DEFORMED and DISAPPOINTED voluma, Berkley, MI

May 12,2001491 for slightly noticeable dark...

May 12,2001491 for slightly noticeable dark circles.

RESULTS: black eyes, worse then before, have to wear make up ALL THE TIME!!!!! I wish I could just wake up from this nightmare!!!

PERFORMED: By a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with 4.5 out of 5 star reviews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP!!!!! Trying to go about this the legal avenue since its ruined my confidence and burnt a hole in my wallet!!!!

BEWARE..... I have had fillers before but nonedud this to my face!

Franklin Dermatology opinion

On Friday saw Doctor Schumer of Franklin Dermatology for another opinion. He did not think the results were permanent, suggested I go back to the surgery and stated he has not got involved with cosmetic surgery due to the rate of complications.....UPDATED picture June 29,2014

Follow Up DISASTER!!!!!!

yesterday I had my two month follow up with the board certified plastic surgeon that injected this nightmare into my face. I let him no how to satisfied I was with the results and showed him my like marks that were still on my face. I will provide pictures of what I looked like today! Any lawyers are help I would gladly appreciate. the doctor agreed with me when he put my before and after pictures up that my eyes are now much darker underneath!!! He agreed and quite honestly I have it on tape just for myself. I just wanted to hear back what he said to me later because I am so shocked from my appointment. He also stated that he felt he did a perfect job. I do not understand what world he's in. Number one he stated that sometimes people get pigmentation in due to the black guy that's what's happened. He caused the black guy by hitting a blood vessel. He even took responsibility for that. He didn't miss it looks darker. What are my options? I also was given makeup that I could use to cover it

make up? bleaching cream? and arnica montana?

continuing. So he offered me only bleaching cream to put on 4 to 6 weeks. Does anyone know does this really work? I'm afraid to try anything he suggest. Then he mentioned arnic a Montana. Well that's funny I've been using pills, bought a bottle, & a gel in for weeks it has not done much of anything. the receptionist all made sad faces and started to give me a makeup which was a thin cover up. I proceeded to tell them that doesn't work I'm using tattoo cover up makeup dermablend. And that it still is showing through! Honestly the only thing I can do is go to another I plan to stick surgeon and hope that he sees this guy was incompetent and is able to show malice or neglect and that it is his fault. I was really pissed when he said he felt he did a perfect job. What do you guys think? I'll put my before picture up, and now my after from yesterday!

2nd opinion DISASTER losing hope

2ND opinion. Went to another Surgeon said he saw nothing wrong. I showed him my before and after pictures. He said they were bad pictures because of the flash, and everyone looks worse. Basically in a nut shell he felt it was fine!!!!!

HELLO- I look like LURCH. I got upset when he questioned my lurch lines and said did I just mot notice them. I told him I know my face after 41 years. So disappointing.

On the way out the assistant said as she was walking me out I should look into the enzyme that removes this filler! ( she kind of mentioned it into my ear)

I am upset the doctor says he did not see or agreed with me. Everyone else who knows me and sees me says it is a lot worse.

will travel to fix it

Wed 7/23. after a surgeon said he did not see anything wrong! Until more opinions, and possibly traveling.

MONDAY OCULOPLASTIC SURGEON

After a month WAIT I will be attending University of Michigan Department of plastic Surgery....hoping for some relief. ( been to 2 plastic surgeons and a dermatologist)........

Before and After with Makw Up. wush Skin would just Wake Up!!!!

8/24/24. Getting better with Dermablendmake up. (Post before and after picture).

Going to try: 1 month compresses.
Walking 20 mikes a week (out of shape but hear sometimes cardio will help swear it out)
Crossing fingers!!!!!!
I will set another appointment. Just running into money issues now face is botched in dim lighting or with a flash.

