No More New Rhinoplasty Blues!!!- Florida

Ok so i was cursed with my father's indian...

Ok so i was cursed with my father's indian "hump" nose. All my life it has been a bit annoying to look at from a profile view and finally i decided to take that leap and get it fixed. I have had other things done in the past and had to learn the hard way that you get what you pay for so i specifically stayed away from inexpensive doctors. Instead i went to a top cosmetic surgeon who is certified in so many areas its impossible to name them.

He came highly recommended and after seeing his work i knew he was the one. He has performed several rhinoplastys per week for the last 15+ years thus has to have acquired a keen eye for it.In our consultation i explained to him that i love my nose, i just want the hump gone. However he began pointing out things wrong with it such as nostril size, and that it points down when i smile. I told him i didnt want someone else's nose, just my nose tweeked to look its best. He promised me my nose would look the same but better and that the difference would be very subtle.

I agreed to let hiim raise the tip a bit and remove the hump. That was one week ago. I will say that I was strangely under no pain what so ever suring the week following surgery. I looked a mess with the swollen eyes and bruises but physically i was fine. Yesterday i returned to the office to have my splint, stitiches and bandages removed and got the shock of my life. I looked like a pig, or the crypt keeper from tales from the crypt, or Michael Jackson. I was speechless. Doc tells me its because of the swelling and its going to take time to settle into a good look but for the life of me i cannot understand what swelling has to do with a nose looking like a snout with the tip raised so high that i am able to see down my nostrils.

I look absolutely nothing like i did before the rhinoplasty. This was my worst nightmare going into the surgery and now i am forced to live it. I dont want to leave my house. Im so depressed. Im posting pics so others can see how drastic the difference is. I am unable to move the top of my lip, It simply stays there hanging out looking unnatural. The few times that I do feel the need to laugh now i have this akward lower bottom lip smile thing going on that makes me look about 50 years old now. I am seriously in trouble. I feel helpless.

I have had a few ppl on this site give me advice that it will in fact come down and look better but that is in months from now. I was definitly not informed of this in my consult. I wish I had been told about this look because that wouldve dictated whether i allowed the doctor to lift my tip at all, seeing how i didnt see a problem with the tip anyway. Sigh, I cant take any of this back but I will say that I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this one. All of my friends tried to stop me from doing this telling me i would look like those people we see that look like they have had plastic surgery but i went with my own mind believing it wouldnt happen to me, and here we are! I dont know what to do.

Dont get me wrong, my surgeon is a great surgeon, I just dont think he understood what I expected to get out of this procedure and he kind of went with what he thinks beauty is not realizing that his idea is different than mine. I didnt mind my "ethnic nose" just wanted to get rid of the hump, now i have a weird Michael Jackson in the middle of my face staring back at me.. Ugggh Im so frustrated...Sigh

Im 3 weeks post op now and I can say that I do see...

Im 3 weeks post op now and I can say that I do see an improvement. My nose has dropped considerably, its still not quite where i want it to be but I do see how this is going to simply be a waiting game. Im beginning to recognize the person in the mirror a lot more. Pics posted!

Im at the 3 month mark and I am sooooo happy. I...

Im at the 3 month mark and I am sooooo happy. I love my new nose! Forget all of those things I said before. The swelling went down and my nose settled into a very nice look. The nose dropped and isnt in the air anymore and my nostrils are no longer slanted. It was a long journey but for anyone who is freaking out about their nose job results, please learn from me, BE PATIENT! Stay away from the mirror for the first 2 and half months. It will drive you insane for no reason. I still have 8 months of healing to do but at this point i am very happy with my results...

Posted my 4 month post op pics. My nose is...

Posted my 4 month post op pics. My nose is settling in quite nicely now. Im at the point now that I can appreciate having the surgery even though the recovery period is an experience in itself. I think thats the hardest part of having a rhinoplasty.

Just had a filler shot injected on the right...

