Repair of Left Nostril Larger Than the Right?

I want an overall nose reshaping operation including the sinus/nasal surgery on top. I have a bent/blocked/large nose & one nostril is bigger. Also my left nostril is like a kidney bean shape that curves into the tip of my nose due to a previous operation. I also have a nasal/sinus problem, blocked nose. A previous ENT surgeon in India has made my left nostril larger than my right, which took place in April 2008. Is it possible to fix this? Problem: -Deviated septum? Only a guess. -Difficulty breathing; nasal obstruction of some sort, bent nasal deformity? Only a guess. -Bent nose (dented in the left side). -Left nostril larger than the right nostril in length and width, (like a kidney bean shape, curving into the tip of my nose). -Large nostrils. -Wide nose. -Large/chubby nasal tip. -Wide bridge. -Large nose as a whole. -Left nostril is hollow and feels awkward/irritable due to previous surgery. Hoping from Surgery: -Airway clear so I can breathe. -Unblocked nose. -A straight symmetrical nose. -Less chubby nasal tip. -Narrow bridge. -Wide nose brought in. -Smaller nostrils that are less wide and flared. I want an overall nostril reduction, but not too much. -I want my left nostril adjusted in its length/width as well, so it is the same size as the right nostril again. Extra: Hope I don’t get no “piggy” effect, also hopefully the cosmetic surgery will decrease my piggy look.

Wait a year for revision rhinoplasty to correct nostril asymmetry

+3

I agree with the above surgeons. You need a consultation by an experienced expert who can evaluate your nose and make good recommendations.

Nostril asymetry can be caused by deviation of the nasal septum and or nasal bones that cause a crooked nose. Often, straightening the nasal septum or nasal bones will correct the nostril asymetry.

If your asymetry is not secondary to curvature of the septum or nasal bones, then revisional surgery on the nasal tip may be required-a much more complex procedure.

The most important issue is to find a very experienced, board certified plastic surgeon in your area who is very comfortable with secondary rhinoplasty surgery-many doctors are not.

Symmetrical nostrils is possible

+1

It is possible to make one nostril smaller than the opposite side if they are asymmetrical. Weir excisions can be done at the alar base. An alar plasty can also be done to make the nostrils look more symmetrical. The alar plasty will not make the nose look pinched or give a piggy look. Any deviated septum can also be addressed at the same time if it is causing nasal obstruction. Sinus blockage and drainage can also be addressed, but a CAT scan would need to be performed prior to any sinus surgery to delineate the extent of any chronic infections and polyps located inside the sinuses.

Medical tourism in rhinoplasty: exotic outcomes in exotic places

+1

I am sorry that you are not satisfied with your rhinoplasty, though I am facinated that you completed your procedure in India, a rather exotic and culturally rich country, especially by Chicago standards.

Cosmetic surgery, the acceptance of what is beautiful, will vary greatly depending on what part of the you happen to be and is impacted by social, cultural, ethnic and even religious influences. Patients that travel to other countries for cosmetic surgery often will discount these tremendous cultural differences that define who we are.

Here in the USA, we debate at every meeting the proper goals or aesthetics in rhinoplasty, and though the country is shrinking thanks to greater communication, there still is a difference as to rhinoplasty results depending on where in the country you received care. There has been a New York rhinoplasty, a Dallas rhinoplasty, and even a Chicago rhinoplasty in my years of practice. Considering breast augmentation the result you receive in London will not be the same as in Las Vegas. Liposuction in Miami will not be the same as in Chicago, and concerning injectables and lip enhancement the result in Boston is certain to different than that in Los Angeles.

Your question reflects very specific goals that you hope to accomplish with secondary rhinoplasty. All may be realistic and obtainable goals. I suggest to you a visit to a local well qualified cosmetic surgeon with whom you can best hope to understand each other and work toward aesthetics matched to who you are and where you are in life. Computer imaging can get you off to a good start.

Best of luck.

Choose your Revision rhinoplasty surgeon carefully

+1

I would recommend you talk to a good revision rhinoplasty surgeon, possible several, and review their results, especially from the patients with a problem similar to yours. You can definitely get in improvement in the overall shape of your nose. Good communication with your surgeon, possibly previewing computer imaging, can help you understand how much of an improvement is possible, and whether you will be happy with an outcome.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

It seems that you need a full rhinoplasty consult with a good clinical exam specialy for the breathing component. A secondary rhinoplasty is better done after one year at least from the first surgery. Make sure you communicate all your expectations with your plastic surgeon. Good luck

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Nasal reduction for asymmetry

+1

First, some asymmetry is normal. Nasal reduction width and flare can be performed. They are relatively straighforward procedures. In terms of debulking the nostrils or bringing out the underlying contour, it can be very difficult in thick-skinned noses.