Allergic Reaction - California

I'd had a Jessner's peel before with no...

I'd had a Jessner's peel before with no problems and nice result. Last week had another with severe allergic reaction. Extreme swelling of my face, lips and throat, with oozing particularly on my chin. Also had hives on my neck. Swelling did not begin to recede for over 14 hours and was not completely gone for more than 4 days. Doctor's office couldn't explain what happened.

Dermacare

I am an esthetician and I can tell you a Jessner peel is very strong. And there are a number of acids in a Jessner. If you have sensitive skin this is too strong of a peel for you. I have a sensitivity to one of the acids in the Jessner too and can't do them! My skin will be on fire for DAYS!!
It sounds like maybe some people tried to get too aggressive too quickly. I've been getting Jessners for about 5 years now but only after having tried other light peels for several years. I've also never had more than 3 layers. My skin always looks great after. It's red for a couple days, brown and peely for another 4 and glowing by day 7.
HORRIBLE!! Wel I just did my first Jessner peel and a trip to the ER! I did the peel 3 days ago and only did 1 layer. During the last 3 days my face has become so red and the pain was so intense I couldn't do anything yesterday, let alone sleep. I just had foot surgery and that was easy compared to the pain from this peel. Woke up last night and my face was swelling up really bad so I went to the E.R. They just have me tyenol, advil and cream. Still not sure why this happened but I'll keep my wrinkles and sun spots..this was a terrible exerience for me. I look awful and am kind of scared. Can anyone relate?
I looked closer at my skin and the skin is raised and bumpy but not blistered. I even did a test area on my skin a couple of months ago before trying the peel. I guess I'll call my esthetician in the morning.
Everything I've read about my skin's reaction sounds like it's in line with what should be happening. I'm not going to get alarmed yet.
I'm on day 5 after my Jessner peel and I'm still beat red on most of my face. I had a 6 layer peel and my face started itching terribly on day 3 and continues to itch pretty bad. I am flaking and peeling a lot but I got brave and tried to go out in public for a quick errand this morning. However, I cut my trip short when I checked myself in the mirror. A lot of the red areas also look like they have tiny blisters. I'm hoping this is normal and that everything will calm down soon.
I would call your face person or your doctor. I personally just had the same peel and the same problem. It took me several weeks and steroids for an allergic reaction and antibiotics for the staph infection that followed.... This was one of the worst experiences of my whole life. I just had a microdermabrasion to try and correct some of the damage. Please let me know how things turn out. I'm still healing
Wow, yup thats what I look like right now!!! I had a horrible allergic reaction. I have been going to the same place for all my facial needs for almost six yrs. I love the lady who does my face. I had a 3 layer peel done and within 48 hours my face was covered in what looked like little white heads. My face was flaming red on day 3 and itched sooo bad it became unbearable. I called my lady the very next day and she has been very good at seeing me right away. Had to get a scrip for antibiotics and I still have no idea what it could have been. i have no allergies to any meds or foods. We went over all the ingredients but came up with no culprit. I am on day 1 of the antibiotics so we'll see how it goes. Ive had to call into work 1 day so far. I have had peels done before and never had a problem. This is going on day 5 for me and I can't really go out in public. Im currently using 1% cortisone and aquaphor for itching. Just helpful advice for anyone who may encounter this issue in the future.
Hello Mamalynn. I did the Jesner peel at he six days ago. I.e. having the same tearoom, red bumpy skin with some seeping, extremely itching to the point of unbearable. I went to my doctors office yest. But didn't see the main doctor who had experience with peels, this.doctor told me everything looked fine, have me 5 days supply of prednisone I and told me to.take antihistamines (I am taking Benadryl) for the itch since the cream that came with the peel, aquaphor, nor neosporin I was applying was helping. today after it had seemed my face was better and actually clearing is worse today and I will go.see a.dermatologist tomorrow since they are closed today. How is your face today?
Thanks for posting the picture. This looks exactly like I look now. In my case I think that the swelling came from the antiobiotc ointment that I used after the peel. Found out that I'm allergic to the Neomycin component in the triple antiobiotic ointment.
I had a 5 layer Jessner's peel 3 weeks ago and my face was noticeably swollen for a couple of days, even though I took Benadryl on the advice of my esthetician. the areas treated also itched a little and I had a couple of small blisters around the hairline. My face felt hot for about 3 days until it started peeling. I had it done on a Wed. morning, I was very red that afternoon and the peeling did not start until Saturday and by Tuesday it was about 90% peeled. My esthetician also did a facial one week after the peel was applied and that felt so good. I had 1-2 layer Jessner's peel years before with hardly any pinkness and peeling so I decided this time to go for a deeper peel to take care of the accumulated acne scars. By the way I'm 46 yrs old. I was pleased with the results once all the peeling was done. I'm thinking of getting another one in a couple of months but maybe just 3 layers so the down time is not as long.

Hi latennan,

Oh my! I am so sorry this happened to you, sounds miserable. Did you go to the same doctor as the first time? I'm only asking because it you had it once without problems I wonder why the second time you had a problem. Had you taken a new medicine or something? I'm so puzzled as to why this would happen. Please keep us updated on when the swelling goes down and when you are healed.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Same doctor, same peel, and I don't take any medications and everything else in my life was the same. Freak occurrence I guess. The extreme swelling went down within 24 hours, some residual puffiness for about 3-4 days.

Well I'm glad the puffiness went down. That does sound like a freak accident, but at least you are feeling better. Please keep us updated.

Thanks,