Just had a filler shot injected on the right nostril yesterday. Not too painful and the results were immediate. It filled in the side of my nostril where I felt my nose appeared slightly pinched. It's subtle but made a big difference to my watchful eye :-)

Hi New Do--I'm having an experience that sounds exactly like yours, except I'm at the 2 month mark and not doing well. If you could message me, I would really love to ask you some questions about your experience! It's encouraging that you love it now.
Did the outside incisions fade sufficiently for you so that you don't notice them?
Who was your doctor???
Honestly, you looked beautiful before. I'm glad you're happy now, though.
Isn't it sooo difficult to get through?! I swear, they just don't let you know the psychological effects.... but you are looking sooo lovely and I am glad you like it now!!! It makes all the difference in how you carry yourself :)
I'm glad that you ended up loving your nose. I hope the same happens to me. I'm one week post op and I had the same problem as you, where the upper lip covers the teeth when smiling. Did your smile eventually return to normal? Or is your upper lip still stiff?
Hi anon. My smile, lip, and face all returned back to normal at somewhere around the 2 month mark. My advice is try and distract yourself for a couple months so you don't hone in and dwell on it. Try not to evaluate it everyday. That was my biggest problem I ran to the mirror every morning desperate to see a sign of my old nose and it just doesn't happen like that. Time is your best friend and worst enemy.
You look beautiful before and after, and I agree that with time your nose got more similar to your old one! Hope that it happens to me too! Now you don't regret the surgery, right? I hope I'll get into this point too, and stop thinking about revision!
Hey how is the nose doing
Looking great Girly. I'm think about going to California for rhinoplasty waiting to hear back from doctor sent my pictures in.
Hey candi what doctor? I am looking into this
Hey!!! Im glad your results came out great! Your nose WAS VERY nice before!!! I was soooo scared when I was flipping through your post op pics. Thank GOD!! You look great!
Thank u 23. Just imagine if you were scared how afraid I was! But alls well that ends well soooo..... I'm happy.
It is settling in nice. Wow, i didnt know it would take so long for the final product. I am definately thinking twice. Did u get any grafts or anything? Did he just use your own cartlidge and stuff?
Yes he is a facial specialist. He doesn't operate on any other part of the body, just hair transplants and facial. I'm surprised you had such an aggressive experience with his staff, they were always so sweet and caring with me. Maybe that might also be because at my consultations I already knew I was having the surgeries, it was mere housekeeping going thru the consults. He really is a great surgeon.
Honestly I have no idea. I can ask at my next appointment next week and let you know. I never asked exactly how he was going to do it.
We're your stitches on the inside of your nose, outside, or both?
Both, I had stitches inside of my nostrils and stitches on the outside of the little strip of skin separating your nostrils.
I have no idea. Yes girl it take so long and so much patience. You have to be a monk not to flip out. I would say if u don't absolutely hate your nose, don't change anything about it. Even slight changes alter what you are used to seeing in the mirror and will drive you insane if you didn't hate it before. Just a small tip. Don't do any more than what you think you need, don't listen to the doc telling you what you should do.
Hi did the doctor use wedge incisions or sill incisions to narrow your nostrils? I can't quite tell from the pictures you posted.
I'm glad you're feeling better about the results! I didn't realize Dr. Epstein performed facial plastic surgery. I had a consult with him in NY to lower my hairline but didn't go forward with it because his sales team gave me such a hard sell! Though my research showed that he was well-known in the hair transplant field, I didn't like being pushed in the direction of a lot of expensive options I didn't initially come to get by him and the sales crew - but it's a business. I thought about it when I re-read what you said about having a clear idea of what you wanted when you walked in and getting coaxed into more and disliking the results. As time goes by I hope you continue to grow into liking your new nose or modifying it if you wish. Thank you for sharing your story.
Cool thanks. I went on his website yesterday. I am in Miami so trying to find a local doctor is hard. I havea consult with Dr. davis in October but haven't found another doctor as of yet. It is hard finding someone to work on an ethnic nose and like you said I dont want a new ose just a better version of my own. I will contact Dr. epstein. Did he use any grafts or etc?
what doctor did u go to and lastly you were beautiful before the rhino. i didn't see anything wrong with your nose.
Thank u missmiami but I guess I didn't post the right kind of pictures. I will post a before pic of my profile and you will see the old Indian hump. It was a mess. Dr Jeffrey epstein performed my rhino and at only 4 months post op I think he did a wonderful job. The swelling will fool ya in the beginning. Let me go look for some before pics from the side view.