After Juvaderm Voluma in my Cheekbones, Swollen and Uneven Face

48hours later im starting to freak out still swollen in my left side but i can still easily see she misplaced the product plus giving my left side much more looks deformed as it is placed over my cheekbone leaving an unatural gap to the temples ..i will wait another 24hours but then should i correct the right with more product? or dissolve only my left side and do it again? My doctor said it was because i had damaged tissue ..but i think it was her first time with voluma.

Uneven results after Voluma can be due to a few different reasons

Uneven result in the first 2 to 4 weeks after Voluma maybe due to swelling which can persist up to 4 weeks due to the robust nature of this product.  Having it dissolved after a few days would be premature as would be injecting more Voluma in the opposite cheek.  Its best to wait for the swelling to subside.

Uneven results after 4 weeks is often due to physicians not being aware of pre existing facial asymmetries.  Treating both sides of the face equally in these situations will only further accentuate these asymmetries.  I find that taking good pre treatment photos, having them up during the treatment so that I can refer back to them as needed is very helpful as once swelling sets in it can be difficult to make the proper judgment as to where product is needed.  I like to use Vectra 3D photography. 

Other delayed causes can be due to an inexperienced injector placing too much product in one cheek.  In this situation, Wydase can be used to melt the Voluma but this may result in total loss of the results and having to start over. 

You made a good point about possibly needing to fill your temples to balance out the cheeks.  The temples are often hollowed out making us look older.  Filling only the cheeks will make the cheek volume look overfilled as there is not balance between the temples and cheeks.  Filling the temples at the same time will restore smooth facial curves and natural contours. 

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Juvederm, Voluma), Valient (Scultpra, Restylane),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)

Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma injections require an artistic eye.

Placing Voluma under the skin is like sculpting, you need a good eye for symmetry and balance.  One of the best things about Voluma is that the correction is immediately visible and very true to the final result. Small amounts should be injected slowly with molding to give a natural result.  Depending on the end result desired you may need more in some spots and less in others for an aesthetically pleasing result.  If your injector is new to the product you might want a more experienced second opinion.  Keep in mind you may be one of the few who gets swelling for the first few weeks, you may want to wait as long as 4 weeks to be sure that temporary swelling is not the real problem.  Good news:  it is all fixable!

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Uneven and Bumpy: Will my Juvederm Voluma Improve 48 hours following the injections?

48 hours is too soon to evaluate your injections with this or any product. There is usually some asymmetry and lumpiness for a few days, and I wouldn't try to correct it for about a month. Reversibility is a definite advantage with any of the hyaluronic acid products, but give it time before you try to get this done.

Juvederm Voluma is an excellent product for building deficient cheeks and mid-face areas and should ultimately be smooth. I prefer to take care not to over-inject during the first session. You can always come back for another session in a month or so if necxessary.

Juvederm Voluma is Excellent for Cheek, Mid-Face & Chin Augmentation, and the nonsurgical Ten Minute Necklift

Although Juvederma Voluma is not yet available in the United States in my Upper East Side N.Y. practice, I have a great deal of experience with it in my private clinic in Israel where it has been available for the past couple of years. Unfortunately, as with so many products that have received prior approvals for use in humans by their FDA equivalents in Canada, Mexico, Europe and Israel, Voluma will very likely (hopefully) receive its FDA approval for use in the States within the next year.

Voluma is an excellent product, more robust than the current volumizing fillers, such as Perlane L or Juvederm Ultra XC, and has the advantage over Radiesse in that it can be dissolved, as can all other hyaluronic acid-based injectables, by hyaluronidase. It is excellent for areas that require real volumization, such as the cheekbone area, the mid-cheek, jawline and chin. I also prefer it over all others for my nonsurgical neck rejuvenation, the Ten Minute Necklift.