Doc Sam to the rescue. or just the TRUTH!

went to my internist doctor Sam. He also does Botox, and other fillers. He kept shaking his head and said it made no sense but the Dr put voluma in my chair through when my skin is so thin their.he mentioned that he does not get a kick back from Juvederm or Botox at all. But with vol. You MA they actually make a hundred profit when they use it! So my doctor or surgeon who injected it actually made money off me. Is very truthful and does not mince words.I was just there on Friday. He also does weight loss practice. it infuriates me but this doctor push this product probably knowing it might not make a great impact or make a worse impact on my face. My credit card company awarded me 1804 back. But it is sitting in limbo and I'm waiting for the doctors response. They investigated all my pictures, medical bills, and an application from the TV show in an interview with them, and more. I'm surprised I got my money back or atleast awarded the money. But now I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Ready for Halloween!!!!! no make up needed!

I am reaching my fifth month of this nightmare. Right now I've given myself november first when I will seek other options for this scary look. Right now I'm keeping it because we're going to have a halloween party am going to be a zombie. All I have to do is get gray makeup and enrich my lines! I'm just so used to this right now I don't remember what I look like without it now. In some light again its not noticeable. With a ton of makeup it's coverable.I thought people make it a kick out of this picture. really have no problem showing my face because I feel it lets people know that I'm for real and that this doctor really had a vast impact on how I looked. I think if for some reason the surgeon bills me again we are hard ng to small claims.
my credit card awarded me money after really investigating with pictures, documents, the TV show botched application, as well as the doctors own medical notes. In his notes there is more darkness. I won the money with the credit card company that usually doesn't want to give back money, & I feel I could possibly win in court. I'm going to keep my confidence up and hope that he does not bill me back. Other than that I hope everyone is doing well in that anyone with one of these plastic surgery nightmares can find the humor in it at times. Its the only thing that keeps me sane.
Berkley DMC Plastic Surgery

Doctor was very nice. ( really do not want to put name in yet) Had full trust. DEVASTATED with results. Not sure what went wrong. It has been 60 + days and no relief. at my follow up the doctor admitted that I had more darkness then when I started!!!!! All I got in consolation was that he said he felt he did a perfect injection! My face is damaged, destroyed, deformed, with permanent marks that make up cannot cover! Emailed pictures 2 days later was so concerned. Doctor did have me come in to chrck after hours!!! I have a love/hate relationship with this place. Staff and doctor friendly, but HATE the results.............. I liked the surgeon but HATE my results What can I do now?

