How Long Should I Be off Accutane Before Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery?

I am a 28 male, 6'1, 190lbs. I just completed a 5 month cycle of Accutane 40mg/60mg/80mg/80mg/80mg. How long do I have to wait to have Revision Rhinoplasty including nostril revision due to Alarplasty complications after my first Rhinoplasty over 2 years ago. I have met with 3 Plastic Surgeons and they have all said that they would perform surgery after 1 Month off Accutane, while the Dermatologist is "recommending" 6 months. I want to have surgery ASAP. What do you think?

Revision rhinoplsty and Accutane

+2

Hi John,

The medical literature has plenty of evidence suggesting you would be best served to wait at least 6-12 months following stopping the Accutane before you undergo revision surgery.

It is better to be safe and conservative to avoid unwanted sequale and complications.

Good Luck,

Dr. Sajjadian

Wait at least 6 months after stopping Accutane before having any facial surgery

+2

John Doe,

I agree with your dermatologist.

Accutane inhibits the growth and function of sebacious gland cells in your skin.

After any surgical skin incision, healing and the growth of new skin cells comes from new cells created by the sebacious glands on your facial skin.

If your sebacious glands are inhibited from producing new skin cells, then your skin healing will be delayed.

Doctors may want to argue the point but the most widely accepted recommendation is that you wait six months after Accutane before having facial surgery. If I am doing laser resurfacing, I often wait a year if the skin has been thinned by the Accutane.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Use of Accutane before and after rhinoplasty

+1
If Accutane is needed for a patient who is undergoing a rhinoplasty, ideally it should be started about a month or so after the surgery. For the rhinoplsty candidates who have used Accutane already waiting minimum 6 months and preferable a year would be optimal.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Accutane

+1
You absolutely want to make sure that the sebaceous glands that are inhibited by Accutane are fully functioning before having a scar.  The problem with Accutane is it can create poor wound healing and scarring if it isn't out of your system completely.  In general, most surgeons will wait 6 months but there are several that would wait a full year before operating on someone with recent accutane use. 

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Accutane use before surgery

+1

If you are thinking about Rhinoplasty surgery and are on Accutane, be aware that you should stop taking the medication 6 months prior to surgery and in some occasions 12 months prior.  Be sure to let your Doctor know that you are taking the medication because it can delay your healing.

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Accutane and Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Follow the recommendations of your dermatologist.  Accutane can significantly affect the natural healing cycle at the cellular level.  You should delay surgery for at least 6 months prior to rhinoplasty.  Patience is a virtue in this case!!

Amit B. Patel, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long after stopping Accutane can I have Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I would have a patient wait for at least 6 months and 12 months is preferrable after completeing Accutane.  Accutane has been shown to possibly increase scar tissue formation which is an issue with Rhinoplasty and even more so with revision Rhinoplasty.  IMHO, better safe than sorry....I'd wait longer than 1 month and stick with the 6-12 month rule that i have followed for over 20 years of performing Rhinoplasty.

Wait to do any kind of surgery for 6-12months

+1

Accutane is a wonderful drug. Wound healing during and after its use have been a problem. It is going to be a while before all the cysts have settled out and your skin is in its improved state. Protect from the sun, moisturize  and wait.

You will want to make an appointment to speak with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to get further information. I hope this information has been useful to you.
Jon I Sattler, MD, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

COSMETIC SURGERY AND ACCUTANE - WAIT 6 MONTHS

+1

the standard recommendations are to be off accutane for at least 6 months.

don't forget you want the best results, so you need the best healing possible.

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Accutane and Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Accutane is a drug which inhibits wound healing and most surgeons and dermatologist recommend waiting six to twelve months after stopping it before having any elective surgical procedure.  I understand your desire to have your initial procedure revised as soon as possible, but you must also focus on getting the best result from your revision surgery.  If your body is not able to heal the skin properly, you may end up with visible scars or wound breakdown that will compromise the cosmetic result.

Kristin Egan, MD
Manhattan Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon