Nose woes

There was a time when I cared nothing for my...

There was a time when I cared nothing for my appearance, disheveled, unkempt, dirty or whatever, and I never received any negative remarks for it.Then Puberty hit I suppose. My nose kept growing, and then I broke it on a porch railing. The shape of my nose took a full 180, turning from ski slope to arching nightmare. My friends teased me about it all throughout middle school, calling me jew nose, beak etc. I took it in stride for the most part, but eventually I suppose I allowed it to get to me. My self confidence began to dissipate, and like many on here who have written reviews, there is not a single thing I do that is not with the conscientious fear of those people who might say the wrong hurtful thing at any given moment. It makes me limit myself in a variety of ways, and I hate that.

Around Freshman year I told myself I had had enough. I asked my mother if I could get a rhinoplasty. She said no; that I should wait until I was finished growing, and furthermore, that she would only let me go through with it if I did well in school.
Today I am eighteen, and heading to Brown in the Fall of 2013. I have had two consultations with Dr. Gallico in Boston MA, and am ready to schedule a surgery for June or late May. I haven't decided yet. Above are my consultation images.As it is now is on the far left, and then two projections, one straight, one slightly curved.

While I recognize the vast improvement, I am just curious as to whether or not the tip on the projections is too long from the surface of my face, and if It is, if there is any way to remedy that for the better. What do you guys think?
So I have a few questions for my surgeon, and I will be updating quite frequently as the time between now and my surgery dwindles. I am so very excited, and I feel much better about the future knowing that I can go through my day with a little more confidence.

I'm definitely going to get a few more...

I'm definitely going to get a few more consultations from other surgeons before I make my final decision! I mean it's my face so I want to be as cautious as possible. It feels like one of the biggest decisions I'll ever make! It's really a drag paying for all of the consultations though haha. Anyways I have another consultation scheduled for this upcoming friday. Should be fun!

Haha It's really funny being one of the only guys...

Haha It's really funny being one of the only guys on this website. It's definitely given me an interesting perspective. I enjoy reading everyone's reviews though, we're like a little community. It's really great. Reading what everyone has to say serves as an everyday reminder for what's in my own future, and I think that's really valuable. Anyways! My second consultation went extremely well. I really liked the doctor. He did three dimensional imaging which was so much more helpful than the projections I posted above. He also discussed a wider range of possibilities which was really reassuring in comparison to the measly "two options or the highway" mandate that I was given at my first consultation (pictured above). The projections at the second consultation even appeared more natural. The nose wasn't so long, and the tip was slightly elevated. This leads me to believe that the first doctor was trying to do as little as possible for the most amount of money, but C'est la vie. I've scheduled surgery for june 3rd and I can't wait. I've become so lighthearted about this whole thing; almost goofy. It's really kind of a funny thing to accept your vanities and pursue a course to satisfy them. I find that sometimes it's nearly impossible for me to not laugh at myself. I'm chopping off a piece of my face, many of you are doing the same, and we're paying some guy thousands of dollars to do it. Do you ever think of it that way? It's fairly unconventional for a young man to go to such drastic lengths to change his appearance, let alone document it. But whatever. It is funny, it's a tad bit humiliating, but through it all, I'm learning more and more every day to be able to laugh at myself, and that alone is worth the experience.

I just had the surgery!

I had surgery today. I got there at about 11:00 AM and waited for about an hour before they admitted me. After I was all changed and everything, they brought me to anesthesia and I waited there in a room alone for about an hour and a half. That was like some bizarre form of torture. It allowed all of my doubts to just gnaw at me. But I have had months to think about this. It was what I wanted. I did it. When I woke up I was very dizzy. They took me to a room to recover and I threw up a little. After that when everyone was gone I was sitting there with my cast on and I was just overwhelmed with regret and sadness. I hadn't even seen the result or anything, but I just go super emotional about it. Has anyone else felt this way after surgery? There is packing in my nose right now. Nothing hurts, though things are a bit unpleasant. Here I am 18 years old. Almost a man, and all I can say is I really need my mom right now. She had to work and is two states away. Can anyone give me a little comfort/ share their experience with me? I also posted a picture of pre op. I got my bump shaved and my tip raised and refined.

There's packing in my nose so i have to breathe through my mouth

My mouth is so so so dry and drinking water only solves the problem for small increments of time. Does anyone have any advice?

Front View

Front View

Forgive the topless picture, I thought I couldn't get a shirt on over my head. I soon figured out a method.

Itchy!

I have always been quick to recover from illness, and it seems like the same applies to my recent surgery. I'm not really swollen except for the area between my eyebrows, and my nose rather than hurting is now starting to itch. I have been told this is a good sign on the road to recovery? I feel as though I'm ready to take the cast off now! Things couldn't be going better. I am just hoping that the final results will be satisfactory!

One more day!

I cant wait to get out of this house. I am beginning to talk to my dog too much.

Front view pre-op.

Another before photo.

Zucchini.

As you can see my nose looked like a zucchini.

Cast off today.

I have never been so nervous in my life.

Swelling up in college.

I love my nose so much. When I wake up the swelling is completely subsided, however as I go about my day, (I'm in school now by the way) it swells up all over and it's makes me feel really uncomfortable. I don't really care that it looks swollen. It just feels funny on my face. It swells up in the tip, and makes my nose look very similar to the way it was before. Im taking arnica pills. Can someone please explain to me how to tape my nose to help with the swelling? Does drinking water help with swelling?

Swelling is AWFUL

I recently started rowing crew. I was told to wait three weeks before aerobic exercise. This is probably far more strenuous than my doctor anticipated. Will working out like this affect my longterm healing? Is it better to not agravate the swelling in the longterm healing process or does it not matter. I can deal with looking like a blimp, but I don't want to mess things up. Conversely I don't want to give up rowing. I lost about 10 pounds of hard earned muscle during recovery, and I really missed working out and running. It's my only therapy/outlet.

Swelling causing droopy appearance. Unable to smile still hahaha.

Swelling is causing a little thickness in the bridge, the tip is very rounded and the columnella is rock hard. I hope it all comes together when the colder months hit. I have a very square shaped head, so the swelling at the tip is making it appear slightly curved from the side. Overall an improvement for now but I want it to be straight! Again I am exacerbating the swelling every day with crew practice, so I am a bit of a glutton for punishment here. I'm bad at taking selfies. I can't smile because of the rhino, so im stuck with these strange grimaces when I try to do so. Instead here's a picture of me looking really pissed off.

Ive stopped Rowing

I need to give myself some time to heal. I need to see it not be swollen. I'm beginning to get nervous.

Gradually

I just cut off a little piece of stitching that somehow recently started hanging out of my nose. At about a month out it's a reminder of how little time its been. Even the stitches have not full dissolved. The swelling in the tip is extremely stubborn. On some days it looks as if I never had surgery at all. I am pretty disappointed, but I remember being happy at one point, so I know, or at least hope, that I can attribute any negative feelings to tip swelling. Some days I am in love with it. Others I am in pain and feel ridiculous. College is not the ideal environment to adapt to such a rapid change. I have a new face. I have not yet gotten used to it. I have not tested its limits. But I have no time to think about it with classes and people and events all around me. Perhaps that is for the better. I am really wishing I had given myself a little more time before diving into SUCH a social environment. I'm waiting for the colder months. I hope the cold air will reduce my swelling. My collumnella is extremely droopy. I think it appears that way because it is so inflated. But I cannot be sure. Does anyone know if that is a possibility? Anyways, trying not to freak out about it. I'm only about 5, 6 weeks out. Hope you are all doing well!

Very Pleased, but slightly concerned. Should I remain patient or consider a revision.

Hello everyone!
It's been quite a while since I've made an update. I wanted to give it some time to settle and get used to my new nose. I am overall very pleased with my new nose. However about eight months out, it is still quite temperamental. When I wake up it's swollen. When I lift weights, it swells. When I yell, it swells. When it gets hot, it swells. I haven't really allowed it to just heal without physically exerting myself causing it to swell back up. My surgeon said I have pretty thick skin, and my profile is straight, but I am concerned with the tip of my nose at this stage. Extensive tip work was done and I know that it is the tip that can take the longest to heal. I have not been in touch with my doctor since the surgery due to my being busy in college. To the touch, the tip of my nose feels like its filled with fluid, and the columnella is still rock hard. Could the swelling be causing this slightly droopy appearance? What are your opinions?

additional photo

Here is a video for better context. Sorry for the quality.

