Still deciding....- Chicago, IL

Like everyone else here I've always hated my nose...

Like everyone else here I've always hated my nose and can't wait to have it fixed. There's always been things that I've wanted in the same price range that make me guilty for even thinking about it, like to travel or get a better car, but I just feel like having a rhinoplasty would lift a huge weight off my shoulder since it's something I know I've always was going to get and have wanted it as soon as I possibly can get it. I've had a rhinoplasty consultation before a few years ago, but I wasn't ready to pay for it. Now I've saved up everything I can and I booked a consultation with Dr. Shah after doing tons of research. I just got back a few hours ago and and now I just have to figure out insurance, since I have a deviated septum they told me that they'll cover part of the surgery. I also have a little saving to do, since I want some back up money and don't want to be absolutely broke when I'm done lol. I also need to make sure I have money for prescriptions and things for recovery.

Another problem I have is telling my boyfriend. His family took me in so I live with them and share a room with him. A long time ago, he said he would break up with me if I got any plastic surgery, but he's also changed a lot since then so I have no idea what his reaction will be. I'm thinking about passing it off as mostly a medical thing, but I really have no idea how to bring it up! I'm scared because there's no way I can escape him if things go badly. I'm just really hoping he'll understand that this is something I need..... same with my parents. They turned me down the first time, but this time I'll be paying for it myself.

I'll post pictures later, they said they'll be sending me my morphs soon.

picture time

these are the morphs Dr Shah made for me

more consultations, more opinions

Although I'm happy with Dr. Shah, I want to get more opinions first before I take the plunge. Unfortunately I couldn't find many reviews with pictures for Chicago rhinoplasty, so I had to judge on before and afters. I made a consultation with Dr. Moynihan for the 29th and am thinking about making one for Mustoe. Does anyone have any recommendations??

pictures

still deciding

I talked with Karin about my insurance, she was really helpful and responded quickly by email and phone. Now that insurance is settled, I just need to schedule a date but I'm still hesitant due to money and the boyfriend.

I told my boyfriend that I need a septoplasty for my breathing and at first he didn't like the idea of changing my nose but then he said if its for my breathing, then to go for it. I want to be honest though... argh

I've been playing with photoshop to convince myself that the money is worth it lol

money?

Although I have about $4000 saved up, I really don't like the idea of being completely broke after surgery...

I'm thinking about using my savings bonds that my mom is holding for me. I only have about $2000 for them, so I'm not really sure if it would be better to hold onto them or go ahead and use them for the surgery. I would talk to my mom about it but if she knew what I was using it for, she'd be against it.

taking selfies is so weird

Added a front view and another side view. I never take selfies because I'm ashamed of how I look so this is so weird haha

Doctor's side view

Last picture was too small

alright alright alright alright

I tried getting my worst angles. Hopefully it's close to what the doctor can give me!!

Agh..... this is such a big decision

I'm finally ready!! Just a couple more paychecks and i should be good to go, besides getting contacts because I'm blind as heck. I'm a very frugal person and have never had this much money before, so it's just coming to terms with losing everything I've saved up.

starting to get depressed

I don't have enough money anymore because I had to buy a new car since my old one was breaking down. I feel like everyone around me has such a small nose and that mine breaks my face so much. I feel ugly and like there's nothing I can do.
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi! I am so sorry to hear that you were unable to get your surgery. Does your plastic surgeon accept CareCredit? Thats a great option that you can do monthly payments on. If you pay it off in 18 months theres no interest :)
He does, but I don't have any credit unfortunately so I think i would get denied.
When is your rhinoplasty?
I'm going to have to postpone it because I had to buy a new car :/
I can completely relate to a lot of your story. I am from Chicago actually and would have gone with Dr. Shah if I still lived there. My fiance was very against plastic surgery at first too, so definitely emphasize the medical aspect. The financial part was really hard for me too but in the end, the scrimping and saving was worth it because now I can enjoy this new nose the rest of my life! And by the way, you could totally pull off bangs!
You are already really beautiful, and a slight change in the size of your nose will only enhance your beauty! The reason everyone is saying how pretty you are is because your nose is not really that bad, but I understand your reason for wanting to alter it a little. Coming to terms with how much money the surgery is going to cost is a difficult thing - there were many times where I almost talked myself out of it because of all the things that money could have been put towards instead, and I did feel very selfish. But what you need to accept that if this is what is going to make you happy, this is what you have to do. In the long run it will all be worth it - and money is something that can always be earned and saved all over again, the surgery is forever and you only live once so you must do what it is that will guarantee you happiness for the rest of your life :)
Thank you!! Unfortunately, maybe I can't see past the effects bullying has caused I think so I think it's huuuuge. I feel like such a freak around my boyfriend and his family and my friends because they all have small noses. I know it's not good to compare yourself, but man is it hard. Money is so far my biggest obstacle yet. That's a very good point that I never thought about though. I do feel selfish and silly for wanting it, but I suppose my happiness afterwards will make it worth it. Your new nose is adorable so far btw!!
Hi, just wondering what your surgeon said about widening your nose? I think my surgery will involve this as well using septal cartilage.
Hmmm honestly, i don't even remember lol sorry. I think maybe tip cartilage??
Awww youre already really pretty. You have really nice eyes. You shouldnt be ashamed of anything
Thanks!! I wish I could focus on my pros instead of my cons lol.
I think you look great the way you are. Save your money. You don't need any work done.
I have had two consultations with him, and I'm in the same boat. A little nervous about going through with it.
Thanks for starting your story on RealSelf! Definitely sit down with your boyfriend and have a heart to heart sooner rather than later. Let him know how much and why you want this, and that it won't affect how you feel about him (he may be feeling some insecurity). I hope insurance helps you out. Please keep us posted!
I hope your insurance covers portion of the surgery. You can tell your bf it's medically necessary to have the procedure which is true since you said you have a deviated septum. All the best and please keep us posted.