Emotionally and Physically Scarred After Mini-lift

I had a mini face lift almost eight weeks ago, in...

I had a mini face lift almost eight weeks ago, in March. At first I liked what I saw but the more I “heal” the more I’m realizing this might actually be my final result.

For the first few weeks after the procedure the swelling was terrible, especially concentrated in my cheeks and working outwards toward my ears. This is part of the normal healing process for a mini lift so I wasn’t concerned. I also bruised very badly and built up blood pockets under the skin. Again, this is supposed to be normal but it was also very frightening! I don’t think these doctors should send patients home like this because it is very scary to be alone and looking like this. You don’t know if you’re going to have problems or not.

Now I’m two months “recovered” and the swelling has lessened but it’s still there in my cheeks. I have also developed hard little lumps in my cheeks that can’t be massaged away (I’ve tried). My doctor told me to do massages at first to smooth out the area and to keep doing them but they didn’t seem to be doing any good. Then he told me it was fluid build up and went in and drained the area. This didn’t bring noticeable results either and I am still swollen and awaiting a call back about the next step. Part of my face is still numb too.

At this point I am worried that if I stay swollen much longer then my skin will be permanently stretched and I will need another mini lift. I don’t think there’s anyway to avoid it but this was not the results I expected.

By the way, ARNICA in any form is CHEAP and the results are always fabulous.
Anyone who is undergoing surgery should ask their doctor to provide them with arnica. Even Dr. Oz recommends it! I have used it both for myself and my dogs - tremendous results every time. Arnica is effective for the reduction of bruising, edema, and inflammation associated with surgery. Reduces bleeding and in turn, pain = faster healing and less complications. MANY plastic surgeons carry a brand name of arnica which is dosed days before and after surgery (yellow box, starts with an S - can't recall the name). In terms of topical brands, the best standardized form of Arnica is BruiseStick, which is available commercially in the United States. www.bruisestick.com . You can also buy standardized arnica. Do a little research to find the best one. If your doctor carries it, I'd give him extra points as it shows he cares about the healing process, not just the procedure and the money he makes. Goes to character.
Could you post the name of the dotor who did your liquid facelift? I would very much appreciate it as I will be in the UK this year.
hi sorry for my late response, here in the uk, restylane sub q is injected by any qualified nurse, if you look online at the nearest clinic that does botox to where you will be staying location wise, chances are that they will perform sub q filla as well, it is becomming highly popular here, and most clinics are doing the procedure.
Thanks for the reply, Charlotte. I am originally from the UK and I visit at least once a year to see relatives. I would very much appreciate a personal recommendation of a practitioner as you know this is the best way of findind a doctor to do any procedure. Of course, it is still not guarantee that the results will be good. I had restylane injected in July at the corners of the mouth and below to get rid of that horrible jowly look. It did not look as well as I had hoped and I think I have been left with a sort of squareish face. I am therefore, rather nervous of getting anything else done. The jowls are my big think at the moment and the loss of fat in the cheek area. My practitioner is well known and has a clinic in London, opposite Harrods.
hi it is done using restylane sub q filla, i had it in my cheeks and the areas that with age fat has disappeared from, it lifted and filled out my face, it did everything the face lift should have done but didnt, the filla is meant to last anything from 12-18 months, i had it done in the uk, it cost less than £1000, no surgery was involved, i am thrilled with the results! and the filla is 100% safe, no risk of allergic reactions, it was very uncomfortable having it done, and my face swelled up terrible for ten days, i was scared crapless, but when it settled down i was so happy with the results, il definately have it done again, and would recomend!
after my mini lift i had lumps in my cheeks which were noticeable, a year now after surgery and i still have a lump on one side, and i also still have numbness, i never got full feeling back. i wish i had never had it done. i recently had a liquid face lift, and the results have been fantastic, just a week of swelling, and i look ten years younger, its lifted my jowls and cheeks. i would recommend it.
What's a liquid face lift?

This FAQ might help: What is a liquid facelift?

