Nooose

There was a time when I cared nothing for my...

There was a time when I cared nothing for my appearance, disheveled, unkempt, dirty or whatever, and I never received any negative remarks for it.Then Puberty hit I suppose. My nose kept growing, and then I broke it on a porch railing. The shape of my nose took a full 180, turning from ski slope to arching nightmare. My friends teased me about it all throughout middle school, calling me jew nose, beak etc. I took it in stride for the most part, but eventually I suppose I allowed it to get to me. My self confidence began to dissipate, and like many on here who have written reviews, there is not a single thing I do that is not with the conscientious fear of those people who might say the wrong hurtful thing at any given moment. It makes me limit myself in a variety of ways, and I hate that.

Around Freshman year I told myself I had had enough. I asked my mother if I could get a rhinoplasty. She said no; that I should wait until I was finished growing, and furthermore, that she would only let me go through with it if I did well in school.
Today I am eighteen, and heading to Brown in the Fall of 2013. I have had two consultations with Dr. Gallico in Boston MA, and am ready to schedule a surgery for June or late May. I haven't decided yet. Above are my consultation images.As it is now is on the far left, and then two projections, one straight, one slightly curved.

While I recognize the vast improvement, I am just curious as to whether or not the tip on the projections is too long from the surface of my face, and if It is, if there is any way to remedy that for the better. What do you guys think?
So I have a few questions for my surgeon, and I will be updating quite frequently as the time between now and my surgery dwindles. I am so very excited, and I feel much better about the future knowing that I can go through my day with a little more confidence.

I'm definitely going to get a few more...

I'm definitely going to get a few more consultations from other surgeons before I make my final decision! I mean it's my face so I want to be as cautious as possible. It feels like one of the biggest decisions I'll ever make! It's really a drag paying for all of the consultations though haha. Anyways I have another consultation scheduled for this upcoming friday. Should be fun!

Haha It's really funny being one of the only guys...

Haha It's really funny being one of the only guys on this website. It's definitely given me an interesting perspective. I enjoy reading everyone's reviews though, we're like a little community. It's really great. Reading what everyone has to say serves as an everyday reminder for what's in my own future, and I think that's really valuable. Anyways! My second consultation went extremely well. I really liked the doctor. He did three dimensional imaging which was so much more helpful than the projections I posted above. He also discussed a wider range of possibilities which was really reassuring in comparison to the measly "two options or the highway" mandate that I was given at my first consultation (pictured above). The projections at the second consultation even appeared more natural. The nose wasn't so long, and the tip was slightly elevated. This leads me to believe that the first doctor was trying to do as little as possible for the most amount of money, but C'est la vie. I've scheduled surgery for june 3rd and I can't wait. I've become so lighthearted about this whole thing; almost goofy. It's really kind of a funny thing to accept your vanities and pursue a course to satisfy them. I find that sometimes it's nearly impossible for me to not laugh at myself. I'm chopping off a piece of my face, many of you are doing the same, and we're paying some guy thousands of dollars to do it. Do you ever think of it that way? It's fairly unconventional for a young man to go to such drastic lengths to change his appearance, let alone document it. But whatever. It is funny, it's a tad bit humiliating, but through it all, I'm learning more and more every day to be able to laugh at myself, and that alone is worth the experience.

I just had the surgery!

I had surgery today. I got there at about 11:00 AM and waited for about an hour before they admitted me. After I was all changed and everything, they brought me to anesthesia and I waited there in a room alone for about an hour and a half. That was like some bizarre form of torture. It allowed all of my doubts to just gnaw at me. But I have had months to think about this. It was what I wanted. I did it. When I woke up I was very dizzy. They took me to a room to recover and I threw up a little. After that when everyone was gone I was sitting there with my cast on and I was just overwhelmed with regret and sadness. I hadn't even seen the result or anything, but I just go super emotional about it. Has anyone else felt this way after surgery? There is packing in my nose right now. Nothing hurts, though things are a bit unpleasant. Here I am 18 years old. Almost a man, and all I can say is I really need my mom right now. She had to work and is two states away. Can anyone give me a little comfort/ share their experience with me? I also posted a picture of pre op. I got my bump shaved and my tip raised and refined.

There's packing in my nose so i have to breathe through my mouth

My mouth is so so so dry and drinking water only solves the problem for small increments of time. Does anyone have any advice?

Front View

Front View

Forgive the topless picture, I thought I couldn't get a shirt on over my head. I soon figured out a method.

Itchy!

I have always been quick to recover from illness, and it seems like the same applies to my recent surgery. I'm not really swollen except for the area between my eyebrows, and my nose rather than hurting is now starting to itch. I have been told this is a good sign on the road to recovery? I feel as though I'm ready to take the cast off now! Things couldn't be going better. I am just hoping that the final results will be satisfactory!

