Rhinoplasty 6 weeks post op thoughts, feelings, and questions.

There was a time when I cared nothing for my...

There was a time when I cared nothing for my appearance, disheveled, unkempt, dirty or whatever, and I never received any negative remarks for it.Then Puberty hit I suppose. My nose kept growing, and then I broke it on a porch railing. The shape of my nose took a full 180, turning from ski slope to arching nightmare. My friends teased me about it all throughout middle school, calling me jew nose, beak etc. I took it in stride for the most part, but eventually I suppose I allowed it to get to me. My self confidence began to dissipate, and like many on here who have written reviews, there is not a single thing I do that is not with the conscientious fear of those people who might say the wrong hurtful thing at any given moment. It makes me limit myself in a variety of ways, and I hate that.

Around Freshman year I told myself I had had enough. I asked my mother if I could get a rhinoplasty. She said no; that I should wait until I was finished growing, and furthermore, that she would only let me go through with it if I did well in school.
Today I am eighteen, and heading to Brown in the Fall of 2013. I have had two consultations with Dr. Gallico in Boston MA, and am ready to schedule a surgery for June or late May. I haven't decided yet. Above are my consultation images.As it is now is on the far left, and then two projections, one straight, one slightly curved.

While I recognize the vast improvement, I am just curious as to whether or not the tip on the projections is too long from the surface of my face, and if It is, if there is any way to remedy that for the better. What do you guys think?
So I have a few questions for my surgeon, and I will be updating quite frequently as the time between now and my surgery dwindles. I am so very excited, and I feel much better about the future knowing that I can go through my day with a little more confidence.

I'm definitely going to get a few more...

I'm definitely going to get a few more consultations from other surgeons before I make my final decision! I mean it's my face so I want to be as cautious as possible. It feels like one of the biggest decisions I'll ever make! It's really a drag paying for all of the consultations though haha. Anyways I have another consultation scheduled for this upcoming friday. Should be fun!

Haha It's really funny being one of the only guys...

Haha It's really funny being one of the only guys on this website. It's definitely given me an interesting perspective. I enjoy reading everyone's reviews though, we're like a little community. It's really great. Reading what everyone has to say serves as an everyday reminder for what's in my own future, and I think that's really valuable. Anyways! My second consultation went extremely well. I really liked the doctor. He did three dimensional imaging which was so much more helpful than the projections I posted above. He also discussed a wider range of possibilities which was really reassuring in comparison to the measly "two options or the highway" mandate that I was given at my first consultation (pictured above). The projections at the second consultation even appeared more natural. The nose wasn't so long, and the tip was slightly elevated. This leads me to believe that the first doctor was trying to do as little as possible for the most amount of money, but C'est la vie. I've scheduled surgery for june 3rd and I can't wait. I've become so lighthearted about this whole thing; almost goofy. It's really kind of a funny thing to accept your vanities and pursue a course to satisfy them. I find that sometimes it's nearly impossible for me to not laugh at myself. I'm chopping off a piece of my face, many of you are doing the same, and we're paying some guy thousands of dollars to do it. Do you ever think of it that way? It's fairly unconventional for a young man to go to such drastic lengths to change his appearance, let alone document it. But whatever. It is funny, it's a tad bit humiliating, but through it all, I'm learning more and more every day to be able to laugh at myself, and that alone is worth the experience.

I just had the surgery!

I had surgery today. I got there at about 11:00 AM and waited for about an hour before they admitted me. After I was all changed and everything, they brought me to anesthesia and I waited there in a room alone for about an hour and a half. That was like some bizarre form of torture. It allowed all of my doubts to just gnaw at me. But I have had months to think about this. It was what I wanted. I did it. When I woke up I was very dizzy. They took me to a room to recover and I threw up a little. After that when everyone was gone I was sitting there with my cast on and I was just overwhelmed with regret and sadness. I hadn't even seen the result or anything, but I just go super emotional about it. Has anyone else felt this way after surgery? There is packing in my nose right now. Nothing hurts, though things are a bit unpleasant. Here I am 18 years old. Almost a man, and all I can say is I really need my mom right now. She had to work and is two states away. Can anyone give me a little comfort/ share their experience with me? I also posted a picture of pre op. I got my bump shaved and my tip raised and refined.

There's packing in my nose so i have to breathe through my mouth

My mouth is so so so dry and drinking water only solves the problem for small increments of time. Does anyone have any advice?

Front View

Front View

Forgive the topless picture, I thought I couldn't get a shirt on over my head. I soon figured out a method.

Itchy!

I have always been quick to recover from illness, and it seems like the same applies to my recent surgery. I'm not really swollen except for the area between my eyebrows, and my nose rather than hurting is now starting to itch. I have been told this is a good sign on the road to recovery? I feel as though I'm ready to take the cast off now! Things couldn't be going better. I am just hoping that the final results will be satisfactory!

