Loose Skin Around Mouth After Juvederm in Lips - Philadelphia, PA

I recently had juvederm done in the lips. It...

I recently had juvederm done in the lips. It looked good for about 2 days until the initial swelling went down and I noticed loose skin on the sides of my lips (I'll call them lip jowls). They form a severe line and cover the end of my smile like a flap. No clue where this skin came from - I've always had thin, flat features and tight skin below my cheeks. From the side view I now look 10 years older!

Its not like the lips are even big, but she did have to build out the upper lip. I'm thinking because I had such flat lips and features, that building out the upper lip may have been too much for my thin face and pulled skin out and down. I went back for some corrections for this, and again it looked great until the initial swelling went down. Now I see nothing but the flaps and new marionette lines that form on each side when I smile because of excess skin.

Im 38 and always passed for 30. Now I look much older. I cant go to my 20 year reunion looking like this. I cant see my boyfriend. I basically have shut myself in from everyone so they cant see me. I literally have scotch taped my cheeks back so I dont have to see it when I look in the mirror!

today.. 2 days after my initial post I have...

today.. 2 days after my initial post I have the same mouth pouches and when I smile I look like the joker.  In addition a new problem has been forming that I notice at night (when my face volume is lower) Im getting deep trenches next to my nose... like juvederm has pulled my cheeks down and away from my nose. I never had that before!  Im going to a plastic surgeon today to see if he can remove this hell from my face, but I think the saggy skin may be permanent.

Is this common and how would you correct this?...

Is this common and how would you correct this? More filler? Titan or Thermage? I wish it were as easy as scotch tape. Is it possible to be swollen after 3 weeks or can Juvederm really pull your whole face down??

Dr Seema Patel, MD

She has destroyed my mouth and my beautiful smile by injecting in all the wrong places around my mouth. I used to have a great smile I could be proud of, now just mouth jowels. My lips are horribly uneven and smile is like a clown. For the first few months I could barely even smile wide. At 9 months, I can now smile wider but the jowels and joker curl are no better. I've had one plastic surgeon offer to do a case study. Two others just tell me this is a "horrible" result. Yes it is. And it doesn't end.

THIS IS MY PROFILE> I deleted it but came back and posted a comment recently under RS555. Pictures included. As you will see 3.5 years later this problem has not resolved. I am seeking consultation from plastic surgeons at this point. Its amazing how ONE TIME with the wrong injector can ruin your face, and take away your smile. Dont believe the hype these non invasive procedures are temporary. In the wrong hands they change your face and your life. I hide my smile now, and it used to be my BEST feature. I dont even close my lips because of the way the skin around my mouth hangs. I recently dissolved more Juvederm with some success, but too late for the skin thats been stretched. The pictures above include my BEFORE picture (not long before my appt with my injector). CLEARLY I had no issues around my mouth. The pictures next to it tell the story of how a shockingly unskilled injector can change a persons appearance overnight. The pictures I show with my question under RS555 are from 3.5 years later. They look almost the same. She changed my face forever. DONT TELL ME THIS IS NOT JUVEDERM OR IT DOES NOT LAST. Now I have to seek consultation with a plastic surgeon just to get back to baseline. PLASTIC SURGERY because this doctor had NO idea what she was doing.
Hi! I understand and have had a similar outcome. For me, the problem really stems for the dissolver and left my face completely hollow from nose to mouth (and even above my top lip). It also stretched out my face leaving my cheeks lower and misshapen. It's been horrible. I too used dermatologists. They truly do not understand how these fillers and especially dissolves can and will ruin a perfectly good face! They continue to insist that it's all temporary. It's been over a year for me and I just don't look the same as before. It is not temporary by any means; it is permanent! I have moved on and out of the severe depression I was in. I tried eating a diet rich in healthy fats, fruit, veggies. Also. Purposely gained weight in hopes that it would fill in the hollow areas. (It only made my cheeks look puffy because of the indented hollows in my laugh line area!) My self esteem has diminished affecting every aspect of my life. My next step is to meet with a plastic surgeon. However. I am nervous and very cautious in letting anyone touch my face again. Please follow up with the opinions you find from Docs and I will do the same.
Thanks for updating us, and I'm so sorry your juvederm issues haven't resolved! Nine months ago I was over filled with juvederm plus, which ruined my smile as well. The juvederm did not respond to hylurindase, and almost every doctor told me either i wasnt injected with juvederm or my face had always been that way. I remember searching on this site to see if anyone had similar complications, but it seemed people with this type of problem had filler placed under their eyes. You were the only person on here who had issues with filler around the mouth like me. I'm currently giving my face a break in hopes it will somehow resolve on its own in the next few months. What treatments are you considering? Have you tried any lasers? That was going to be my next step. It's so scary to trust another doctor with your face after one doctor messed it up.

i love your username the rs5 is one of my favs hehe

I've been having the same issue with juvederm plus. I had the injections to dissolve it three times but am still left with parenthesis around my smile. I recently went to a top dermatologist to correct this and he has suggested sculptra (more filler which scares me). Have you had any luck?

