so much! This is exactly what I've been thinking- if I know that I will still want it in four years, I might as well do it now. You heal better when you're younger, and then I'll have my whole life to enjoy my new nose. My poor girlfriend wants to throw my nose a "going away party" because she's so upset by its untimely demise, haha. My mom isn't on board, either, but it's not THEIR nose! Good lucking with your saving and feel free to ask me any questions you may have about my surgery :)
Yes its worth it. Nothing can take the place of feeling truly pretty. Without a hangup of " my nose" I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Thank you for your comment! All I keep thinking is, "I don't want to be critically analyzing how my nose looks in every photo for the rest of my life." I just want to not think about it :)
For me personally I would definitely have to say it is worth the money spent and the time spent recovering. The thing is, if your nose bothers you - its not something that can just be switched off so that you won't worry about it anymore. Trust me I tried! The people who love you will not notice something that you consider to be a flaw because they are not going to look at you critically - whereas it is up to ourselves to decide what we like and don't like about our features. Whether you have the operation should be up to you and how you feel rather than what others say. If this is something that bothers you every day and is going to bother you the rest of your life, I think life's too short. I had my cast off a week ago and it's a slow process waiting for the swelling to go down, some days I feel emotional and depressed because my face doesn't look normal from the swelling and I can't just go out and do normal stuff without people looking or asking questions - I've had several people ask if I was in a "fight" while giving my partner the accusatory side eye - most likely thinking he hits me or something. It takes time for life to go back to normal but I know in my heart that I have done the right thing and that this is going to bring me a lifetime of happiness.
Thank you!!! Yeah, I am super worried about the healing/swelling. I might just not look in the mirror for the first two weeks, haha! Your new nose looks fab ;)
I just go my done 1 week ago, besides a little stuffy, it wasn't as bad as I thought. Don't think about too much. I'm so glad I got it over with, as long as you take at least 1 week to recover you will be good. Good luck, you have some beautiful features, you will look so hot.
Thank you so so much! This is really helpful. And exactly what I was thinking- that I just want to get it over with. I seriously wish I had done this four years ago, and I don't want to go another four years and think, "well it's too late now!" And thank you for the compliments- you're too sweet :)
YOU LOOK GORGEOUS, btw ;)
just read this reply and uts exactly what i was saying, if you wanted 4yrs ago, and now, what makes you think you wont want it 4 more years from now. lol, i feel ya, im hoping to get it done by next year and this time no looking back.
Oh PS small chins are feminine and beautiful. I gave an overly strong chin and its caused me the opposite form of I security. I'm ok w it now but I'd never opt for an implant unless it was Necessary
Excuse typos* "smart" phone
First- you're hilarious! Next, you have beautiful hair. Also, Dr. G is right you do have a beautiful face; that man I an artist and he can see the sculpture before he builds it I can tell from all his work. And brings me to - your morphs- I say huh -uh.. Dr. G will do much better no offense. But he will probably give out more feminine slope and lifted tip and I suggest let him.. 99% perfect beauties come from him. Good luck to you!
Awwww thanks so much! And haha, yeah, my morphing skills are not so great. I kind of like a straight bridge, but we'll see what we says at my pre-op! Getting excited!! Your results are beautiful btw!