One more day!

I cant wait to get out of this house. I am beginning to talk to my dog too much.

Front view pre-op.

Another before photo.

Zucchini.

As you can see my nose looked like a zucchini.

Cast off today.

I have never been so nervous in my life.

Swelling up in college.

I love my nose so much. When I wake up the swelling is completely subsided, however as I go about my day, (I'm in school now by the way) it swells up all over and it's makes me feel really uncomfortable. I don't really care that it looks swollen. It just feels funny on my face. It swells up in the tip, and makes my nose look very similar to the way it was before. Im taking arnica pills. Can someone please explain to me how to tape my nose to help with the swelling? Does drinking water help with swelling?

Swelling is AWFUL

I recently started rowing crew. I was told to wait three weeks before aerobic exercise. This is probably far more strenuous than my doctor anticipated. Will working out like this affect my longterm healing? Is it better to not agravate the swelling in the longterm healing process or does it not matter. I can deal with looking like a blimp, but I don't want to mess things up. Conversely I don't want to give up rowing. I lost about 10 pounds of hard earned muscle during recovery, and I really missed working out and running. It's my only therapy/outlet.

Swelling causing droopy appearance. Unable to smile still hahaha.

Swelling is causing a little thickness in the bridge, the tip is very rounded and the columnella is rock hard. I hope it all comes together when the colder months hit. I have a very square shaped head, so the swelling at the tip is making it appear slightly curved from the side. Overall an improvement for now but I want it to be straight! Again I am exacerbating the swelling every day with crew practice, so I am a bit of a glutton for punishment here. I'm bad at taking selfies. I can't smile because of the rhino, so im stuck with these strange grimaces when I try to do so. Instead here's a picture of me looking really pissed off.

Ive stopped Rowing

I need to give myself some time to heal. I need to see it not be swollen. I'm beginning to get nervous.

Gradually

I just cut off a little piece of stitching that somehow recently started hanging out of my nose. At about a month out it's a reminder of how little time its been. Even the stitches have not full dissolved. The swelling in the tip is extremely stubborn. On some days it looks as if I never had surgery at all. I am pretty disappointed, but I remember being happy at one point, so I know, or at least hope, that I can attribute any negative feelings to tip swelling. Some days I am in love with it. Others I am in pain and feel ridiculous. College is not the ideal environment to adapt to such a rapid change. I have a new face. I have not yet gotten used to it. I have not tested its limits. But I have no time to think about it with classes and people and events all around me. Perhaps that is for the better. I am really wishing I had given myself a little more time before diving into SUCH a social environment. I'm waiting for the colder months. I hope the cold air will reduce my swelling. My collumnella is extremely droopy. I think it appears that way because it is so inflated. But I cannot be sure. Does anyone know if that is a possibility? Anyways, trying not to freak out about it. I'm only about 5, 6 weeks out. Hope you are all doing well!