the last thing u wana do is get more filler in your lips. and DO NOT inject any product in your lips to dissolve them , they actually ruin ur lips and dont help at all. the only think u can y\do is wait, if he really did inject juvederm in your lips then they should dissolve on their own, but if he lied and injected insteadsome permanent chinese stuff then unfortunately it will not dissolve instead it will be embedded in the flesh of your lips. and the only thing u can do then is go to a great plastic surgeon and have him remove them by cutting them away and giving u a beautiful lip. THERE IS HOPE. BUT DONT INJECT anything , most doctors will advise you to do so because they want ur money thats all. there is a doctor in texas who is famous for this lip surgery , i googled his work , it seems great, i forgot his name ii will ask my sister if you want just let me know

Thanks. That would be great.
His name is dr lam,just google dr lam lip reduction surgery,it will show up immediatley. Dont worry u can solve it ! Let me know what happens !! Xoxo
I actually reached out to that doctor but they said there was nothing they could do.
I am surprised they said this ! Did u send them a picture of ur lips? Listen i think u shuld go to the best plastic surgeon in ur area,let him c u up close,and take his advice. And ofcourse research whatever he tells u to do online,before u agree. But im still convinced surgery is the best option. But remember don inject anything ! If u want u can email me a picture of ur lips and ill ask a plastic surgeon here,an ill let u kno what his advice is. Let me kno what happens
I sent them pictures, but no doctor wants to deal with this mess. It was injected into my lips and smile lines and being that I'm only 29 and didn't actually have smile lines I now have clumps of the product on both sides of my face. How were you able to tell that it was silicone? It feels hard and did not respond to the enzyme to remove it. This is so scary!
i am honestly shocked that this is how doctors are reacting , instead of helping u!! i really feel ur frustration i had beautiful lips, the doctor injected some bad stuff into my lips and he ruined them !! i still have those 2 smile lines ur talking about , i am now 24 and still they didnt go away. but my sister had surgery to remove the stuff from her lips and they look BEAUTIFUL thats why i know there is hope for u , and u shuldnt giv up. i wana help u. my mom is going to a plastic surgeon today , i will make sure to ask him on the phone, what could be done in your case. so from what i understand , not only do u have some hard product in your lips , but also in your face . stay strong , i will ask today and let u know.
Thank you so much. I can't believe I let someone do this to my face.
Trust me i feel the exact same way. I forgot to tell u that u can look up the laser thing i told u about on youtube ull find videos of it.gd luck
What laser were you talking about? I have this all over my face after 13 months so it does seem like silicone. It was in juvederm packaging but may have been counterfeit.

Hi! We had a patient come to our office with edema under her eye after a Juvederm Injection (2 years ago). Our experienced physician injected hyaluronidase to the area in small quantities. One week post treatment she has at least a 50% reduction. My advice is to contact the manufacturer Allergan and launch an adverse reaction report. They have a list of physician's in your area whom are experienced in hyaluronidase injections. We are in Florida not close to you unfortunatley. Wish you the best of luck!

I CAN HELP :)
i have been injecting my lips ever since i was 16..one of my Drs try to cheat me by putting a chinese medicine in.he left me with horribly looking JOWLS . i tried injecting a medicine which was supposed to remove all the silicone and make the jowls disappear.but all it did was make my lips smaller and droopier !! do not believe that these injections will get rid of anything
i then was told by a Dr that in order for me to remove the jowls and the puffiness around my mouth area, i must have surgery where incisions will be made to remove the juvederm, i removed them all from my lips and all the puffiness and the jowl where removed completely. good luck :)
She injected in and around the corners of the mouth... said she wante to "widen my smile," i had no clue what that entailed until I saw the result. That part hasnt gone away but most of the lips have dissolved. One doctor suggested I formed scar tissue from where she injected, while another said I could have formed my own collagen. Disaster.
widen your smile? beware of ANY doctor who wants to change anything about you! a good dr will preserve the natural beauty and only enhance it as WE the patient see fit. I went to a PS once who wanted to slice up my face in my 30's, wanting to give me brow lift, upper and lower blepharoplasty... i couldn't believe it! so many people tell me how beautiful my eyes and eyebrows are. i left his office and never went back! avoid doctors who want to change your appearance.
Hi Everyone,
Wondering how you all are doing now? Maybe you have all moved on to a brighter time in your lives, which is my hope. If any of you still post on real self regarding your progress, I would love to hear from you. You re all inspiring and knowledgable in all of your comments. Thank you for that!!
I have had Juvederm to my lips several times and I am somewhat confused about your issue. Did your doc inject it NOT JUST in your lips but around your lips/mouth as well? I hope it goes away soon, it probably will within the upcoming months. The lips disappear the quickest after an injection of Juve or Restylane compared to other facial areas.
I injected my lips over a year ago and it is still there and as beautiful as ever. :)
Can you tell me where exactly did she inject? Thanks so much!
I have got some super photos of the disgusting bunching of loose skin under my eyes that I would like to post too. What did we let these "medical professionals" do to us???!
want to see the photos!