One more day!

I cant wait to get out of this house. I am beginning to talk to my dog too much.

Front view pre-op.

Another before photo.

Zucchini.

As you can see my nose looked like a zucchini.

Cast off today.

I have never been so nervous in my life.

Swelling up in college.

I love my nose so much. When I wake up the swelling is completely subsided, however as I go about my day, (I'm in school now by the way) it swells up all over and it's makes me feel really uncomfortable. I don't really care that it looks swollen. It just feels funny on my face. It swells up in the tip, and makes my nose look very similar to the way it was before. Im taking arnica pills. Can someone please explain to me how to tape my nose to help with the swelling? Does drinking water help with swelling?

Swelling is AWFUL

I recently started rowing crew. I was told to wait three weeks before aerobic exercise. This is probably far more strenuous than my doctor anticipated. Will working out like this affect my longterm healing? Is it better to not agravate the swelling in the longterm healing process or does it not matter. I can deal with looking like a blimp, but I don't want to mess things up. Conversely I don't want to give up rowing. I lost about 10 pounds of hard earned muscle during recovery, and I really missed working out and running. It's my only therapy/outlet.

Swelling causing droopy appearance. Unable to smile still hahaha.

Swelling is causing a little thickness in the bridge, the tip is very rounded and the columnella is rock hard. I hope it all comes together when the colder months hit. I have a very square shaped head, so the swelling at the tip is making it appear slightly curved from the side. Overall an improvement for now but I want it to be straight! Again I am exacerbating the swelling every day with crew practice, so I am a bit of a glutton for punishment here. I'm bad at taking selfies. I can't smile because of the rhino, so im stuck with these strange grimaces when I try to do so. Instead here's a picture of me looking really pissed off.

Ive stopped Rowing

I need to give myself some time to heal. I need to see it not be swollen. I'm beginning to get nervous.

Gradually

I just cut off a little piece of stitching that somehow recently started hanging out of my nose. At about a month out it's a reminder of how little time its been. Even the stitches have not full dissolved. The swelling in the tip is extremely stubborn. On some days it looks as if I never had surgery at all. I am pretty disappointed, but I remember being happy at one point, so I know, or at least hope, that I can attribute any negative feelings to tip swelling. Some days I am in love with it. Others I am in pain and feel ridiculous. College is not the ideal environment to adapt to such a rapid change. I have a new face. I have not yet gotten used to it. I have not tested its limits. But I have no time to think about it with classes and people and events all around me. Perhaps that is for the better. I am really wishing I had given myself a little more time before diving into SUCH a social environment. I'm waiting for the colder months. I hope the cold air will reduce my swelling. My collumnella is extremely droopy. I think it appears that way because it is so inflated. But I cannot be sure. Does anyone know if that is a possibility? Anyways, trying not to freak out about it. I'm only about 5, 6 weeks out. Hope you are all doing well!

Very Pleased, but slightly concerned. Should I remain patient or consider a revision.

Hello everyone!
It's been quite a while since I've made an update. I wanted to give it some time to settle and get used to my new nose. I am overall very pleased with my new nose. However about eight months out, it is still quite temperamental. When I wake up it's swollen. When I lift weights, it swells. When I yell, it swells. When it gets hot, it swells. I haven't really allowed it to just heal without physically exerting myself causing it to swell back up. My surgeon said I have pretty thick skin, and my profile is straight, but I am concerned with the tip of my nose at this stage. Extensive tip work was done and I know that it is the tip that can take the longest to heal. I have not been in touch with my doctor since the surgery due to my being busy in college. To the touch, the tip of my nose feels like its filled with fluid, and the columnella is still rock hard. Could the swelling be causing this slightly droopy appearance? What are your opinions?

additional photo

Here is a video for better context. Sorry for the quality.

Oooops wrong video sorry guys. Its finals week.

Nose Woes

Meeting with my doctor in about a month. I will broach the topic of a revision, any ideas on how to do this? I feel as if it will be a delicate matter because:
1. I do not want to offend him
2. I don't want to pay full price for the revision
Advice much appreciated thanks guys.

Looking to get a revision

I made a morph of, from memory, roughly what my nose was supposed to look like. Its a poor morph but you get the idea I think. I really want to have my revision with Dr.Eric M. Joseph in New Jersey. Anyone have anything to offer about him? I would be looking to get the revision done around February. In the meantime I have a meeting with my primary surgeon on July 17. I look forward to speaking with him.

3/4 angle morph of the change Im looking to make with a revision

Just another morph to Illustrate the change I was talking about.

Morphs

I really appreciate that some of you like my nose the way it is. I hope maybe these pictures that show my ears and the back of my head might give you some better perspective as to what I am talking about. It's just too long and too droopy/looks too similar to my pre-op. I took a video and got some screenshots and made some morphs of what my doctor and I were hoping to achieve.

