Are Rubbing "Squeaky" Noises 3 Weeks Post op Normal?

I had my BA 17 days ago(sub-muscular silicone). Immediately after the surgery I noticed a lot of squeaking and popping, which I knew was normal and it went away. However, my right breast has begun making a fairly loud rubbing noise when I do my massages or when I move my arm in certain directions. It feels like the implant is rubbing on my chest wall when it moves. Is this normal this many days out? My friend jokes that I have a squeaky toy now - funny as long as it goes away! Thanks.

Squeaky Noises After Breast Augmentation

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

Squeaky noises following breast enhancement surgery is quite common and can persist for several weeks and up to a few months in certain instances.  The cause is likely due to post-surgical fluid surrounding the implant which will absorb into your body with time. My advice would be to show patience, and always follow-up with your surgeon should you have serious concerns.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Rubbing noises after breast augmentation

+2

In the early weeks after breast augmentation there may be some fluid around the implant and a slightly larger implant pocket which allows some implant slip. The fluid will go away and the noises with it. You might give up on the massages as this may help things clear up faster.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

It usually goes away

+2

The "noise" is the shell of your implant rubbing on the rib cage, making friction and that is what makes the squeak.  There will be a smooth slippery layer of tissue forming between these two surfaces soon and the bothersome squeaking will go away. I have never had a patient where it didn't eventually disappear.

If you are still bothered by tis after 6 to 8 weeks be sure to go back to your surgeon

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Are rubbing "squeaky" noises 3 weeks post op normal?

+2

Yes, rubbing noises and sensations, as well as gurgling noises, are common after breast augmentation surgery for the first few weeks.  Gurgling noises would be due to fluid and air that has not yet been absorbed, and rubbing noises are due to the implant rubbing against the ribs, and can last until the implant pocket lining (the normal surrounding capsule) has formed.  This should resolve over the coming weeks.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

This is termed Bourdonnement (it's normal and will go away)!

+2

Your new implant sliding against the stretched moist tissues causes a friction rub (sound) that can be felt as well as occasionally heard. This is termed "bourdonnement" and was definitively described in the plastic surgery literature: "Bourdonnement and other benign temporary breast implant sounds", Annals of Plastic Surgery, Vol 43 p589, 1999.

The inflammation that causes this sound resolves as the healing process goes forward. It generally goes away in a few days to weeks, but can occasionally take longer, depending on how long your healing process takes.

Those of us who still use a stethescope for listening to patients' chests will occasionally hear distinctive sounds such as this that indicate lung/chest (pleural) inflammation that can aid in diagnosis. In your case this sound only indicates that your healing is incomplete. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Noises after Breast Augmentation?

+2

I would suggest that you have “fun with it”  since these noises do tend to go away within the first few weeks after surgery.  This is  probably related to fluid around the breast implants.

Rubbing noises

+2

Rubbing noises like you describe are normal and usualy get better with time.  if the implants are below the muscle, you are feeling them rub against the rib cage.

Squeaking and sloshing very normal

+2

Depending how much fluid there is around the implant the noises can persist for up to 2 months.  Don't be alarmed as most people can't hear the noises unless you tell them to listen.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Squeaking after Augmentation

+2

Totally normal. It does not happen in everyone but it has always gone away in all of my patients in whom it occurs. 

Ronald Schuster, MD