PTSD from Rhinoplasty - Washington DC, DC

I had a septo-rhinoplasty last year. I am writing...

I had a septo-rhinoplasty last year. I am writing this to reach out to those out there who are thinking of having a rhinoplasty but are not entirely sure, or to those who have had this procedure and are experiencing severe depression/PTSD. Many people do not think about the risks, and I would be happy to share my experience. I did not have a "botched" surgery , nor do friends and family think I look that much different. However, the "slight" change had a huge unexpected effect on my life, and I would be happy to share my experience to help others in any way that I can. Those who have been diagnosed with PTSD/depression or anything similar from this procedure, please feel free to get in touch.

I'm currently taking meds for the extreme anxiety that my nose job gave me :/ it's been traumatic
I am so sorry… I know how you feel. I am taking a lot of meds too... It has changed my life in such a big way... Are you going to have a revision?

I'm really sorry to hear you're dealing with PTSD from rhinoplasty! Had you had issues with depression in the past, or did this come out of the blue for you?

I had some difficult periods of my life, but nothing like this. This really did come from my reaction to the surgery. I feel as though I have lost my Self, and miss my old face. I wish I could go back in time. I was definitely not ready to make such a big decision and I definitely did not think enough about what would or could happen if I did not like the outcome.
I'm in the same boat. I have had the most horrible 6 months since my surgery. I miss my old face every day. I feel like I'm mourning a loss of someone I was close to. The surgery was meant to be conservative but it didnt come out that way. Not only do I have no connection to my new self, my nose is more crooked than ever before. My surgeon puts it down to swelling but not much has changed month to month. I cry ever day regretting this decision. Everyday that goes passed I feel more like a stranger to myself. I see a psychologist and take anti depressants but nothing can cure my broken heart and my regret that I ruined my unique looks. I wish I was warned before I went in. I wish there were more people posting their bad experiences so that others wouldn't have to make the same mistakes and feel sadness that ruins your life. I don't know where to go from here.
I am really glad that you posted. I am going to send you a private message now.
I understand everything that you have expressed. Because it is the same for me. The difference now for me is that I just had a revision surgery in February and I have more hope. I am trying my best not to judge my nose since I am still in the height of the swelling. I can see that I do like the nose I have better than the last one. At least that is what I feel at the moment. Who knows how it will heal and what I will feel in a month from now. I guess I am doing better since I stopped taking my anti-depressant and am doing more than wallowing in regret and fighting off horrible thoughts. However, I would like to continue to see a therapist, maybe just not as often as I had been going. I was severely depressed before my revision. I actually can't believe I made it through my graduate school program. It was a nightmare every day waking up. I think the trauma that I experienced and the obsessive thinking that would never go away really has had a lasting impact on some of the deepest levels of my Person/Self, if that makes any sense. I still have a long way to go, even though I am feeling better than before. I need to constantly try to make new connections to my "new Self", which for me still is not easy, since I continue to miss my old face before any of these surgeries. Please feel free to send me a private message. I found that it really helps to talk about this experience with those who have experienced it (and I believe there are a lot of us). It is the only way that I got through. There was a lovely woman who responded to my post and she agreed to speak to me on the phone. I remember calling her the minute that she sent me her phone number, because I was that desperate to connect with somebody who understood how I felt. That conversation was so important to me and I will never forget her generosity. I would like to be of help to anybody out there, just as this woman was to me. This is a very special community, especially for those of us who are in the deepest depths of suffering, so please feel free to contact me.