Your surgeon seems very closely affiliated with Allergan. He should absolutely know that Voluma is NOT for the tear troughs. On page 4 of the Voluma product information booklet available on Allergan's website it specifically states under the heading CONTRA-INDICATIONS this exact sentence: "Do not use Juvederm Voluma with Lidicaine in the periorbital area (eyelid, under eye area, crow's feet), the glabella or the lips." It is written in black and white directly by the manufacturer. Your surgeon is an ill-educated, incompetent clown. Not only should he have offered you an immediate complete refund and a massive apology, he should also offer to pay for any procedures required to rectify the damage. Insist! This is not just a bad outcome within the range of acceptable risks. This is negligence and medical malpractice on behalf of your surgeon simply because he didn't read the intructions. Bloody hell - it's already been five months of your life!! Maybe you should think about naming this surgeon on RealSelf to save others in your area from the same fate? He has certainly done you no favours whatsoever.
You cannot encourage anyone towards defamation! Slander and libel are actionable - and that's why you can't really, in fact, "take out a big ad". Nobody's going to accept it (no newspaper or magazine, for example) as their legal departments would veto. If it's the money that's nagging at you, pursue it through small claims court, which you can do solo - without paying any attorney. Hire an attorney, and be prepared to pay out-of-pocket expenses and maybe a retainer, and wait years, and maybe your lawyer does it on contingency and gets 33 - 50% of the "take". If the doctor's practice isn't really solvent, lawyer will probably suss that and refuse the case anyway, unless there's good malpractice insurance. If there is malpractice insurance, they will provide the doctor with counsel and they will have a maximum set on the policy. The soundest advice is that you make every attempt you can - through mediation or a medical board - to get the "justice" I think you really want - some kind of professional "adjustment" or "fix" to this problem that you now have. Whether that has to be fixed surgically or whatever - I would suppose that's what you really want. The danger to me of the "dissolver" for the fillers is that it *CAN* also dissolve your body's natural HA - i.e., leave you with "worse" effects when you are talking about dark circles under your eys. In theory, your body would regenerate it - but the older you are, the less I wonder that's true. That's why you needed the filler in the first place. I know all this, because I, too, got Tyndall blues from regular undereye filler that, I suspect, was simply injected too shallow. I have two clear little pouches of blue in certain light. I've waited one year, and have had other treatments I hoped might help - such as laser and IPL (for other issues, but I was hoping they might "melt" some of the filler). But they are still there. My own doctor has advised waiting longer and not rushing to dissolver. He did his own research. He's the one told me I might not necessarily bounce back from that, even though, as he put it plainly, "At least your cheeks have not fallen." So - he wouldn't want to risk my losing my cheek volume over the two small (maybe the size of a pencil eraser) blue pouches. I personally now advise anyone that if you are really all that bothered about the undereye circles, maybe you just go ahead for a lower eye lid surgical procedure - but stay away from filler in that area. The nasal labial folds and maritonettes - I've had great results. But stay away from the eyes - no matter WHO is "injecting" - and no matter what product - and no matter whether they use a cannula or not, etc. I really do not think that it's accurate or fair to blame any of this on the manufacturer, Allergan. You can have this with ANY filler in the eye area. And Voluma, in particular, as you've pointed out above, the manufacturer says "don't" use in the eye area - so how are they responsible for a doctor going off label? They aren't. And, BTW, in business, and drug manufacturing or big pharma is a business, it is hardly unusual to have an "exclusive" contract or distributorship with a sales force. A Toyota dealer probably has an exclusive that prohibits them from also selling brand new Hyundai's, for example, since Hyudai and Toyota are competitors. So i do not find it "unusual" or "unconscionable" that Allergan *might* (and I personally have no information on this) require exclusivity - although, I go to various places for various treatments - and I have personally *never* not had a variety of choices for fillers - or even "numbers" (like Botox). If I saw that in an office, then I think the logical question would be, "Why do you only carry this line exclusively?" It could be that the doctor personally PREFERS it - stranger things have happened. But they should be able to give a coherent explanation for that preference - and not one that says, "Because I have a lower price point or higher profit margin." I know, for example, that's why my orthodontist uses Clear & Correct versus Invisalign. The orthodontist actually pays the manufacturer for the treatment up front (the trays, etc.) and then you are, in effect, "reimbursing" the orthodontist, and I know that Clear & Correct costs *HIM* less. In theory, he should be passing some of that savings along to me - and I think he does, when I priced around. That's business. And any medical practice is also a business. As long as Clear & Correct generates the same results - why would I care if he and I can also save a little money. If Juvederm and some other filler, in the same place on my face, do the same job - but Allergan gives me "frequent flyer" points (Brilliant Distinctions) and the others don't - why wouldn't I agree to that "deal". Most of these cosmetic doctors I've talked to have a difference preference for each part of the face. They will tell you "For lips I like X because of Y. For marionette, I like Z because of A and B." And if they could NOT explain that to me in simple layman's terms I can understand, I think I might go elsewhere.
I'm confused as to whom that reply was directed. If it is to me, I haven't encouraged anyone towards defamation or suggested an advertisement. As to supplier exclusivity, well that's an interesting question and I disagree it's the same as a Toyota dealership. Medical professionals have an overarching duty to patients that goes beyond profit. The balance between ethical duty to patients and the right to make money is a difficult one to get right. And exclusive deals from suppliers or threatened sanctions from suppliers for refusal to be exclusive is definitely in the grey area. If it is just a matter of product preference then the doctor should certainly know how to use those products properly. It's inexcusable to get it so wrong.
I wouldn't advise any name shaming or "outing" on social media or a website like this if you really want to reach resolution. The injured party really has to ask him/herself what do you WANT. If you want to be "made whole" and it consists of no financial loss and putting yourself "right" before this botch, that is reasonable and hopefully achievable. If, however, you are more angry and seeking revenge, then you won't really be satisfied in the end anyway - which is exactly why the old saying "Revenge is a dish best served cold." exists. Not when you are running "hot" with anger. So I would discourage the shaming, naming, picketing, etc. That's a negative approach. A positive approach would actually be working with a consumer advocate who might be able to mediate. However - in this case - if "making whole" includes fixing the botch - then I doubt you'd want this provider attempting it! So that part might be left "unresolved" in the short run. We'll just have to disagree about the Toyota analogy especially when it comes to medi spas versus private practices. The notion of an "open house" gave me a total medi spa vibe. In those situations, doctors are often only nominally "related" to the thing - and not even the actual owners. And often the reason they are at a medi spa instead of a private practice may be an indication of something that went awry - I'm thinking of two in my local area. But that sort of thing can usually be found in public documents through State licensing Boards. For example, a neurologist no longer in private practice but now at the medi spa his wife owns - maybe I don't want him injecting near my eye even if he's the nicest guy in the world. Or the guy who was in a plastics residency but was asked to leave it - even if that was for "personal" reasons and he's also the nicest guy in the world. Proceed with caution.
nah...she is not directed the reply to you KP72. That reply is mainly for herself to vent and read. LOL.
For what it's worth, cosmetic procedure celebrity Marianne Guarena ran an online forum for almost anything cosmetic, mainly procedures. She did allow "naming names" IF the poster complaining included photos showing the bad result. To my knowledge she had no problems from this policy and I for one was very grateful because it informed me of who many of the dubious doctors were. On these threads where so many people lives have been all but ruined by inept practitioners, we need all the help we can get. If dubious doctors don't want less business as a result of being "named", they should put themselves out there in a good light and show their good work. (Bad doctors REALLY can't do this now, can they? :/)
Personally, I wouldn't risk blow back as I think there are other ways to achieve what I'd suspect a "botched" patient really wants - to be made whole, including "correction". And I do place a greater emphasis on professional sanctions (by professional peers) because, often, the general public are not knowledgeable of all factors, variables, etc. For example, if you read through the doctor answers on this very issue (dark circles under the eyes after Voluma in CHEEKS) - you'll note that a lot of professionals talk about "drape" and "contour" and "placement" - and it seems that the Voluma need not be actually put "in the eye area" for you to get this result. It can happen if it's put in the wrong part of your CHEEK - but it was CHEEK. The lift from the misplaced Voluma can cast a shadow - just as the shallow Juvederm can cast those shadows as Tyndall blues. Usually they offer dissolving the Voluma and correct re-placement as the fix. And I think, if one is not really a plastic surgeon, and is from some other medical field and took weekend courses to work at a medi spa, and if that person didn't have a lot of injection experience, I can see how that would easily happen. It doesn't have to be intentional negligence or wilfull use of a product off-label. Not necessarily. While the effects may be the same, I think perhaps understanding the how and why of it better may color the "reaction". That's all I'm saying. Name shaming, unfortunately, is often knee jerk and in the heat of the moment. And, just in my opinion, doesn't actually even necessarily "protect" a single other person from the same thing happening if that other person is not in exactly the same set of circumstances and variables - and most time, we won't be.