How are you and your nose doing? Im sure we would all love to see an update :)
What surgeon did you end up going with? I am currently looking at Dr. Gallico, but I'm unsure.
Who was the surgeon you ended up going with? I'm currently looking into Dr. Gallico now.
If you feel you might be disappointed with the results, keeping yourself busy is paramount to keep you from dwelling on the negatives. The feeling of being unhappy with your results after a drastic surgery and the thought of having to do it all again is BRUTAL. But C'est la vie! My tip as well as the columella is looking droopy as well, but my surgeon said it is the excess bone and cartilage that was not taken off that makes my nose look top-heavy and Romanesque as opposed to the ski-slope shape. So it is not entirely impossible to say your swollen inflated nose could be causing a similar appearance to mine. Usually though the tip lowers as you heal, so this might be a potential problem. I have to wait at least 6 months to address my issue. :( FML
Yes we are outnumbered by the ladies here LOL...but I like that ;)...about your swelling and coming from someone like me who is post op 9 months....it takes a while for swelling to go down. The doctors or this site never really prepare us enough for reality. We hope it will go away faster but in a way you don't want it to. You need swelling in certain areas to calcify so that your nose doesn't collapse. In the long run you will appreciate it. Just last week my wife said to me...'wow Mike..your nose is still getting smaller and looking great'. No need for you to worry now..you are still in the early healing stages. PS I didn't have my normal smile back for a WHOLE 7 WEEKS!! That was hell for me since I'm known for my smile and when I don't I look 'pissed'...like you said is happening to you LOL...the muscles need to regenerate and you will look like yourself eventually but better since your nose was done.
The bridge on your sep. 13 picture is looking great. A tad swollen but nice and straight with no bumps or lumps. Your tip however is looking really swollen and I think it's because of the intensity of the physical activity you are involved in. That has been the case with me as well. When I start lifting weights or running, the inside of my nostrils and tip get really swollen. I have decided to take it easy for a few months. It's been hard. Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.
Hi! Just got Rhinoplasty done in Worcester- My surgeon was great and I am 11 days post op today and loving my results! Still swollen and uncomfortable. I think the worst part was when the DR took the packing out of my nose, that was sooo painful! Best of luck to you at brown, I grew up in Providence- you have to try the buffalo chicken pizza from Antonios on thayer!
I had my rhinoplasty on the 1st of july and I am displeased with the results since there is still slight bump there. Btw I'm also a dude. I would also like to see your results.
I would love to see a picture of your nose after surgery! Of course swelling after your surgery is normal... Especially with exercise it will balloon! Call your surgeon and ask if he thinks its healthy for your nose to exercise so vigorously. I have no idea what I'll do after my surgery I'll be craving the gym! :)
You were already very attractive to begin with, so I am sure this is the icing on the cake for you! Sounds as though all went well and you are now on the road to recovery. Your swelling may come and go, and all I hear about the swelling is that it is just a waiting game : / The best thing would be to avoid things that trigger swelling.... super salty food, exercise for an extended period of time (though if that is what you love doing, don't sacrifice it), and getting plenty of sleep. The colder months are coming soon and that will help with it, as well :) Good luck to you!
I am trying my best!
Hi - nice to see a male here! My surgeon, who has done a huge amount of rhinoplasties, said that he has personally seen no real benefit from arnica and bromelain (they have also never been scientifically proven to show results). I think arnica is more for bruising too. He suggested eating as much fresh pineapple as possible for the swelling (keeping in mind it is very acidic and can give you a tummy ache/sore mouth). Other than that, sleeping upright i suppose and no salt and no alcohol. Keep as healthy as possible, lots of fresh and healthy foods - not sure what food arrangements are like in college but when there's a will there's a way! Good luck with it all!
Thanks!
Dude...where's the pic? Lol... Lets see for swelling they say to sleep with your head elevated, don't go heavy on salt...stay away from processed crap, no al-co-hol, and I think I heard something about eating pineapple is good. That's all I got. :)
Waiting for the swelling to go down! most days it looks the same. Wishing I took some pictures right after the cast was removed when there was no swelling.
I'm sure it will great! I'm 49 and I'm getting mine done in 3 weeks...so yeah pay no attention to the people that don't matter. Can't wait for the updated picture!
What a sweet guy you are. I had mine done August 7th and am elated. I'm 49 and I wish I had done it sooner. :) It's funny how we 'believe' we are supposed to keep what we are born with but it just isn't so. That is a story we tell ourselves in our minds. Do not feel guilty. This is YOUR face, nose, body and you will love it. Did you get stitches out yet? I got mine out on Day 5. The cast is coming off today and DON"T panic!! It will be swollen. My doctor didn't use a cast on me. Just tape.....it does hold back the swelling but once it's taken off the swelling moves around a bit. Here is some 'health advice'.... Take ARNICA, 3 times a day (you can get the homeopathic little pills). Also STOP TAKING DAIRY. No cheese, no milk, yogurt, etc. As I'm vegan, they said I healed very fast and had hardly any mucous in my nose....I could breathe really well. Dairy slows down the healing in your Ears, Nose and Throat canals and keeps bacteria in there. Can't wait to see the cast-off pictures!! (you will feel betteronce you're out of the house too! I was getting big time cabin-fever) Your mom would be proud of you to go through all of this on your own! :) K.
Thank you so much. You are so kind. I am so in love with my results! They look so natural. I have been avoiding people I know though. That will be the final step in my recovery haha. I'm not ready to deal with the questions. Do you by any chance know where I can purchase Arnica reliably? GNC? Walgreens didn't have it :(.
Do you have any 'health food' stores nearby? GNC may have...can you call them first? So glad you're happy! Be sure to drop the dairy! (the good thing about that too is you get clear skin - try it for 7 days and let me know!).
I am sure you will love it! From what I have read, some people adjust quickly and love it immediately and others need some time to process the new look. I was a processor myself and now 4 weeks later I am very happy! :) I can't wait to hear how it goes! Good Luck!!
Thank you so much. I am definitely beginning to accept it and love it!
I am so sorry! OK, let me try again... I feel like getting a nose job is like getting rid of an old car. You're used to seeing it every day, you've been through a lot together. Getting rid of it is emotional, like someone taking away your safety blanket. I can't wait to see your results. Good luck!
I think I agree with you. At first I was sad. I liked my honda but I'm looking forward to taking the cover off of my new BMW. Thank you so much! I'm excited. Best of luck to you too!