The Only Thing That Really Worked for Me - British Columbia

I have had acne for about 12 years. I have never...

I have had acne for about 12 years. I have never had clear skin since I was a little kid. For a while, my acne was fairly mild, but last year it started getting worse all of a sudden. My doctor put me on antibiotics, and just as they started to help, I developed an allergy to them. Next I tried Retin-A. I had such high hopes for it, but every time I went up in strength, my acne would get worse and worse. After being on Retin-A for about 8 months with worse skin than I'd had before I started, I went back to the doctor.

He told me that while my acne wasn't severe, it was treatment resistant. He said the only thing that would help me would be isotretinoin, so he gave me a prescription for 40mg of Clarus (Canadian Accutane). Since then, my skin has been getting better every single day. I noticed a difference right away because my acne stopped being cystic. I was amazed.

My skin has dried out a lot, but I'm actually enjoying it. It used to be so oily that my makeup would slide off my face and people would ask me if I was sweating all the time. Now, my face stays matte all day, but I don't even need makeup most of the time!

I have been extremely sensitive to the sun, which is challenging when it's 40 C out all the time and you have to wear a long sleeved shirt. I tried wearing tee shirts but I got sunburnt even with sunscreen. However, that's a small price to pay for awesome skin!

During the first month of my treatment, I had sore joints and movement was painful. This has mostly gone away now. However, I find exercising really difficult.

Overall, I've been on Clarus for about 2 months.

More side effects

I thought I should go into a bit more detail about the side effects I've been experiencing in case anyone is interested. So far, there have been quite a few, but I'm more than willing to deal with them if it means I get great skin. So here is a list!

-I was really into running before I got on Accutane, but I started noticing that although I am fit, I can barely manage to run 5k without stopping. Every time I went for a run, I would be able to run less and less than the time before. It was like my fitness was going down even as I was trying to improve it. Before this, I could run 8k with no problem at all. I'm hoping I can get back into exercising once my course is done.
-I have gotten about 4 major nosebleeds and multiple smaller ones. If I blow my nose, there is always blood in it, which is sort of gross.
-During the first month and a half, my ribcage felt very inflexible. It hurt to lie down and then sit up, or vice versa, because it felt like I my ribcage couldn't move. Weird, but it's mostly gone now.
-I felt nauseated for the first few days after taking it, and I didn't want to eat very much.
-The skin around my mouth is always cracked and scabby for some reason.
-My lips are very dry. I can put lip balm on ten times a day and they will still be dry.
-I get sunburnt in about 2 minutes WITH sunscreen.
-My eyes often get red and teary, maybe because they're dried out. It's one of the more annoying side effects, in my opinion.
-I keep getting all these scabs all over my hands and feet, and a few on my ears. They don't hurt or itch, so I'm not too worried. I do moisturize them, though.

Overall, this has still been totally worth it. My skin hasn't looked this good since I was prepubescent and I'm hopeful that it will last after my course is done.

Worried about hyperpigmentation

My skin is now 98% clear of active acne. I get maybe 2 or 3 tiny zits a week, but it's a completely manageable amount and it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is all the hyperpigmentation and acne scars that I have left behind. In natural lighting, my skin looks pretty bad; it's all speckled and it's not a uniform colour at all. I took some pictures but it wasn't showing up completely; however, you can still get the idea.

The scabs on my hands are getting worse

I am now about 2.5 months into my course of Accutane. The scabs I noticed on my hands are getting a bit worse. I thought I'd show a picture so people can see what it looks like and what they can expect if they go on accutane as well.

I've been moisturizing my hands as much as I can. The scabs don't really hurt too much and it doesn't bother me, but other people seem to notice and get weirded out by it. Oh well. I'm sure they noticed my acne a lot more!

You are looking amazing still :) awesome to see your continuing to improve. How long did your initial breakout last? I just tried to pop two large cysts, I know that's bad but they hurt so bad, but I know it will heal with time. Are you using any topicals along with your treatment?
Hey , im in the same shoes you are in. Been having acne all my life basicly and its alot better then it used to be but i want it all gone, problem is my doctor refuses to give me accutane seeing as he thinks that my acne is too mild. Have a bit less then you did in your previous pics but they are cyctic acne so i have decided to order acuutane online.. My question to you is how long did you take accutane for? Thinking about doing 20mg daily but have no idea how long i should take it. Your skin looks great btw !
Good luck with your course! I have been on it for about 2.5 months now. My doctor told me that most people are on it for about 4-6 months. To make sure you don't relapse, the doctor calculates what your cumulative dose of accutane per kg of body weight will be. Apparently most people need to have had about 120 mg of accutane per kg during their whole course. If you google "accutane cumulative dose" you can find out how to calculate that. Also, since you will be doing it without a doctor, really watch out for warning signs of negative reactions!
Omg- never order medication over the internet as it could be very dangerous, as it is not coming from a doctor. This can be potentially fatal. The internet is full of scams and what seems like a good deal could kill you. Sorry to say :/ you must not have insurance?
Accutane is sucking all the oils out of your body! I am starting in 11 days. I am AMAZED by your short progress already women!!!! WOW!!! Your skin looks so amazing! You started at 40 mg? You had a very mild initial breakout, lets hope its all uphill from here! I would recommend not exercise while on acctunae, you don't want to damage your body as your body is going to be very weak during treatment. And believe me I am an athlete as well, but I will sacrifice that until I have clear skin that's for sures. Continue to update! I am going to keep a log as well. How is your hair doing? As I know hair thinning and shedding is a very common side effect. I am not even going to use my blowdryer or flat iron while on the course! I am going to be very nice to my body, to hopefully shy away negative side effects. I am just so happy for you :)
Good luck with your course! Thanks! I did start on a pretty high dose (for my weight) and I'm soo lucky I didn't get a bad initial breakout. Okay, good to know I'm not the only one who won't be working out on accutane! My hair is actual doing really well. It's not oily at all so I don't have to wash it every day, and if I don't wash it I don't even need to comb it (which reduces opportunities for breakage). I was a bit worried about thinning at the beginning but so far it's all good!
Your skin looks awesome! What brand and dosage do you take ! Giving my hope !
Me**
Thanks! I take Clarus 40 mg.
You look beautiful! gives us hope.
Thank you! I hope your skin turns out well too.
You look great! I hope my skin turns out as beautiful as yours!
Thanks! I hope your skin turns out too.