you people are all talking about lumps under your chin and stuff like that. I have lumps on my cheeks!!!! I have no way to hide them. I lied and told all my clients (I'm an hairdresser) that I was having my wisdom teeth removed. I look so bad and for so long (7 wks) that I had to come clean. My Dr has been very caring and today I got a cortisone shot. I sure hope it works because I look like a monster. Worse than before!!! OMG I don't know what to do.
Thanks, I hope things get better. Like I said, it took 3 months for my swelling to go away. Some people do not have as much swelling as others, but I have a lot. I have learned to triple their estimate for swelling and then to expect some morning swelling months after. Keep us posted!
Hello in AL, did you have an LSL like some of the othrs? I am considering a mini-lift as well, but not the LSL as I have heard horror stories. I have had blephs and lipo under my chin. I had swelling off and on for 3 months. I had a knot under my chin that felt like an eraser for several weeks. All of that improved though. Also, has anyone had a mini-lift by Dr. Mike Nayak in St. Louis. His before-and-afters look great. I'd just like some first hand testimonials though, if possible.
No, I did not have a LSL. I just had what was supposed to be a mini lift with underlying skin to be tightened. It has turned into a major ordeal for me. I cannot get the swelling under my eyes to go away. I have tried everything. I am going into my 3rd month after the surgery. I just wish I knew "if" the swelling will eventually go away. I had upper and lower bleph about 5 years ago but didn't experience this type swelling under my eyes. This time I didn't have any surgery on my eyes yet that is where I have the swelling. Good luck with any future surgery you have.
I am in the same boat. I had a mini face lift about 8 weeks ago and was told in the beginning that the swelling would (for the most part) go away in a few weeks. Now that a lot of swelling is still around my under eye area it has turned into a few months. WHAT?? You are right in that we should be told this to begin with. We are left sitting at home looking at someone in the mirror (in shock) wondering what we should do next. I still have swelling on my face and I am also worried that it has stayed swollen so long that my skin will be stretched. I am hoping for the best and if my swelling does go down, I will report back that I was wrong in judging too fast. But for now, I am worried and wish I had been told about the months thing b/c I have to go back to work looking like this which I did not expect. When you pay this much money for something, you expect fantastic results not weeks of worry.
Your story sounds like the beginning of our stories. I pray you are the one to heal, but fear you may not. I am not a DR, just one of many who had the LSL & our stories sound so much alike. Keep the faith, we eill pray for your recovery. Give it a month& see a board certified P.S. elsewhere. There are many good Dr's on this site to choose from, possibly living near you. God Bless& feel free to personally email me under Bits
It has been three weeks since my "mini Face lift". I am still quite swollen and sore all around my ears and numb in front of my ears. There is a noticeable scar and a hard lump under my chin. I am told now that it will take six months to fully recover [after being told 2-3 weeks before I had it done]. It has been a real ordeal and I am still frightened that it won't fully heal or feel natural again, or even that it looks improved frankly. If I had know what it would take psychologically and physically I definitely would NOT do it and will never let them cut me again. They make it sound so easy and show you only the good results and say there is nothing that can go wrong. I feel like a real sucker. It cost $4500 plus a week alone in a hotel room with horrible huge bruises. I also had my upper eye lids lifted and see some improvement at the center of the lid with a droop at the outside corners that looks even worse to me than before, plus protruding noticeable scars [this was an addittional $1300]. Maybe it will eventually be something I am glad I did, but at this point I fully regret it.
has anyone had a quick lift or botox around the mouth and forehead in the Charlotte area or gastonia area, if so could you please let me know the dr. and results from this.
Has anyone had a chicago area LSL done? How did it go& were you happy? Please feel free to click on my username if you want, to privately email me. Am very curious how it went, where it was done& how you liked the staff/ doctor.
How are you doing now?
NO ONE EXPECTS THOSE RESULTS AND IT SEEMS QUITE A LOT OF US ARE HAVING THE SAME SYMPTOMS. I FOR ONE WOULDNT LET ANOTHER OF THEM AT LSL, AFTER THE INITIAL SURGERY, TOUCH ME!!! I DEVELOPED, WHAT SEEMS TO BE WHAT YOU HAVE, A HEMATOMA. IT'S BLOOD THAT WASNT ABSORBED BY THE BODY. I IMMEDIATELY WENT TO ANOTHER, WELL A "REAL" PLASTIC SURGEON, TO TAKE CARE OF ME. HE HAD TO DRAIN IT E/O DAY FOR THE PAST2 WEEKS. I KNEW THIS WAS A PLACE WHERE THEY DIDNT KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING THE MIN. THEY BEGAN SURG. IT WAS TOO LATE, BUT I WASNT GOING TO BE A STATISTIC OF A FACE LIFT GONE BAD!!!! SO I WALKED OUT B/F THEY HURT ME AND RUINED MY FACE ANYMORE... GOOD LUCK, YOU SHOULD BE RESTING. HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN SWOLLEN? MINE WAS FOR 3 DAYS AND IT'S BEEN DRAINING EVER SINCE. I'VE BEEN SEEN BY MY PS MANY TIMES AND THAT TOO WILL COST ME!!! AND IT AIN'T GONNA BE CHEAP, TRUST ME. MY FACE IS WORTH THE CORRECTION.