Is That Me??! Lower Body Lift with Vertical Incision, Breast Lift Without Implants - Australia, AU

I found reviews and personal stories on this site...

I found reviews and personal stories on this site to be instrumental to my decision making, so I am taking a deep breath and adding mine! Please bear with me whilst I ramble through my story. I am 11 days post op currently.

I am 5'3'' and my highest weight was 229 pounds. I've lost weight down to 128 pounds with the help of a gastric sleeve, and my BMI has gone from 40.6 to 22.6.

Thanks to a long history of yoyo dieting, my breasts started heading south when I was only in my teens. It didn't help that I was up to a 42H whilst breastfeeding. Post weight loss I was down to a very deflated 34C/D that was mostly skin. Got to love folding your breasts into a bra :S .

I always had it in my head that I would have a breast lift ‘someday’. With my weight sorted, I booked in with a plastic surgeon on somewhat of a whim for what I expected to be just an opinion. The results were a little different to what I had expected.

Firstly, now I had taken that first step, I was suddenly full steam ahead rather than just on a fact finding mission. My surgeon had all the right qualifications, was absolutely lovely, and I trusted him implicitly right away. Being highly recommended by my bariatric surgeon (and familiar with massive weight loss patients, our plastic surgeries are a bit different) was the clinching factor, and I didn’t feel the need to consult with anyone else. He was very expensive, but when my husband and I looked at our finances, we realised we could *just* swing it.

Secondly, the surgeon suggested much more extensive surgery than I had expected. I figured salvaging whatever he could of my residual breast tissue plus a tummy tuck thrown in was what I was looking for. Certainly he agreed about my breasts, but he suggested a lower body lift with an incision the whole way around. Not only that, but a vertical incision also. My head was spinning a little, as I’ve been so distracted by my breasts for so many years that I really didn’t pay the rest of my body much attention. Sure, I knew I had a bit of a saggy tummy, but for where I had started from I thought I had fared reasonably well.

From my perspective, no matter what the surgeon did for my breasts, it would be a huge improvement. I didn’t give that part a second thought. Oddly enough though, I agonised over the lower body lift. Some of the before and after pictures I saw online were incredible, others were a little... masculine. As bizarre as it sounds, I have lived my life knowing I have an abundance of curves, and at my reduced weight, I was cutting a reasonable shape in clothes. Suddenly I was worried that was going to disappear and that I was risking being left unhappy with an androgenous body shape. I also flip flopped back and forth about the vertical incision, as I really hadn’t thought I was that ‘bad’ and information on it was harder to come by.

Over a few months with lots of trawling of the internet and the aid of my very patient surgeon, I decided to go the whole hog. I look back now and marvel at how diplomatic my surgeon was, he could be well and truly forgiven for looking at my body and thinking I was crazy to have any doubts! Lower body lifts were created exactly for bodies like mine, with laxity at the rear as well as the front. Plus despite my concerns regarding scars, it was ultimately a nice body shape that I wanted.

So I did it. I am now 11 days post op. I did have some mercifully brief complications early on but thankfully they appear to be behind me now.

As to the results... I am THRILLED!! I can’t believe I get to keep this body!! I was very conservative in my expectations, perfection was not the goal blah blah blah but holy smokes am I happy!

I’ll try to sort myself out to add pictures, I kind of feel like I owe it given how useful others were to me. I also have to say that Shine Bright Like a Diamond‘s step by step review helped me enormously, including to keep focus during some particularly rough days.

So, that’s my story. I might add more details later and I'll try to get up my courage to add pictures.

Thanks to everyone who has shared on this forum, I have found it immensely helpful :) .
Great review! Thanks for sharing your experiences....I think this whole forum is so unique, in that we can all share our experiences while supporting one another. I never thought I would post my before and after photos, in fact I only intended to create a review for my Physician....then I realized words alone were not enough, so I sucked it up and posted photos..... From that very first day I put my profile up, I met the most amazing, kind, courageous, strong and awesome women, all sharing their stories in hopes of educating, inspiring, or just supporting one another....Truly an amazing experience!
Thanks :) . I'm going to suck it up and post pictures soon. The irony is the most useful ones are the ones I am least inclined to share, and those are the ones I am planning to post! Mind you, the benefit I got from other B&A's (looking at you and Shine Bright Like a Diamond :) ) is immeasurable, so hope to be back soon...
So happy to read your review and know all is well with you! Congrats on the weight loss and successful surgery! I was touched to see my name mentioned on your review too...thank YOU! Makes it all well worth it to know I helped someone through the process! Can't wait to see your B&A pics!

So here I go...

Photos. Or at least I hope so. Lets see what I can manage with my minimal computer skills! If this works it will be post op photos...

Pre-op pics

Please be kind...

So there you go.

There are my pre and post op pics. I'll post updated pics again at some stage, once all the dressings/tape are off. I *might* post pre-weight loss pics if I'm feeling super brave, but I'm still thinking on that one.

More...

So now I'm all in...

Pre-weight loss pictures. Hard to fathom. Given that this was my starting point, I thought I was quite lucky with my skin overall. And as deflated and messed up as my breasts became, they were worse when they were so much bigger and even lower than they were pre-op. My skin had some elasticity left to it that I didn't give it credit for.
I would be happy to look like your before surgery pictures (the ones after the weight loss that is)....I'm sure you are going to look amazing once everything heals up...Happy for you. I am planning a LBF next spring...
Thank you AZDee. From what I can see you are looking pretty good?! Good luck for next spring :) .
I had beejn going back and forth about the whole LBL but thanks to you and others here I AM going ahead with it....had been thinking I was too old, maybe it would have been worth it 20 years ago, but you only live once might as well look your best at any age....please keep us updated on the healing

Three weeks out

I'm healing well. Still not upright, and still leaning to the side a little (tighter on one side, I think due to an old scar), but I'm getting there.

I am very happy with my result. I have swelling still in my lower back of all places, but I am expecting that to eventually go away which should make for a nicer curve. Any other swelling (I think) is fairly minor. Obviously I'm not perfect, but you can see my before weight loss pictures and probably appreciate the enormity of the improvement!!

This whole thing is strangely liberating. Following my weight loss people started referring to me as attractive and some admired my figure (!). It felt like a lie though, I knew what was underneath my clothes and it wasn't what people were expecting. Now, scars and all, I don't feel like I'm faking anymore. A very strange, very welcome feeling. It doesn't matter that no one other than my husband (and you!!) will see me naked, just knowing in myself that I have nothing left to 'hide' makes me feel amazing. For my own sake, no one else's. I am one very happy girl, more so than I had anticipated.

I'll add some updated pictures soon.

Thank you for the kind comments :) .

photos as promised

rest of pics

Thankyou for sharing You look amazing!! Keep us posted :)
I forgot the most important comment...you look awesome! I am so happy for you and that you can really enjoy your weight loss and not feel like you are lying! I hope I am able to achieve the results you have gotten!
I love your story and your posting. Thank you so much. Like you I have lots about weight about 80 pounds from highest pregnancy weight. I have three wonderful children and a belly that proves it. I was expecting to get a tummy tuck and surprised when the Doc suggested a lower body lift. I am scared of the scar and a flat butt. I tend to already have a flat butt and it certainly does need lifting. I guess my question is how do you feel your butt faired through this? Do you have any side photos where I can see what happened to the curve of your butt? We are pretty close in shape I am just taller and a bit heavier. 5'8" and 150 pounds. Thank you.
Australian