Should I Have Worn a Compression Garment After my Thigh Lift?

I had a TT and thigh lift 8 weeks ago. I went home from the hospital with a compression garment for my tummy but I was not told to wear one for my thighs. I was told to stay mobile to prevent blood clots. At one week I was driving and even grocery shopping. I am very worried that something has come undone with my left thigh. My PS says that it is too early to tell. Would I have a better result if I had worn a garment? I am also worried about my tummy bulge but my PS says it is not a seroma.

A COMPRESSION GARMENT AFTER THIGH LIFTS MAY REDUCE EDEMA AND PROMOTE HEALING

+1

Every plastic surgeon does procedures somewhat differently and their postoperative care is also different.

For the thigh lifts I perform I always use compression.  Your compression garment will go from ankle or midcalf all the way up to the sternum.  Thus I use one garment that compresses the abdomen and calves. 

I place this garment on my patients at the end of their thigh lift and you wake up in the recovery room with the garment on.  Typically I have my patients wear their garment for approximately 3 to 4 months after an inner thigh lift. 

I believe garments are important for thigh lifts because they reduce the chances of edema, wound break down and significant swelling.  I also think they flatten the scar and lead to better scar cosmesis in the end.  At this point in time I would contact your surgeon to see if application of silicone cream or strips may improve the quality of your medial thigh scars.

Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Early post op concerns

+1

Dear Kayrb,

Thank you for the photos.  I believe that it is too early to say allot about a final result in your tummy tuck.  I explain to my patients that swelling, especially in the lower abdomen, will be minimal in the AM but worse at the day's end for around 4 months post op.  Generally garment use often depends if concomitant liposuction is done.  Skin resection alone would not demand a garment and often garments can be implicated in wound friction and breakdown especially in your groin crease.  There is no right answer to your question but I am glad your plastic surgeon feels that there is no seroma.   I would encourage you to let your plastic surgeon examine you again soon and let he or she address your concerns.  Good luck.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal swelling 8 weeks following tummy tuck and question regarding wearing a garment following thigh lift

+1

There are pros and cons for wearing a garment following a thigh lift so there is not one definitive answer. Ideally, it can provide some compression to help manage swelling as well as provide support and comfort but it can also cause other significant problems that can lead to, for example, skin loss or swelling lower down.

As regards the swelling in your abdomen, even without a seroma, this can be present for several months following a tummy tuck and will fluctuate throughout the day. Most of the time it is fairly easy to detect a seroma of any significant size.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD