Upturned Pig-like Nose After Rhinoplasty

I had my Rhinoplasty surgery done 3 days ago and am very concerned about my nose now. I had a downward turned tip, which I asked to be corrected. but now when i look at it, it seems to have gone totally opposite and now looks upturned like a pig's nose. I am very concerned as I have so many events to go to and i feel it's a drastic change and not a subtle one. I trusted the doctor and asked him to work with it to suit my face, but now I'm very very worried and feel people will comment. Can this still be corrected? I think I'm going to need revision surgery, but I am also very worried about it being made worse and people laughing at me. I wish I had not done this now.

Tip rotation after rhinoplasty

+8

The upturned tip you are describing three days out from rhinoplasty is perfectly normal. The swelling at the base of the nose and upper lip as well as the tape and splint are contributing to this "upturned" look. Once the splint comes off (around day 6 or 7) and the majority of the swelling resolves (around day 10), your nose will look significantly different. We usually recommend giving the nose a full year to settle down before even considering any sort of revision surgery. Do not fret! Regards, Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upturned Nose After Rhinoplasty

+6

My colleagues are right - 3 days is too early to judge your final results. Swelling, sutures, taping and splints can alter the initial shape. It is not uncommon for the tip to drop during the healing process. After 8 to 12 weeks, if you are still not happy with the tip rotation, discuss a possible revision with your surgeon.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Too Soon to Judge!

+3

Your concern is completely reasonable, it's just way too soon to judge!

In the first few days, the tip will look too high more often than not, due to the interaction of swelling, taping and the splint. The tip will often relax within minutes of removing the splint and tape.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

3 days after rhinoplasty is too soon to judge results but...

+2

It is too early to judge the results of your rhinoplasty. At three days, the swelling, dressings, and splints may have a distorting effect on the appearance. You may also feel that it looks too upturned, even though it is within normal aesthetic limits (especially if it was drooping significantly pre operatively).  The angle between the lip and bottom edge of the nose should be 95-100 degrees, so this can be an objective measurement. 

Give it a few weeks, if you still have concerns, discuss it with your surgeon.  If your nose is really too short (upturned), it will be unlikely to settle or come back down on its own. The timing for revision surgery is generally at minimum 8-12 months after surgery, but may be sooner if the surgeon feels that something should be done more immediately, or you are very distressed about your appearance.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC   

Upturned nose days after rhinoplasty: Please be patient!

+2

It's much too early to predict your final result in the first few days. Immediately after surgery the nasal structures have been weakened and need time to heal and strengthen. Often surgeons will add extra support to the nasal tip with tape in the early period to support the nose until it gets stronger, and this makes the nose look upturned.

After first-time rhinoplasty, I would give it three months before making any predictions of the final result. If after a suitable time you do desire a revision, the good news is that there probably is the right technique for you to restore the proper rotation of your nasal tip. Visit a facial plastic surgeon for a thorough evaluation.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Upturned Tip

+2

New Lady, I would just try and be very patient with the healing process. First off, as others have noted here, your bandages should still be in place that would preclude you from even seeing what your nose looks like underneath. I normally leave rhinoplasty bandages in place for about 5-6 days. Even without bandages, your nose is expected to be quite swollen and probably over-corrected in terms of the tip position. In rhinoplasty cases where we are elevating the nasal tip, most rhinoplasty surgeons will position the tip slightly higher than where it will ultimately sit. This is done because your tip will likely drop down during the healing process. This is why your nose should look upturned at this time. Be patient and trust in your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/procedures/rhinoplasty-san-diego-ca/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip position immediately after rhinoplasty

+1
I would say that 75% of the time, the tip position after rhinoplasty is of concern.  However, with time the tip will drop and should settle into a more favorable position.  I would not be too worried at 3 days, but if at 6 months there seems to be a problem then it is time to discuss with your surgeon. 

Upturned Pig nose after surgery

+1
Your concern is a common one.  After the procedure, most surgeons, including myself, will tape the nose upwards to keep the nose from falling down after surgery.  As the swelling subsides this will gradually drop so that the nose appears at the appropriate angle your surgeon set it at.  Unlike many other surgeries, swelling with Rhinoplasty takes time to resolve and it's hard to be patient but know that it will chance significantly over the next 2 weeks and continue to change for a full year.  Good Luck!

Web reference: http://www.northsideplasticsurgery.com

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1
It is very common to have a nasal tip that is upturned (rotated) following rhinoplasty.  As the healing process takes place the tip commonly settles into the appropriate position.  Final tip location is evident at one year postoperatively. 
Shreveport Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upturned "Pig Nose" Following Rhinoplasty

+1

Taping the nose in an over-corrected, over-rotated position during the first week following rhinoplasty is expected, as the surgeon is compensating for the inevitable strong force of gravity that will be pulling your tip back down after the splint comes off. Gravity can continue to pull the tip down even out to 5 months or so, although most of the downward movement will occur in the first 2 months

Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon