rimary Rhinoplasty with Dr. in Beverly Hills - Beverly Hills, CA

I had a primary septo/rhinoplasty with Dr. Ghavami...

I had a primary septo/rhinoplasty with Dr. Ghavami and he RUINED my nose. I am so disgusted that I picked him to do my surgery. First, his bedside manner left much to be desired. He was rude and I felt rushed through my consultations. I know I should have followed my gut and taken that as a red flag, but I didn't and I'm paying for it. He was very overaggressive with my rhinoplasty and now I have alar retraction, notched nostrils, over rotated tip, asymmetries in my tip, my profile looks horrid, and I can't freaking breathe. I was a very attractive woman prior to my surgery and just wanted a little refinement in my tip and bridge, but he just totally ignored my wishes and did his own thing. I look like a totally different person and have been very depressed since my surgery which was three months ago. Also, the wait times are often more than an hour and the follow up is next to none. He told me to come back in six months after my one week follow up... SIX MONTHS?? Really??? He also insulted my ethnicity by telling me that I'm "lucky" that I have some Caucasian in me. Just a horrible experience all around. Ladies, please choose your surgeon wisely!!

2/18/2014 Update

Update:

I didn’t realize that I have two Realself accounts. I provided an updated on 1/6/2014 under my second account by mistake, which I have reposted here: Sorry for any confusion!!

1/6/2014 Update: My aesthetic concerns remain the same- uneven nostrils, apparent alar retraction, noticeable scars where he took my nostrils in, also now I have a hump on the bridge of my nose that has developed, and the tip of my nose is turned slightly to the left. Also, I cannot breathe properly due to nasal valve collapse. I went to see Dr. Ghavami in mid December to get a copy of my operative report and mentioned to him that I sought a second opinion regarding my concerns with my breathing and the aesthetics of my nose. I told him that I was informed that I now have nasal valve collapse. He chastised me for seeking another opinion and then asked me if I had this problem prior to my surgery. I told him that I DID NOT have this problem before. After I left the treatment room I waited in the waiting room for his nurse to give me a copy of my operative report. It wasn't until after I got home that I looked at my report and noticed that he listed "nasal valve collapse" as my "pre-operative diagnosis"!!! and for my post-operative diagnosis he listed "same". I have to constantly wear a nasal expander in my nose or breathe out of my mouth due to this. I have consulted with revision surgeons and have been told that this can be fixed, but that it will require grafts and is a complicated revision procedure. I am so incredibly disgusted with the results of my nose and at the fact that he added insult to injury and lied on my pre-operative report!!! Who does that?? The last five months have been a nightmare and I am just praying that I can find the RIGHT doctor to fix this so I can get my life back. Lastly, one of the revision surgeons I consulted with told me that the hump on the bridge of my nose will probably start to look worse as the swelling around it continues to subside. She suggested that I may want to use filler (juvederm) to fill it in so that I can get through the next few months until I'm healed enough to get a revision.

2/18/2014 Third Update:

Since my 1/6/2014 post above, I have consulted with about 5 revision surgeons (facial plastic surgeons/ENTs), as I am currently a little over six months out since my surgery in August 2013. This whole process has been extremely difficult for me both mentally and physically. Due to the fact that I now have nasal valve collapse I have to wear an expander in my nose (that I bought from CVS) throughout the day and when I sleep. I have tried nasal sprays such as nasonex, but it actually made my breathing worse, so I stopped taking it. Also, it is difficult for me to workout because my breathing is so poor and I am not naturally a mouth breather. I should note that I did not have significant breathing challenges prior to this surgery. At least three of the revision surgeons that I visited have pointed out that my bridge was narrowed too much and too much cartilage was apparently removed from my nose (based on my operative report and subsequent complications- i.e. valve collapse). I am looking to get a revision around June/July of this year, as I will be 10-12 months out by then. I am trying to move on emotionally from this nightmare and so it is hard for me to relive it by writing about it, but I do want to share what I have learned and what I wish I knew prior to having this surgery:

1.There is a HUGE difference between a general plastic surgeon and a facial plastic surgeon/ENT- “Doctor” Ghavami (Ghavami) is a general plastic surgeon, not a facial plastic surgeon/ENT. He did not respect the integrity, structure, and function of my nose. That is not to say that every facial plastic surgeon/ENT does “good work”, but in my case the difference mattered because I cannot breathe without the use of an assistive device. You want someone who will respect the function of your nose in addition to giving you the aesthetic look you desire!

2.Choose a surgeon who listens to you and doesn’t have a God complex- From day one, Ghavami didn’t listen to me. In fact, during my first consultation he said that he could sketch what my nose would look like, but that he didn’t have time. During my follow up consults after my surgery, I felt rushed and he was flat out rude. He made inappropriate comments about me looking up information on the internet (told me that it wasn’t “helpful”) and just didn’t listen to what I wanted and what my concerns were. Also, he had an excuse for everything. When I told him that my breathing was poor he shrugged it off as swelling (six months later, I still cannot breathe and the revision surgeons have confirmed that I have valve (internal and external) collapse). He made the comment that my nose was “wide and flat” (which it most certainly was not) on the day of my surgery, subsequently he was over aggressive and tried to morph my nose into something that it wasn’t created to be… now, I’m left picking up the pieces and trying to get my life back. I actually blame myself for not walking out of the door after my first consult with him.

3.Choose a surgeon who will give you a solid idea of what your nose will look like and what they are going to do- Again, he didn’t sketch what my nose will look like and his office doesn’t do any digital imaging. I know not all doctors use digital imaging, but going forward, I’m not letting anyone touch my nose unless they can give me a solid idea of what it will look like. You want to be on the same page as your doctor pre-op.

4.A doctor may create a problem that is too complicated for him/her to fix- In my case Ghavami said that he would revise my nose, but even if I wanted him to fix it, which I don’t, I am not confident that he has the skills to do so… isn’t he the reason why I need a revision and can’t breathe in the first place??

5.If you don’t do your research you may end up paying more in the long run- So 14k later I am definitely going to have to have a revision, which is going to be another 14k+… I know that there can be complications and risks to every surgery, but if you do your homework upfront and take all these things into consideration, you may maximize the possibility of a favorable outcome.

This is just my experience and unfortunately it has been a bad one. I’m sure there are some people who have had good experiences with him… unfortunately, I wasn’t one of them.
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

I'm sorry for your horrid experience. And $14k, why so much?
How is your nose so far?
One more thing after visiting my skilled surgeon here in Washington he gave me his blessing to go with Dr ghavami stating Im in very good hands He is one of the best. To be so renouned speaks volumes.
I am letting everyone know I am still very happy to be going to Dr Ghavami this May for my primary rhinoplasty. I am very pleased with the results he has given his patients on his site as well as on real self. He does not hide the frontal view of the nose which for me is extremely important! Take a peek around different drs sites and you will see not many give you a frontal view. Its profile only or maybe a 3 quarter view on some. He has successfully gave many ethnic people beautiful noses including very hard middle eastern as well as african american noses. A lot of Drs will turn such patients away but Ghavamis skilled hands have took on the task and gave 1000s of people a beautiful functional nose. I am well aware no Dr is perfect and there is a chance of a revision but I feel by going with Dr Ghavami I am limiting the risk to slim and non. With a revision rate of around 5-10% max for a surgeon is extremely good! If for some (slim) chance you need a slight revision he never charges for his work of revision only some small room anesthesia fees. He wouldnt be able to have a successful business in beverly hills 90210 if he was not doing extremely well. I know celebrities, news casters as well as politicians have traveled from all over to seek his expert skilled hands. I have talked to Ghavami and his friendly staff many times through the beginning of my journey and they have been more than helpful on any questions. Ghavami even took out 45 min between a already jam packed surgery schedule to talk to me for the 3rd time about my future rhinoplasty! Its service and attentiveness like this that makes me confident he takes his time with every individual to give them an incredible result! One thing to keep in mind while not discrediting the patient who posted above is real self is a place where anyone can post! There are new competitors lerking everywhere and will do anything to bring down an extremely talked in the media Dr same as people do with celebrities. Please keep this in mind. Remember ENT Drs are not skilled cosmetic surgeons only functional so do not visit this kind of Dr for a cosmetic surgery or let them talk you into one! They are ear nose and throat Drs and you could have a GOOD possibility of needing a revision and you wont want to REVISIT them to do so. You will end up spending way more in the long run! Best of luck to everyone I will be posting my journey before and after pics on my profile here stay tooned! =
Hi, Flowerlover - I, too, am considering Dr. Ghavami for a rhinoplasty (revision). Being that you seemed quite confident in his abilities, I am interested in knowing how your surgery went, and how your results are thus far. It would be great to hear from you ... with pics please! :)
Monitoring website? Every doctor has good and bad results its the fact. No one is exempt from revision patients no matter how good the doctor is. So therefore all doctors will have good and bad reviews its a matter of a doctor allowing those bad reviews to stay up just like the good review.
FB2013, I hope that you are not affiliated with a surgeon. Please read my comment again carefully. I applaud the reviewer and this is why I commented in the first. This past 2 days is the first time I have ever commented and now realize why I haven't before. If my intention was to remove a bad comment, I wouldn't comment at all. I think this reviews raised important issues that need to be addressed objectively (appropriate and fair phto representation of a surgeon's work, ENT vs other training, revision policies, healing phases etc.) PATIENT SATISFACTION is of our utmost importance and along with my results, is why I am fortunate to be successful and busy with a roster of thousands of patients behind me from all over the world. All surgeons have a certain revision rate. The job of prospective patients is to do their research and minimize the risks of this by going to a qualified surgeon who they have researched and looked at their work. In my comment I stated that I WOULD BE THE FIRST (no deflection) to point out and diagnose if a revision was needed (and I have done this as early as 3 months but actual intervention should be later) and as she stated, I did. It's just that the reviewer seems to not trust my plan even though it is likely very similar to the ENTs she saw. I encourage her to still come in and see me throughout her healing as most patients do, so that if a revision is needed we can provide her with one. This is our policy and the policy of every ethical surgeon out there. No one wants dissatisfied patients out there. Functional or otherwise. I have fixed the worst of septums, turbinates, removed polyps etc. Anyone performing rhinoplasty should be fully adept at revision his or other surgeon's work. If you read every word of my original comment, you will see that my intent was to educate the public on ENT vs Plast Surg training because the original poster stated that her dissatisfaction and breathing difficulty was due to the fact that a Non-ENT trained surgeon did her rhinoplasty. I have dedicated my entire career to rhinoplasty and this is simply false. his is the last comment I will make on this.FB2013 and all the others here. As you can see on my profile, I am one of the most veteran surgeons on RealSelf and rarely ever have time or interest to check my profile etc. In all the years I have been on RealSelf, I only have 41 reviews because I believe in honesty and not deception. And yes, when caring patients of mine point something out to me or my staff, we look because there are malicious competing surgeons who may not be as busy r are insecure who may have non-patients write reviews, comments etc. We all know that this unfortunately exists. This orogonal reviews may indeed be a patient and if she is, I cannot comment on anything other than what I did and encourage her to stick with her surgeon. Likely the treatment recommendations will be similar among qualified nose specialists. I wish you all good luck. Dr Ghavami