Swelling and distortion of the treated areas is very common with all hyaluronic acid products, but particularly so with Voluma. What I explain to my patients immediately after treatment (before the swelling and the bruising take full effect--which can happen in the next day or so) is that "what you see right now in the mirror is what you get again when all the dust settles," i.e. when all the swelling, bruising and redness completely resolve. I make sure to alert all patients that swelling can be uneven, so that one side can swell far more than the other, but that such distortions will resolve spontaneously in a few days. I absolutely do not retreat before three or four weeks have elapsed to be sure that no asymmetry is due to persistent tissue swelling that has been slow to resolve. And I certainly would not even consider dissolving any of the material prior to that time, as well, although, to date, I have never as yet needed to use hyaluronidase for Voluma.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

As people age, the cheek area loses volume, making the cheeks flatten out and the skin droop and sag. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler that is approved to temporarily correct age-related volume loss in the cheek area. It instantly provides smooth, natural-looking results that last up to two years with optimal correction. Most of my patients have been very happy with their results using Voluma, even given the higher cost for this filler. The biggest side effects have been bruising and swelling which may last a couple of days or up to a couple weeks.

Voluma inections and swelling.

Hi there, that does sound stressful. It is not uncommon though to have swelling after Voluma injections, they are placed very deep and can cause surprising swelling, even on one side more than the other. This usually goes down, but can take a week to 2 weeks, but likely within a week. You can sleep on several pillows, and sleep on your back propped up. Take ibuprofen, if you otherwise have no health issues or contraindications. If after time has passed and you still see asymmetry definitely follow-up with your doctor and see if massage can help, or if additional filler needs to be placed in the other side. If there is asymmetry I would favor the option of putting in more filler to correct as opposed to dissolving fillers, because it is difficult to control fully how much product is going to be dissolved, and this would be a waste of filler. That being said, give it some time, and hopefully this is all just secondary to swelling from the trauma of injections.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't Freak Out -- Ask Questions!!

The first rule in any situation where you are fearful is to respond, not react.
Asking the right question might get you the response that will make you realize that a problem is not so severe, is fixable, or just happens to be within the range of normal.

Having said that, the first place to start is with your doctor.  Express how you feel.  You can even ask if it was their first time, but that doesn't mean that is the problem.  My first patients did exceedingly well.

If you feel unsure or uncomfortable with the responses, get another opinion (or two) until you are comfortable with what is happening.

Whatever you do, don't rush into "fixing" what might not be a problem.
In other words, don't bleed until you're cut...LOL

There is some swelling with Voluma and sometimes it does get misplaced, even at times by patients "playing with it"

Get the facts before you act or react.
Start with your own doctor.
Move on if you feel the need.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Voluma and Side Effects

Voluma is a great injection but results like all facial injections are dependent on the injector. If it looks uneven I would definitely return to your treating physician. If you feel that the physician is inexperienced please consult a board certified dermatologist. Voluma can be dissolved with hyaluronidase so try not to worry and have the situation corrected. 

Swelling with Voluma

In my experience, it is best to inject smaller aliquots of Voluma than other HA fillers because since it is more cross-linked, it is more firm than the other HA fillers, even if it means more injection sites.  I do see some subtle swelling in patients over the first few days, so if one is injecting smaller amounts most likely this will not be problematic for the patient.

It is unfortunate that you are noticing this swelling, but I do think you will be happier in the long run if you can put up with it for a few more days, so that you will be able to take advantage if its ability to provide long-lasting correction.  If your temples are hollowed out, you should consider having Radiesse, Sculptra, Juvederm Ultra plus, or Restylane to this area.  It js possible that Voluma will be used soon in the temples as well, but as of May 2014 physicians in the USA have not had enough experience in this area to recommend it, and the manufacturer has not studied this area.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

The short answer is that it is way too early to intervene.  Gentle massage and icing of lumps is the approach at this point.  I would follow up with the treating doctor or another experienced injector.  Voluma is composed of hyaluronic acid which is easily reversible if needed.  

Juvederm Voluma has been distributed to a limited number of only the most experienced injectors.  You must choose a doctor very carefully because Voluma treatments require a keen aesthetic eye and advanced technique.

Good luck!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon