Indentation on Side of Nose After Rhinoplasty

I recently had nose surgery to decrease the width...

I recently had nose surgery to decrease the width of my nose. I still have a long way to go to see the change in size, because presently, although more narrow, it appears around the same in overall size.

The two biggest cons to having surgery is not being able to smile for a few weeks, and having to wait for the end result.

I recently had my nose done. My had my nasal...

I recently had my nose done. My had my nasal bones brought in, a small bump removed, the tip reduced and the my nostrils brought in. It is now day 14 and I have dent on one side of my nose, which appeared the day after my cast came off and seems to be getting more indented as time passes on. The indentation begins around half way down my nose- on the right side of nasal bone, and ends around half way down the side tip of my nose. I am wondering if this is normal, and if the dent will get better on it's own or what can be done to fix it.... although I know I need to wait for a final result which I realize won't be for at least another year or two.

Please tell me how long did it take for your dent to go away?
I am also post op of a rhinoplasty. I made a month and 5 days today. I have accepted to be patience cuz I also have a dent on the right of my nose, which freaked me out. I spoke to my PS and he told me it takes time for the swelling to go down and that everything will even out. He said to don't worry the dent will disappear. So I am optimistic and hoping for the best. LN
I'm happy to say that after the swelling went down, so did the indent and I'm perfectly happy with my results! Try not to stress too much…i was pretty psychotic haha after my nose job because i thought I looked like michael jackson…i cried hysterically when my ps took the dressing off my nose. I had to call him months later and apologize of my reaction--Im really happy with the results!
Thanks for sharing that info, greatly appreciate it. Can u please tell me for how long did you have the indent ? Happylove.
Hi 84anon, I'm happy to hear that your dent went away after the swelling went down. It gives me hope cuz I am hopeful that mine will also go away as the swelling goes down. Patient is a virtue so as the saying goes. Easier sad than done. I look constantly at the mirror hoping for a miracle that it will be gone, but I have to stop stressing and stop thinking people are staring at my dent. I just can't wait until it is gone. I will stop stressing over this dent and live normally as if it wasn't there. Happylove.
May I ask how your dent is doing now? I have same issue on my left side. Going will all even out.
This is so good to hear. Thank you! What an emotional rollercoaster this surgery had been :( I have an indent now, I'm 10 weeks out, going and praying with ask my might that it all evens out. I have put my doc thru crazy too so don't think it's just you. :-)
I have the same problem - one side of my nose look gorgeous exactly the way I wanted it but my right side has a HORRIBLE dent in it. I am terrified it wont go away because it looks really bad - I try to fill the crevasse with makeup but I feel like people are staring at it. Is there any type of injectable that could help it? Or perhaps an implant? I'm really upset with it!
Hi! i want to know if your nose got better with time? I have a dent in one side of my nose and i feel exactly the same!
I just had my cast removed two days ago, and am seeing a small indent toward the tip of my nose. My doctor said that it will go away, however I'm concerned that it will not. I'm still pretty swollen, so theres a chance it could. Just wanted to see what your outcome was and if the dents eventually went away.
Hi Kbishop,
It's been over 2 years now since my surgery and surprisingly my dent did go away. My dent was pretty bad going down 3/4 of my nose... I thought that there was no way that it could ever get better but it did. Although it took some time before it change.

After my dent appeared to go away it would reappear every time it was really cold out. Eventually that completely went away as well. It was as if the cold air made my nose contract and my nose to indent. Kind of like sucking the air out of a plastic bottle only with one side of the bottle normal and one side of the bottle indented. And the weird thing was that I was able to feel it being sucked in. Another thing that concerned me for a long time was that I had numbness on the bridge, side and tip of my nose for at least a year to year and a half. I really thought that it was never going to go away but it did. And last but not least my smile was weird (horrible) for a really long time (over a year) and now it's back to normal.

The doctors don't tell you about all these changes that you will/can possibly go through after surgery. Had I known all that I may have chickened out, which is probably they don't share this information. My best advise is to be patient and try not to freak out (easier said than done, I know! lol), it takes a lot of time for it to heal completely but it will.

For me, once I stopped obsessing over my nose (staring at it and checking it in the mirror every 5 minutes) the time seemed to have passed by much faster. Now two years later it seems like it was such a short time for my nose to heal and I am extremly happy with the results.

If you would like to send me your email I will send you an updated picture.
Hi Kbishop,

For me, once I stopped obsessing over my nose (staring at it and checking it in the mirror every 5 minutes) the time seemed to have passed by much faster. Now two years later it seems like it was such a short time for my nose to heal and I am extremely happy with the results.

If you would like to send me your email I will send you an updated picture.
you have made me feel so much less stressed!! its been just under a month post opp for me and my nose seems to be the same kind of shape and now i have a dent that i didnt have before how long approximatley did it take for yours to go away? your nose looks so pretty im really wishing mine looked like that now but unfortunalty i live in london and theres alot of dodgy surgeons unlike america where surgery is so popular that all your surgeons are good!! xx please get back to me if u can! xx
did your dent go away? I am having the same problem!
Hi, I had a nose job last month n I am freaked out cuz of a dent on the side of my right nostril. I am aware it takes time,and I have to be patient.
This is so encouraging to us out here new with our surgeries. And you are correct no doc warns of these things. I'm trying to have patience as well and remember to be thankful to have a nose that works and let time heal. But wanted to say thanks for your positive words
Have you had any progress I'm having the SAME exact issue but it's only bee 1 week for me and I'm extremely concerned
I just had my cast removed today. August 24, 2010. I am having the same results on the right side of my nose. I have dents too. I am wondering if the dents are from the cast. I don't know what the problem is but I hope things even out real soon.
Hi 84anon,
I'm so sorry, I haven't been on this website in a long while, otherwise I would have responded to your posting. I know it's been a long while since your surgery, did your dent go away as well?
Hi Love247,
How did everything turn out, did your dent go away as mine did? I am sorry that I didn't respond sooner. I haven't been on this website for a really long time until just now.

I know that it is torture not knowing and it helps to talk to other people that had already gone through the same thing... for that I'm sorry I was of no help to you or 84anon above. I truly hope that things worked out well for the both of you. Please let me know if your dent went away, I'm interested in finding out if this is a common temporary issue after surgery.
How much time past for your dent to go away? I am 3 weeks post op and I havent seen improvement on mine.