Looking for the BEST Primary Rhino Doctor (Gruber, Grigoryants Etc)

I am tall, pretty and slender and have a nice nose...

I am tall, pretty and slender and have a nice nose aside from a small bump and a slightly lowered tip. I am wanting the best doctor that money can buy and prefer beautiful and elegant noses to the "cutesyish" noses. I have thin skin and a straight nose, so I am just looking for someone with an amazing aesthetic.

I love Grigoryants noses, but feel that sometimes he takes away too much columnella and one gets a "flat appearance" as opposed to a more elegant look.

My concerns with Gruber are that is older and sometimes his noses look "done" to me.

Please don't recommend any unknown Doctors etc. I am looking to go to the very best. I see a lot of noses posted on this site that I would be VERY unhappy with as a finished result.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Please post who you're surgeon was and if you're happy or dissatisfied.

So I got my cast off today-- it was 100% painless as this whole process has been. I hardly had any bruising as I consumed copious amounts of papaya, pineapple, arnica, watermelon, broccoli, hard boiled egg whites, a gallon of water per day and no sodium. The cast removal was a breeze, Gohar is so sweet and made the whole thing so easy. Aside from the obvious swelling, I am very pleased with the outcome. Dr. Grigoryants is a lovely person and very skilled surgeon and someone whom I recommend without any reservations.
Could you PM me your before and afters please? I'm going wit Dr. G hopefully this July
Yes, happily-- I will take some photos tomorrow morning :)
Sounds like you had a great experience! Good to hear. I would love to see your before/afters as well if you're sharing :)
I will add the following: I am totally with you about preferring an elegant nose over a cutesy nose. I think Grigoryants veers into too cutesy/upturned. That doesn't suit my personality and I have read (from this thread included) that he sometimes doesn't take into account the patient's aesthetic preference due to his busyness. Plus, I think cutesy is just his defacto 'look'--you can't go to a surgeon who has a different aesthetic than you and expect him to conform to your wishes. This is why I think I have crossed him off his list. The upturned, dainty look really works for some people, I just don't think it would work for my face. Gruber's aesthetic, on the other hand, I really really like. From what I've seen anyway. It's just his age that's tripping me up.
Maybe age can be a positive. He's bound to have more experience if he's older
but he's 74. i agree, experience is a tremendous plus, but 74 is pushing it. you lose hand-eye coordination and details. my father is in his late 60s and says he would not trust someone his age with a precision surgery like rhino that requires such a steady hand and meticulous detail.
I would normally agree with you, but I have a lot of friends who are doctors and they suggested that at 72, he would still be fine as far as steadiness of hands etc. My main issue with Gruber is that I really didn't want to do an open rhino (his preference). I also felt that his noses tended to be a little too sloped for my preference. I actually found him very sweet and gentle, but businesslike at the same time. I found Grigoryants to be very friendly, thorough and patient in answering all of my questions. After having seen both he and Grigoryants, I chose Grigoryants. I felt that he understood what I want, what my expectations are and felt that we were on the same page. I decided a month ago that I wanted to book surgeries with both doctors and see how I felt. I ended up deciding that Grigoryants was the better option for me. I think Gruber would have done an amazing job as well, but I think there is something to be said for someone that does 3 surgeries per day-- more rhinos than most doctors do in a week. I felt that the office staff was "warmer" at Gruber, but as I am there for the best surgeon and results, I am less concerned with that. My surgery is scheduled for 8am tomorrow morning and to be honest, I am more scared of getting the IV than anything else :(. I very clearly explained to him that I do not want an upturned, cutesy nose, that instead I prefer an elegant nose. I had my pre-op this evening and also dressed in a way that would convey to him my aesthetics.
I added paragraphs, however, they don't seem to be appearing? Apologies.
That is awesome, congrats on making a decision! I love grigoryants' personality and he seems not only incredibly diligent but extremely determined to make his patients happy. Out of all the docs I've researched, he has the largest constituents of happy patients so I think you made a great choice. I hope you'll keep us updated! I am still considering him and too want an elegant nose so I would love to hear your experience!
Thank you! Surgery went smoothly-- my surgery was at 10am. I arrived at 8am, did the paperwork at the hospital and started the intake process. The nurses were LOVELY, absolutely so sweet and helpful. Since I hate needles the nurse wanted to the anesthesiologist to start the line-- I got wheeled to the pre-or and the anethstisologist came over and did an AMAZINGLY painless insertion (Dr. G was lovey as well and stood there with my husband whilst I was whining like a baby). He was pinching my other hand while I was holding onto my husband's hand with a death grip! I will say that whatever the anesthesiologist used in her "mix" was perfect. I woke up fairly quickly with some mild nausea and was very hot. She put something in my IV line (anti-nausea) and I felt better very quickly. I had also asked that they use as little painkiller in my IV post op as possible so that I wouldn't feel so nauseated and gross after. After a short time there, I was wheeled into the previous waiting area where my husband was able to sit with me, they gave me crackers and a soda and checked vitals etc. I was still feeling a bit queasy so I tried to throw up (sorry TMI) and threw up some blood and felt SO GOOD after. Also, I have a great recommendation for everyone flying in for surgery with Grigoryants. Last night we stayed at the Langham in Pasadena and then today moved over to a lovely little home about 5 minutes from the office. I am very much a "Four Seasons/St. Regis" kinda girl and am finding this place very comfortable (plus the owner allows small dogs-- a must). So far today I have only taken 1/2 of a Norco and my antibiotics, have hardly had to sleep at all (dozed in and out for an hour when we got back to the house) and have eaten pineapple and some blueberries and had a lot of water. I am very pleasantly surprised at how well today has gone and am hoping for the same tomorrow! I will definitely keep you updated.