Thank you Dr. Ghavami for taking the time out of your busy schedule to try to clearify things and educate us all a little better much appreciated. Regardless if this is your patient or not the fact that you stepped up and are trying to do the right thing speaks volumes! I don't think there is one person on here that has looked at your work and can say it's nothing less than "exceptional" No surgon is perfect nor is the world we live in. Thanks again for shedding some light on the matter.
Dr. Ghavami, your response shows the sincerity and not the abuse for this poster. That's something that is greatly respected by patients like myself who had bad experience with primary surgery. That said I am not affiliated with any doctor’s office and frankly have no connections to any. I am just an educated patient who has had a misfortune to get a bad rhinoplasty. That said; I hope the person that posted here considers seeing you again if nothing else at least let you evaluate the outcome and possibly go over a revision plan. However I am sure you understand that some patients will lose trust in their surgeon if there are way too many problems. I have lost trust in my surgeon and I am pretty sure I am not alone. As a surgeon I am sure you understand that an individual comes to you looking for improvement and that's what they expect but when they come out of the surgery looking worse that is not just disappointing but also very disheartening and affects the patient’s personal life. That said I hope that this poster finds a surgeon who can fix this outcome or sees you back for evaluation and allows you to fix it. I hope that you don't hold it against her for posting her review as its not only helpful to people looking for a revision surgeon but also allows her to educate everyone on this board.
We all appreciate you taking time to help us through this difficult process- I am a BIG fan of your work and hope that one day I can be a success story of yours. Please keep updating your website with current pt pictures, with all different types of noses (as you have been doing) and this will be the best way for potential pts to determine if you can deliver what they would like. If there are pts that have legitimate concerns I hope that you are able to address their concerns and fix whatever did not go the way it was planned. Sending you lots of good energy.
My apologies for a long-winded reply. However, I would like to comment on this case as it is always disappointing for surgeon and patient when results may not come out as intended. Although the photos are strangely cropped and no other views are shown, I think this review warrants some comments. I will make general comments that pertain to any rhinoplasty result at 3 months. Without seeing the results in multiple views, it is hard to say if this is indeed a patient of mine and how the nose truly looks on this patient's face. Cosmetically, that is what matters. As for function, that cannot be seen without an internal exam. However, this will hopefully educate all readers. This first point I will address is that 3 months post surgery is way too early to evaluate fully any rhinoplasty result, functional and/or cosmetic. However, I encourage and request all my patients, particularly those that feel some issues may exist, to come in often. If a patient decides to abandon her surgeon and the trust she originally had in him/her only partially into the healing phase, and cancel appointments and/or decide to not be seen, then the surgeon's hands are tied. Continual evaluation and examination is the hallmark of proper post-operative care. Without it, the doctor patient relationship fails. Seeing 5 ENT/"Nose specialists" who may have added fuel to a very delicate healing phase (both psychologically and anatomically) when it is 3 months post op, may not be in the best interest of any patient. If I were that patient, I would just get more angered. What I say when I see patients coming in this early from another surgeon? I say, " It is still too soon to tell definitively what needs to be done. You should follow up with your surgeon and I can re-evaluate you later for a second opinion once we know what may need to be done.” This is both ethical and courteous since it is too soon to intervene anyway, even if the patient were to choose me over her original surgeon. If I feel a patient of mine might need a revision, I do NOT beat around the bush. I tell them. I increase the frequency of visits, phone calls, whatever needs to be done. I have revised other surgeons’ rhinoplasty results from around the world, some of which have been operated on numerous times. Therefore, an experienced rhinoplasty specialist such as myself would certainly be able to revise his own work, and perhaps more accurately. Lastly, it is unfortunate that my colleagues (ENTs) still fall back on “oh he is a general plastic surgeon” phrase. THIS is arrogance at its pinnacle, and its terminology is condescending and insulting. The revisions I have had to perform have come both from ENT trained surgeons and plastic surgery trained surgeons from around the world. I am an executive board member of the rhinoplasty socitey (www.rhinoplastysociety.org) which is made up of rhinoplasty specialists that are both ENT and Plastic Surgery trained. We share ideas, and have collegial discussions on rhinoplasty topics. I have served on expert rhinoplasty panels which are made up of both ENT and Plastic Surgery trained colleagues. What really matters is the level of training, the innate talent, level of knowledge, operative instincts to modify the treatment plan as needed with confidence, and the volume of rhinoplasty performed. In my opinion, at least 100 to 150 or more rhinoplasties should be performed by a “specialist” per year. In addition, continually being invited by colleagues around the world to lecture, do live surgery, etc on rhinoplasty is also a strong indicator. This well researched patient likely came to me because of these qualifications, but somehow lost trust 3 months into her treatment. The reasons for this are as of yet unknown but I am hopeful that as the large majority of the thousands of patients I have operated on have, that she continues to come in for evaluation and further care, so that a well informed decision can be made when the time is right for a revision, if need be. Warmest Regards, Dr Ghavami