Oooops wrong video sorry guys. Its finals week.

Nose Woes

Meeting with my doctor in about a month. I will broach the topic of a revision, any ideas on how to do this? I feel as if it will be a delicate matter because:
1. I do not want to offend him
2. I don't want to pay full price for the revision
Advice much appreciated thanks guys.

Looking to get a revision

I made a morph of, from memory, roughly what my nose was supposed to look like. Its a poor morph but you get the idea I think. I really want to have my revision with Dr.Eric M. Joseph in New Jersey. Anyone have anything to offer about him? I would be looking to get the revision done around February. In the meantime I have a meeting with my primary surgeon on July 17. I look forward to speaking with him.

3/4 angle morph of the change Im looking to make with a revision

Just another morph to Illustrate the change I was talking about.

The revision looks really good on you yo no homo go for it
I work with models and think you could totally model. Most male models I know do not have tiny little ski slope noses - that look is out and ethnic noses are considered sexy as long as they are in proportion. Maybe you grew up in an area where most of the population had more northern European traits and that's why they brainwashed you into thinking something was wrong with you. Anyway I think you look great as is.
I think a bit of a nose droop on a male looks good actually
I really honestly agree with you 100%. Looking back at that morph I made, the morph looks too small and feminine for my big mug. Certainly the better option lies somewhere in the middle of those two, I'm sure. But as it is now, the droop is a little too severe and it didn't change at all from what it was pre-op and that was my sole motivation in going through with the procedure in the first place. I never really cared about the bump. I feel like I wasted my time and money, and I want to follow up to get what I wanted.
yup lifting the tip feminizes a nose. Personally I think you look fantastic. I think your nose now is a great improvement over your original profile. Though I have to say I'm surprised you got teased for your nose! Guys can have all sorts of wonky noses and get away with it. I love a strong nose on a man and even some women depending on their features. You could get a columellar strut graft but I just had mine removed because it was extremely uncomfortable and will make your tip very stiff. I've also read that sutures could be sufficient to correct the droopiness.
Also, I laughed at your description about your nose swelling. I can so relate. That was the worst!!! It lasted about 4 months for me and made me absolutely miserable.
Haha I know. Huge mistake having my op like one week before I went to college.
Thanks for posting your updates. I really appreciate your honesty detailing both the good and the bad. I am very much into my fitness and was worried about how my nose might react with strenuous exercise. I completely understand your concerns and at this point in time, nearly a year after your procedure one should hope that the swelling would have gone down and this would be your final result. Personally, I think you look great- you actually remind me of a friend of mine who is very good-looking! Wishing you good luck with any revision you may choose to proceed with.
You're really nice to say that. Many thanks, and from the bottom of my heart good luck to you as well!
I do see what you are talking about. This many months post-op, I think it's perfectly ok to bring up your concerns. He may have a better idea of what he did to your nose, and whether its residual swelling (different rates of healing for different people) or a close-to-final result. I just had my surgery, so still a long way to go healing-wise : ) Good luck!
Do not feel bad at all like you will be offending him. It should be his priority to hear you out and listen/ empathize with your concerns. I don't think you look bad at all, but this is about how it makes you feel. As long as you trust your surgeon to do revision, I would hope that he would be willing to revise it without a surgical fee. However, if your gut is telling you that you think your nose now was due to surgical error or lack of skill, at least consider consulting with other revision specialists. If you are feeling fluid and your tip is still rock hard, it would be wise to put off surgery for a while because it sounds (though I am no professional) like it is swelling, taking into consideration my own experience. I had nothing done to alter my tip, however the swelling was not totally gone until a little after a year post-op. So yes, you should remain patient, but no reason why you can't go on consults and get second opinions, if for nothing else then to weigh it against what your surgeon would plan to further do. Thick skin definitely takes longer to resolve swelling. But your nose is a definite improvement! You look really good! Hang in there :D