OMG the paragraph issue again-- what do I do instead of spaces between in order for them to show up?
Sounds like a successful surgery with caring staff! I too get very nauseous with medication so it's good to hear they have remedies for that. Excited for your progress and wishing you a happy recovery!
These are the EXACT doctors I'm considering. I met with both of them. Grigoryants is warmer and will spend time with you going over his plan and explaining things. I did a ridiculous amount of research and am informed about the mechanics of the nose and he seemed to appreciate this and wanted to engage in a more sophisticated conversation about the architecture of the nose. Gruber was more curt, and you sort of have to trust that he knows what he's doing. He talked about specifics, but was less inclined to get really into details. Have you consulted with either? Gruber's age concerns me too
It is very scary to know that no matter who you will go with the result might be disappointing. I am sure doctors don't show off less than perfect photos of their patients when you are asking to see samples of nose jobs. The doctor i decided to go with waves his fees if his patient is not satisfied with a result and wants something to be redone. I don't want to have multiple surgeries, but it gave me some confidence. That doctor has 2% of "unhappy" patients (or so they say - who knows). :)
So true. The doctor that I have chosen does the same in terms of waiving the revision costs should a change be appropriate. I have to say that I consulted with several members of the Rhinoplasty society-- an exclusive group of rhino doctors and two of them told me that any doctor that tells you that he does less than 15% revisions on his own work is full of shit :).
Now I'm stressing out as I too love his before and afters. The one thing that I liked about Gruber is the fact that he is so renowned in the Rhino field and that he has been doing it for so long. I am concerned with the fact that both of you have had similar issues with Grigoryants as I am very picky and will not accept a "subpar" result. If you don't mind me asking, do you have thin skin? My nose is very straight and I have thin skin-- I just want to remove the small bump and maybe raise the tip (but do not need it refined). I am concerned that Grigoryants is not a member of the Rhinoplasty society as many of the good/great surgeons are. I know that Gruber does far less marketing than Grigoryants and I also realize that a lot of the great surgeons will not have postings on a message board etc. Help!!
I went to one other consult years before and the surgeon said don't have a rhino as I didn't have a bump or a large nose. My issue was breathing and I wanted my tip lifted. I have thinner skin and that is contributing to my current problem bc thin skin is less forgiving and my bony asymmetry is more visible as opposed to someone who has thicker skin. My very good friend had her rhino with dr g. 3 months after I did and her results are great. She had the tiniest bump removed and her tip lifted. I am planning my revision in August but I still need to decide who I am going with. It's very important for a surgeon to see the same problem I'm seeing and be on the same page. Dr g acknowledges my concerns but has asked me to wait until it's been over a year before I make any decisions. However, I am leaning towards going with a revision expert since revision rhino is much more difficult. One thing to note is that the issue that I'm seeing is only noticeable to me. I'm sure that's because no one examines a nose on someone else. But rhinoplasty is a surgery of millimeters and so I see it and it's on my face. I, like you, don't want to settle for subpar results. I'm not aiming for perfection but I know that my nose prior to surgery didn't have this bony asymmetry so it's upsetting to come out of surgery with less than average results. If you want more info on dr gruber, you can find a lot on the makemeheal site. Hope this info helps.
Any recommendations? How are Naderi and Ghavami?
By Law, surgeons are not allowed to retouch photos as it is considered false advertising. Also, known doctors aren't necessarily the best doctors. All it could mean is they have good marketing reps. How much you pay and the zip code your Doctor is located in has very little do with the actual skill of a surgeon. Some of the better doctors are in fact "unknown" doctors.
I contacted Dr Gruber's and Dr Grigoryants offices about before and after photos. Both offices told me that their photos not retouched and they can show you original photos and more photos in the office. Gruber's office told me surgeons are not allowed to retouch them.
Please think twice about your listed choices. Surgeons have a right to retouch any before and after pictures they take of their patients. Most of the pictures you're seeing are not how results turn out. You may end up being disappointed.
I agree with penguinz11, my primary surgeon has amazing b/a photos and that was the main reason I chose him. Guess what, I am very disappointed with how my nose turned out! I believe most of these after photos we see on surgeons websites are nothing but photoshop!
Who do you recommend?