I have yet to meet an ENT that throws another doctor/surgeon under the bus. They all are very "politically correct" If an ENT pointing out issues with a patients nose that is not throwing them under the bus or talking badly about that surgeon. They have to be honest with a patient in order to give them reasonable expectations for the future surgery. At 3 months post op a surgeon should be able to tell deformities especially having to do with nose functions. A collapsed valve is something that is visible to an ENT fairly easily. By 3 months a good portion of the swelling is gone and imperfections will start showing up if there are any. I have seen surgeons for revision at 3 months and although they didn't want to operate on me this early they all were able to point out issues at 3 months post op. It doesn't matter how good a doctor is the revision rate in the rhinoplasty surgery is around 20% no matter what doctors will tell you its that high. Its all over their write ups and medical journals. Read medical journals and you will find out what each graft does to your nose, how long the actual swelling subsides and how much at what point in time, what the revision rate is, what is actually done to your nose. Its important everyone educates themselves before jumping into this surgery which is the most unpredictable plastic surgery. In good hands the revision rate is lower but the over all is much higher than what a surgeon will tell you. Go into a consultation armed with all the medical terms and information, educate yourself, and do a deep dive research.
Fb2013 I will have to agree... The revision rate is allot higher than what most think. Rhinoplasty is a very complex surgery not to be taken lightly as I'am now finding out and even the best surgeons can have unpleasing results sometimes.
The key is to follow the surgeon you like and make sure he is the right one for you. Talk to the patients the doctor didn't provide you with. If that doctor has girls in his office that had nose done, talk to them or at least try to find out if you can. Remember a surgeon will only show you his best results and will only let you speak to his happy patients. Its completely up to you to find his good and bad results and speak to those patients. You will never find a surgeon with 100% perfect rating and if you do run that just means he paid marketing company and attorneys to remove bad reviews and fake good once. I do not even consider reviews on this website with only one post. Picture or no picture it can be done by anyone including surgeon's teams. I have learned a hard way. Have I known than what I know now I would have handled my primary in a completely different way. And most likely I would not have had it done by the surgeon I did. I might not have even gotten it done yet. My broken nose was not as bad as what my original rhinoplasty surgeon gave me. I sympathize with anyone who has outcomes like this poster as I know how it feels. At least a broken nose I didn't pay for and it was not that bad. ;)
Revision rates at meetings I speak at have been listed anywhere from 10 to 30% by some of the most experienced veteran surgeons. Style is also important. Some do a more cookie cutter nose shape while others do not. Before after pics/videos and expert level, experience quality and volume will minimize revision rates and all rhinoplasty specialists I know and lecture with at meetings have the same revision policies. We all want everyone to get the best results possible. I wish you all good luck. This is exhausting so you won't be hearing from me for a while. I feel like I entered a sacred ground. I simply don't have the time to devote to all this as you can see by how few answers I have questions. I will try to do better in at least answering questions and posting more pictures. Thank you everyone. Be smart and use your instincts and common sense. There is a lot of fake stuff (staff posts, competitor trolls, etc. It is sad. I am just learning this all. I feel for all of you in your confudion in finding medical professionals in any category. When in doubt, go old school, and meet your surgeon in person for a consultation and decide after that. The medical boards, societies etc. are concerned and on top of it. I hope that this all changes so that patients experience honesty in their research. Dr Ghavami
haha you got that right. Many scared patients and many bad doctors in this industry. Unfortunately there are way too many people who just go with a surgeon they do no research on. As much as I was opposed to a surgeon responding to one of these posts I find yours genuine and very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to write to us as I am sure you are very busy and this is not a well spent time.
I find this to be fishy. Two accounts? Let's see some more pictures.
What's so fishy about this review? You don't like the negative? Look at her pictures you cannot make that up. I have seen terrible results like this one done by this doctor. How quick are you to discredit this poster. It's hard to post results like this one on the web. You should be thanking this poster not berating her.
Hmm just looked at your account. Just one post and no story and no pictures. Sounds fishy to me,
I don't mind reading the negative this is why I'm on this site to begin with. I've read and seen it all on here and it just seems strange to say the least.
It doesn't seem strange at all. You seem fishy though. If you have been here since 2012 where are your posts? You only made one on this thread. I find it fishy if you ask me.
Fb2013 can you tell me who else have you seen with bad results from Dr. Ghavami?
I cannot tell you names that would be in appropriate for me to do. But I in courage you to search MMH and google. I have looked into this surgeon myself. Lots of marketing, removal of bad reviews, and I have seen results simulator to this one. Granted any surgeon can have bad results but it's what you feel is acceptable to you. Search the court house in his country as well. Research will bring you to the unhappy patients who may be willing to share their pictures with you.
Sorry county. Phone has its own spelling.
You are ridic! WHY the hell would this kind poster take the time to make so many elaborate fake pics and review- what would be the motivation? However your motivations are questionable- how do we know that you arent a Dr. Ghavami minion on here trying to make him look better. Rightone13 was very brave and very KIND to tell us about her negative experience so that we can make wiser decision- this is a very thoughtful person who went out of her comfort zone to possibly protect someone else (and we are all strangers so for her to have the kindness to help random strangers speaks volumes of the kindness she possess) having to god forbid go through this situation with this Dr. So you shuta your face!