Voluma for the Lips: Last Longer than other Fillers?

I've had Restylane, Perlane, and Juvederm 2,3 and 4 in my lips. None has lastest for more than 6 months, and I'm getting tired of having to redo it so often. I saw that Voluma is for large-area volumizing like the cheeks. But it is the same product as what's in the other Juvederms, only a thicker formulation, and it's supposed to last 18 months...so, why not in the lips? I have not been able to find any documentation about it's use in the lips. thank you.

Voluma in the Lips?

+3
Hi Phoebe,

Voluma use in the lips is "off label", not an indicated use of the product.  Some injectors are diluting Voluma and then using it in the lips.  We prefer to use Juvederm in the lips and have found that when properly placed, the product seems to be lasting longer and longer.  After a few injections over time we find that patients need less and less product to the point where they can go 2 to 3 years or longer without needing further injections.  As with all aesthetic facial treatments, it is most important to choose your treating physician most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Voluma is not the best filler for lips

+2
While it is true that Voluma does last longer than the fillers you mentioned in your post, it is a very robust filler that could give the lips an overfilled or even firm appearance. While it is frustrating that our current fillers for lips are not as long lasting as we would like, there are additional longer lasting lip friendly fillers in development, so stay tuned!

Meg Cherry, MD
Birmingham Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma for lip augmentation

+2
I have also used Restylane, Perlane and JuvĂ©derm for lip augmentation.  If you were looking for something longer-lasting, then you should consider fat grafting or lip implants. Voluma is indicated for cheek augmentation, but it may also turn out to be a good volumizer for the lip. It was released towards the end of 2013, so we can expect a lot more information to follow in this area. I would expect Voluma to be a reasonable option as it is something that can also be reversed with an enzyme if one has an undesirable result.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Voluma not for the lips

+1
Voluma has been approved by the FDA for the lips. We would not use voluma for the lips. Restylane and juvederm are our preferred dermal fillers for the lips.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm Voluma is not indicated for the lips

+1
Hi Phoebe,

At this time I have not found Juvederm Voluma to be as natural in the lips because of its firmness.  My filler of choice remains Juvederm Ultra.  Results with repeat injections can last up to one year. 

I will use it however off label to:

Fill the temples
Chin augmentation
Injectable rhinoplasty
Filling the jaw line to smooth out jowls
Filling deep nasolabial folds and marionette lines

Good luck,

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
200 Stony Brook Court, Newburgh, New York
Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon
Clinical Professor New York Presbyterian Hospital
National Education Faculty (physician trainer) for:
Allergan (Juvederm, Voluma), Valient (Scultpra, Restylane),
Cynosure (Cellulaze, Precision Laser Lift) & Solta (Fraxel, Thermage)

Ran Y. Rubinstein, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for the Lips

+1
Voluma is a new cross-linking HA form of Juvederm and has not been studied in the lips, although this is pending as we speak.  Without a label indication, and not enough clinical information, this should not be done at this time.  I do not think there will be major problems, but I would make sure that whoever is injecting your lips with fillers is well skilled in the use of them and well versed in injecting lips.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma in the lips

+1

It may be that Voluma may become one of the ideal fillers for the lips. Time and experience will prove it to be ideal or less than ideal. The FDA has approved the filler in the cheeks but as with all fillers that are approved for the face, experienced physicians can and do us the product off-label. The FDA does not tell physicians how to practice medicine but does decide what devices are safe for human use. This is a win-win for the patient as they can have the best minds and artists in medicine performing their procedures with the best minds and scientists in medicine assuring that the products being used are safe .

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Juvederm Voluma is FDA approved for midface only

+1

You should know that injection of Juvederm Voluma is currently FDA approved only for the midface area, and for deeper placement than other fillers. Because of it's unique structure, it does last longer than other HA products, but it is likely too viscous for the lips.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma is great, but not for the lips

+1

Voluma is a recently FDA approved dermal filler. It is a HA acid filler, similar to Juvederm. It is a thicker filler. Thus it is ideally placed in the midface (cheeks and malar area). Given its thickness, Voluma is not ideal for the lips as you are more likely to have filler defect with Voluma around the lips. Sometimes, the reason fillers "go away" faster is not the actual filler, but the amount of filler placed (i.e. too little or too much).

Sandy Sule, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon