Voluma for the Lips: Last Longer than other Fillers?

I've had Restylane, Perlane, and Juvederm 2,3 and 4 in my lips. None has lastest for more than 6 months, and I'm getting tired of having to redo it so often. I saw that Voluma is for large-area volumizing like the cheeks. But it is the same product as what's in the other Juvederms, only a thicker formulation, and it's supposed to last 18, why not in the lips? I have not been able to find any documentation about it's use in the lips. thank you.

Voluma for lip augmentation

I have also used Restylane, Perlane and Juvéderm for lip augmentation.  If you were looking for something longer-lasting, then you should consider fat grafting or lip implants. Voluma is indicated for cheek augmentation, but it may also turn out to be a good volumizer for the lip. It was released towards the end of 2013, so we can expect a lot more information to follow in this area. I would expect Voluma to be a reasonable option as it is something that can also be reversed with an enzyme if one has an undesirable result.

Voluma is not the best filler for lips

While it is true that Voluma does last longer than the fillers you mentioned in your post, it is a very robust filler that could give the lips an overfilled or even firm appearance. While it is frustrating that our current fillers for lips are not as long lasting as we would like, there are additional longer lasting lip friendly fillers in development, so stay tuned!

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

At this time we do not have the clearance to use Voluma in the lips.  If you would like a permanent augmentation, you can consider micro-droplet silicone 1000(off label use) or fat grafting. 

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Voluma use in lips not indicated at this time

Currently we are not using Voluma in lips as it is off label, we use Juvederm Ultra or Ultra Plus ( as they are softer and provide a very natural look. In our practice we usually use 1cc (1 syringe) total for lips, as that seems to give the best results, if smaller amounts are injected, as sometimes patients are afraid that their lips will be too large, the final result might not be satisfactory.  I feel that Juvederm in the proper amount can last over a year,and do seem to have a cumulative effect over time.

Voluma in the Lips?

Hi Phoebe,

Voluma use in the lips is "off label", not an indicated use of the product.  Some injectors are diluting Voluma and then using it in the lips.  We prefer to use Juvederm in the lips and have found that when properly placed, the product seems to be lasting longer and longer.  After a few injections over time we find that patients need less and less product to the point where they can go 2 to 3 years or longer without needing further injections.  As with all aesthetic facial treatments, it is most important to choose your treating physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma in lips.

Voluma can be used for the lips, though it is not FDA approved for this indication, it will also likely be firm and less natural looking. I still prefer to use Restylane or Juvederm for lip augmentation. They will likely come out with lighter bodied fillers similar to Restylane/Juvederm in the future that are more stable, and will last much longer, but until then...

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma in the lips- no

Voluma should be thought of as a lifting product. You want to use it areas of sagging skin, so cheeks are ideal. Voluma is not to be used in the lips because they need volume or shaping. There are specific techniques an experienced injector can do to use less product, so you may need to only do 1 syringe of juvederm every 6 months. The product may not last long if you are using your lips to play an instrument like the flute or if you are sucking on a straw often. The constant pursing of your lips with movement makes the product dissipate. 

Voluma in the lips?

This is not an indication for lips, and there are quite a few other products that may provide your desired results. There are also surgical options via fat and implants that you can consider for a longer lasting result. 

Voluma is Not For Use in Lips

Voluma is indicated for use at the cheeks to give lift and volume. It is a much thicker product and it is intended to be placed deeper. A thicker product can have more of a likelihood of leaving lumps and bumps if injected more superficially and in the lips. If you are looking for a longer lasting option, you may consider getting a consultation for fat grafting to the lips.