Journey To Clear Skin - Clarkston, MI

My name is Melissa, I've had acne since I was in...

My name is Melissa, I've had acne since I was in 6th grade, I'm now 24 years old. I've tired all kinds of things over the years to try and help my skin, from prescription creams like Duac, and BenzaClin, to prescription pills like doxycycline, and birth control. I've even tried Proactiv and other over the counter creams and cleansers. None of which cleared my skin. Today I started Absorica (isotretinoin) the generic version of Accutane. My insurance company Blue Cross Blue Shield didn't cover Accutane so they gave me the generic. It wasn't easy to get on either, after 2 months of blood test to say i wasn't pregnant, my dermatologist had to call my insurance company to authorize me to be on it before they would approve to cover the generic version. The pills cost me $10 for a months supply, the dermatologist visit cost $80 each month, and the blood test are $50 each month. Overall costing me $140 a month. Finally my journey starts and I'm hoping for the best.
That sucks about the expense... :( I hope your journey is a good one!
Yeah but I'm just glad my insurance company is covering some of the cost. Thank you

Sorry to hear about the expense. :-/ Bummer the insurance doesn't cover more. I'm glad you are able to cover the costs and give it a try. I'll be hoping your body handles the medication well. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

One month in, I think it's working...

I've been taking 40mg of Accutane for a month now, and I'm still on 40mg. The first 2 weeks my skin got worse but it's better now. My side effects from the pill is dryness. My skin and lips were really dry the first few weeks of taking the pill. My dermatologist told me to use CeraVe moisturizing lotion and Vaniply ointment for my lips. I didn't feel like the Vaniply was working thought, so I started using Carmex for my lips, which is what I've always used before the pill and my lips are healed and fine. The CeraVe works but I like to mix it with Cetaphil moisturizing cream for around my chin and nose, where I get really dry. I think the Accutane is working but, it's still to early to tell. Hoping I see more results this month!

Hey there, just checking in to see how things are going with your treatment.

Hi Milisa. Our 13 yo daughter is waiting for her next demo visit and this accutane is being talked about so we are very interested in your opinion and experiences through the course of your medication. Any tip advice pro/con you have would be greatly appericated. Good luck Mick
Only cons for me have been the dryness, make sure she drinks lots of water and moisturizes :-)

It's seems to be getting better

Last month I got sick (throwing up) and had to stop taking pills for a week and a half so I could take some antibiotics, it was not from the Accutane. Back on Absorica, in my 3rd month, still on 40mg and my skin has cleared up a lot! My back and chest has completely cleared up and my face looks better. My Dermatologist wants me to work on my diet, my cholesterol is not so great, so now I'm trying to eat healthier. I also have to drink lots of water because this pill will dry you out. My only cons for now is the DRYNESS! My eyes get dry, so I've been using artificial tears eye drops. For my skin I'm still using CeraVe and Carmex for my lips works. Anyone getting ready to get on Accutane just know, your skin is very sensitive while on this pill! I went to get my eyebrows waxed last month and my eyebrows and eyelids got burnt, this has never happened before and I always go to the same lady. They since have healed but needless to say I won't be getting my eyebrows waxed until I'm off this pill. Looking forward to seeing my face to clear more! :-)

Your skin looks amazing...thanks for the update!!

About the same...

My skin is about the same that it was last month so my dermatologist upped my dose from 40mg to 60mg. Hopefully this will get rid of the few breakouts I'm still getting.

Almost done...

6th month on Accutane and I'm almost done. She upped my dose to 80mg a day because I'm still getting a few breakouts, she said I might have to do one more month depending on how I look after this month. I am hoping I don't have to do another month though, hopefully this 80mgs will knock it out.

Trying to get rid of acne scars

Last month on Accutane, 40mgs. I haven't had any breakouts on my face but I still have red marks and scars I'm trying to get rid of. I've been using Simple moisturizing face was, Clinique even better kit and CeraVe, Cetaphil moisturizing cream and Palmar's coco butter. If anyone knows anything to get rid of acne scars and red marks, please let me know. Thanks :)
I'm going to be starting Accutane soon, so excited! I had to try the antibiotics and creams first before my insurance would let me try it. Those helped a little but still have acne. Blood work came in today and hopefully my insurance, BSBC, well cover most of it, fingers crossed! If not, I'm going with a generic kind. Which generic brand of Accutane is the best?
I was on the generic Accutane called Absorica, it worked my skin is clear. Good luck with your journey! :)
Ok thx! Didn't know this process would be so expensive from the blood work to the doctor visits to the BC, just want my acne completely GONE! Might do one of these journey pics like you did to show my results (=