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I am just so nervous about going under the knife again with him, or anyone else.
I totally do not blame you. My nose job has made me miserable, but I don't want to end up even worse off. Hard to live with and hard to decide to fix! In the meantime, I know it;'s a matter of opinion, but you look attractive even with a nose you dislike. But I know the feeling.
Well, hey, first, you are an eloquent writer! I enjoyed your blog and, yes I do think of it as kinda crazy, someone is going to chop off part of my face. Like, Dexter or something. I am willingly going to lay down and have someone cut my nose and BONES apart OMG please I sometimes think it's too crazy to go through with. But then, I look in the mirror and think: this is not me. This is not who I am inside my soul and heart. I am beautiful inside- and not in a selfish way, just, I feel happy and lighthearted and I want to be free and enjoy life and not, as you put it "limit myself in so many ways" for fear of what someone may think of my looks because of my nose. I don't want to be judged unworthy based on my appearance, but mostly it is I who does that judging. So be it, but it's simply not going to change unless my nose does. So, I also have thick skin. I would feel concerned if at 8 months out, the swelling was still making me look like very little was changed. I didn't inspect your before photos but it looks like you have some improvement but not a drastic change. Perhaps you should lay off the working out and really focus on healing foods and nose massage, ice, arnica and still pineapple the hell out of it. Also consider asking your doc for some steroid injections in the nose, as I understand this can decrease swelling. Good luck!
That is exactly what I am doing. I'm going to schedule a follow up appointment and get his opinion as to where I'm heading.
Thanks for the update. Please share the progress. :)
How are you and your nose doing? Im sure we would all love to see an update :)
What surgeon did you end up going with? I am currently looking at Dr. Gallico, but I'm unsure.
I ended up going with Dr. Austen Jr., the head of facial reconstructive surgery at boston hospital
Who was the surgeon you ended up going with? I'm currently looking into Dr. Gallico now.
If you feel you might be disappointed with the results, keeping yourself busy is paramount to keep you from dwelling on the negatives. The feeling of being unhappy with your results after a drastic surgery and the thought of having to do it all again is BRUTAL. But C'est la vie! My tip as well as the columella is looking droopy as well, but my surgeon said it is the excess bone and cartilage that was not taken off that makes my nose look top-heavy and Romanesque as opposed to the ski-slope shape. So it is not entirely impossible to say your swollen inflated nose could be causing a similar appearance to mine. Usually though the tip lowers as you heal, so this might be a potential problem. I have to wait at least 6 months to address my issue. :( FML
Yes we are outnumbered by the ladies here LOL...but I like that ;)...about your swelling and coming from someone like me who is post op 9 months....it takes a while for swelling to go down. The doctors or this site never really prepare us enough for reality. We hope it will go away faster but in a way you don't want it to. You need swelling in certain areas to calcify so that your nose doesn't collapse. In the long run you will appreciate it. Just last week my wife said to me...'wow Mike..your nose is still getting smaller and looking great'. No need for you to worry now..you are still in the early healing stages. PS I didn't have my normal smile back for a WHOLE 7 WEEKS!! That was hell for me since I'm known for my smile and when I don't I look 'pissed'...like you said is happening to you LOL...the muscles need to regenerate and you will look like yourself eventually but better since your nose was done.
The bridge on your sep. 13 picture is looking great. A tad swollen but nice and straight with no bumps or lumps. Your tip however is looking really swollen and I think it's because of the intensity of the physical activity you are involved in. That has been the case with me as well. When I start lifting weights or running, the inside of my nostrils and tip get really swollen. I have decided to take it easy for a few months. It's been hard. Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.
Hi! Just got Rhinoplasty done in Worcester- My surgeon was great and I am 11 days post op today and loving my results! Still swollen and uncomfortable. I think the worst part was when the DR took the packing out of my nose, that was sooo painful! Best of luck to you at brown, I grew up in Providence- you have to try the buffalo chicken pizza from Antonios on thayer!
I had my rhinoplasty on the 1st of july and I am displeased with the results since there is still slight bump there. Btw I'm also a dude. I would also like to see your results.