Last one.

You look really great with your nose as it is right now, although I can definitely understand wanting to get breathing issues fixed! Best of luck to you
I'm quite surprised your primary surgeon is not offering to revise your nose at no extra charge. Although you agreed to a certain margin of error, it is I think fairly common practice to revisit the nose a year later and touch it up surgically if the client is not completely satisfied and the doctor agrees a better result can be achieved. My surgeon has "touched up" my tip twice since my primary. Although this last one was THE last one. My tip dropped lower than was ideal as well! So I know EXACTLY how you feel and what you are hoping to accomplish through a revision. I wanted my nose to have a subtle upturn. Because you're a guy, you can get away with more of a tip drop than I could, but that doesn't mean that you have to like it. It just means you will probably hear a lot of people tell you it's fine. :-)
It seems like your surgeon was very willing to make sure you are happy- that is definitely a sign of a great surgeon. I am so lucky to not need a revision but I know quite a few people who are struggling with the decision to go forward with one or not. Can I ask you why you chose to do your revision with the same surgeon? Were you nervous at all that he wouldn't deliver your expected results again? Did you just trust that with more guidance re what you'd like he would give you your desired results? Also, were your revisions under local anesthesia? Thanks so much, I think I know more than a dozen people who will benefit from you answering these questions and I appreciate you being so open and honest :)
Hey miss! Those are excellent questions! Sorry for the delayed response. There was never a question as to whether or not I'd continue to work with my surgeon. He's one of the best in the world. I considered both revisions to the tip as necessary "touch ups" to achieve the best possible result. I felt that at this point I'd learned how to perfectly articulate my desired result. The first surgery, I had no idea what to ask for in terms of thinking ahead to how the nose might heal unsatisfactorily, and what I wanted to avoid. Does that make sense? There was never anything wrong with my original nose, I just wanted to further refine it. I think cases like mine can almost be the most difficult in terms of achieving satisfaction. The only thick skin I have is on the tip of my nose (of course!), and I didn't heal optimally. The first revision didn't meet either of our expectations, and the second revision exceeded them! He said during our check up yesterday that the rotation of my nose (what I was worried about) was now "textbook". My revisions were under general anesthesia. I hope I've answered your questions!
Hi angie. Thank you for your comment, I was wondering if you could inform me a little as to how the recovery process for these "touch ups" was in comparison to what you experienced healing after your primary. Thanks in advance.
Hey Perry! I'm happy to answer any questions you have. My first surgery was a septorhinoplasty, so I experienced a little bit of bruising (though not that much), and my face swelled! The swelling in my cheeks was actually worse than the bruising. For my first and second surgeries, I was "climbing up the pain ladder" so to speak, reluctant to dive into the painkillers. For the third, I stayed ahead of it. That made a lot of difference! As a result, my third surgery (second touch up/revision) was almost comfortable. The most discomfort/pain I experienced was in my ear, where cartilage was grafted for the tip and alar rims. So the biggest differences for me were as follows: - No bruising or swelling of the face. -Less pain (I stayed ahead of it with painkillers, about two a day). - Cleared to resume exercise after only 2 weeks (I dance, do Bikram, teach Pilates/dance. My daily routine involves a fairly intense regimen of dance based exercise.) I'm sure it's different for everyone, but that was my experience. I dare say I almost enjoyed this last recovery! I assume it varies for everyone based on what kind of work is done to the nose. My concern for you is the functional aspect. If you are experiencing difficulty with the functionality of your nose then that needs to be addressed. It's one thing for your surgeon to be unwilling (unfortunately) to address aesthetics. It's another thing entirely for him to dismiss any functional issues. Both these concerns could be addressed with a revision. I'm not encouraging you to have another surgery, but I am definitely suggesting you seek out other professional opinions. Take a few consultations with surgeons who specialize in revision, and go from there.
Hi! First off congrats on Brown, that is a great achievement. So we are about the same age (I am also a university student in CA) and I can honestly tell you that I think your nose is fine the way it is. However, I know that when we spend a ton of money, we expect great results, not "fine" results. I just had my rhino on july 29th (if you personal message me and I can show you pictures) and it is my understanding that your nose should be overly upturned in the beginning so that it naturally drops into the desired position. With your photos, it did not look upturned at all after surgery. Can you clarify if it was upturned? If so, did it almost look "piggy"? Also, how tall are you? All of these can be factored into why your surgeon chose the nose he did.
I'm a little under 5'11. The nose tip usually does drop, my nose was initially in the desired position but it fell due to lack of support. It did not look piggy, it very much suited me, and had it remained that way I would not be on this website any more haha. But you are correct in that "fine" is not the goal. "great" would be nice. "good" would be acceptable.
Ahh, see that is why most plastic surgeons over-rotate. That way when it drops, it goes into the desired position. I guess it is kind of like breast implants- they're near your collar bone in the beginning and then drop into place. No clue if any of this is correct- but after extensive research this is what I have come up with.
I totally see what you're trying to achieve! You had a meeting with your primary surgeon on the 17th, how did that go?
I did see my primary surgeon on the 17th and he said that there were certainly things that could be fixed, but he did not want to do a revision because he believed the amount we had achieved was very good, and I could not really disagree. We had discussed my expectations and I had agreed to a certain margin of error, and my nose is certainly within that margin of error. I had of course hoped it would be on the other end of the spectrum closer to what we had morphed. I wish I had those morphs but because it was 3d imaging he did not want to give it to me, lest I "run to another surgeon with his imaging." I'm so glad you can see what I'm trying to achieve! I'm terrible with altering images, but I am very motivated to achieve a nose that is at harmony with the rest of my face. Thank you for your comment!
It sounds like your primary surgeon just doesn't want to take the time to fix the margin of error. I hope things work out!
Thank You!
Thanks for the update. If you are unsatisfied with the results, a revision would be in order. I really like your morphs and I am of the opinion that a feminine nose looks good on both females and males. Why? because its small and attractive. Of course, everything must be proportionate so naturally a male "scooped up" nose will be slightly larger than a female one. My question is if you are going with/considering the same surgeon?
That's generally my belief. I would never in my life ask for a scooped up look. Like you said small is always desirable to the extent that things remain in proportion. I believe I am still out of proportion due to overprojection and under-rotation, the bridge/dorsum however, are perfect and I would not change a thing from the front. I am currently considering Eric M. Joseph in New Jersey for the revision. Take the time to look at his aesthetic there are a few male noses that look perfect. This one in particular. /review/west-orange-nj-rhinoplasty-great-experience-great-results
How did the appointment go with your doctor? Did you agree that revision would be the best outcome? Like you, I am going to mortified when I have to give up exercise for a month. I love running and doing weights, but I don't want to risk the healing process either. Are you back to rowing or running now? Thank you for sharing your story with us :) It's good to find a male perspective!
Hey I understand that you're not happy with your nose and peoples opinion isn't going to change anything, but like everyone else here I want to add my own two cents :P I personally think how your nose looks now suits you - it looks nice and masculine, whereas the morphs make you look really young and boyish and overdone (especially in the 3/4 view). When it comes to male cosmetic surgery less is more! As a perfectionist I understand that you want it to be 100% perfect, but going under the knife again there is always that risk of messing it up even more...anyway hope that regardless of what you end up doing that it all works out :)
Thanks for your comment. I think it's subjective. I was told often before my operation that my nose suited me. It's easy to tack the word masculine onto any wonky feature, but I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that even the subtle improvements made from my last operation have changed my life. Perfection really is not my goal, believe me. But I can't breathe out of my right nostril and I am constantly having to clear my throat for lack of airflow. This paired with the appearance is just enough to send me back to the table. Believe me it's a terrifying ideal, but I'm one year off and I still can't breathe nor am I completely satisfied with the cosmetic outcome. I think that warrants at least some consideration. Also I know I am terrible with photoshop. I'm sure upon a later consultation I will have better images.
The revision looks really good on you yo no homo go for it
I work with models and think you could totally model. Most male models I know do not have tiny little ski slope noses - that look is out and ethnic noses are considered sexy as long as they are in proportion. Maybe you grew up in an area where most of the population had more northern European traits and that's why they brainwashed you into thinking something was wrong with you. Anyway I think you look great as is.
I think a bit of a nose droop on a male looks good actually
I really honestly agree with you 100%. Looking back at that morph I made, the morph looks too small and feminine for my big mug. Certainly the better option lies somewhere in the middle of those two, I'm sure. But as it is now, the droop is a little too severe and it didn't change at all from what it was pre-op and that was my sole motivation in going through with the procedure in the first place. I never really cared about the bump. I feel like I wasted my time and money, and I want to follow up to get what I wanted.
yup lifting the tip feminizes a nose. Personally I think you look fantastic. I think your nose now is a great improvement over your original profile. Though I have to say I'm surprised you got teased for your nose! Guys can have all sorts of wonky noses and get away with it. I love a strong nose on a man and even some women depending on their features. You could get a columellar strut graft but I just had mine removed because it was extremely uncomfortable and will make your tip very stiff. I've also read that sutures could be sufficient to correct the droopiness.
Also, I laughed at your description about your nose swelling. I can so relate. That was the worst!!! It lasted about 4 months for me and made me absolutely miserable.
Haha I know. Huge mistake having my op like one week before I went to college.