I never put the Surgeons name on here to cause any issues with it. I just got a copy of my medical records and hope the Voluma will be dissolved. My shadowing is terrible. And it appears there is hyperpigmentation. I will not have an issue as long as I have my money back.
I think that's the best response! Here's one question I'd ask about the dissolving, too (and hey - I have the Tyndalls from the Juvederm which I've waited out one year) - is there any chance that it will so deplete my natural HA that it, too, will result in further dark circles?! Or my cheeks falling down around my jaw? And could I really ever get my natural HA back (since I may be older than you are!)?
Agreed that Voluma in the cheeks affects the tear troughs in a very similar way to how cheek implants affect the tear troughs. Sometimes it's not pretty! And this is a result that could occur even when the product is used properly. Voluma under the eyes is not "off-label" it is a "contra-indication", which is a very different proposition. Off-label use is very common in relation to many medicines and all it means is a successful use that the drug was not originally intended for but contra-indications are specific things to be avoided. There is a big difference between the two concepts, particularly at law.
I agree. I have my medical records and everything. My friend and co worker was with me when he said it was not approved for the area but it was okay since he is the surgeon. if I could just click my feet together and go back in time I would love to be there at that day. Now knowing what I have after reading real self I would never have let him inject me.
When I read the directions for use of Voluma XC I see safety & effectiveness of anatomical areas other than mid-face not proven. There is a contraindication for vascular areas and nose and glabullar are mentioned. Not eyes. That's why I used the term off label. And if you were informed and consented there's the rub.
Then the information is contradictory. I quoted directly from a Voluma product information brochure published by Allergan. Google: Juvederm Voluma contra-indications. It is the fifth hit and I quoted directly from the contra-indications on page 4 of the PDF. It definitely says not to use it in the periorbital area.
I have the same feeling. If I could just get that moment back!!
Hello darkeyecircles. If your Credit Card got re-bill from the Doctor office. You would have to inform the doctor what he done to you is wrong and you intend Protest with big signs in front of his office within 3 days at these date and time. I bet that will get his immediate attention and it almost will guaranteed you will get your refund at the day of the actual protest.
Thsts a GREAT idea. And I will call the Problem Solvers on the news as well! :) thanks Jeiamj....
Calling a consumer advocate is a great idea. Picketing, protesting, placing "ads" are lousy ideas unless you want legal problems yourself! There are strict laws in most municipalities about public protests. There are actions for defamation, slander and libel. But a consumer advocate can work behind the scenes and hopefully get you a good resolution. I did that myself once with a credit card issue.
I also think a consumer advocate is a good idea. And cheaper than a lawyer!
I will contact a consumers advocate. I have a few days to see if I am re billed
There are two problems injecting near eyes. If not deep enough you can get those Tyndall blues. If it gets in the sac versus the trough. Plus Voluma is not for eyes! If aiming for cheeks and hitting undereye, that's an operator error. If knowingly putting Voluma in eye area, that's operator error.
My current doctor who corrected my bad restylane result said my problem was that the filler was injected too superficially. I had Tyndall, that doughy, whitish look to the skin, a blistered appearance where the filler seemed to settle and a small yellowish area which was not there before the filler. I know I said I am 100% back to where I was before the filler but I had forgotten about the little yellow area. I have had the same yellowing on the upper eyelid for many years. I dont' think it's noticeable but it is there. I really never think about the little yellow area on the lower eyelid. I think the surgery will help that look better but I don't consider it a problem even now.
Thsts great your back to where you were before the filler!!! it gives me hope indeed.
that is a great way of describing just how yucky Tyndall is -- I almost but not quite have to laugh. I wonder just how common it is since it seems to me a lot of people have gotten that awful -- doughy grey dead as you so eloquently put it! -- stuff. It really is the worst! I had that so I know it well. Ugh. I too had it injected too superficially and it looked like worms wriggling beneath the skin. The worm description comes from the guy I went to after the first guy messed up by injecting too superficially. He (the second surgeon) explained why it happens. By the way, the one who messed up is one of the few (perhaps only) surgeons specially selected to represent Allergan and they sure made a big deal out of it. All hype, no substance is the way it seems to be far too often.
oh and by the way mine went away completely and thank God! But I really don't think anyone should chance injecting beneath the eyes where the skin is so very thin -- there are just too many things that go wrong. I have quite thick skin that can take a lot of abuse, olive, handles a beating well, etc., yet even I had something happen. Really try to accept the hollows folks -- they aren't as bad as things like saggy neck! Do anything possible to avoid injections in the thinnest of all areas, beneath the eyes.
Couldn't agree more. One year later I still have two bluish pouches under my eyes. The normal dark circles look good in comparison.