Why Do I Have to Cream the Scars After Thigh Reduction Surgery?

why do I have to keep creaming the scars after my inner thigh and arm skin reduction and how long for ? thanks marisa

Scar management after thigh reduction surgery

+1

Great question Marisa. The tradeoff of having better a contour to your thighs with thigh reduction surgery is the scars that result. The best way to minimise these scars is to adhere strictly to your doctor's recommended scar management techniques. Techniques vary but massage, compression garments and taping are common components. In most cases the techniques are recommended for 6-8 weeks, although troublesome scars will benefit from longer treatment. Your scars will continue to mature for 1-2 years.

Good luck! JT

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Topical scar treatment after surgery

+1

Massaging topical moisturizer and hydrocortisone creams into a scar after any surgery is an important part of any cosmetic surgery.  These products will aid the softening and fading of the scar.  the physical massaging action will help stretch the collagen fibrils which cause the scar to feel tight and hard.  Topical silicone scar treatments can also help in this regard and I use them all in my practice as a routine.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Massage Scars

+1

Massaging the scars can help break up scar tissue and reduce the thickening of the scar. There are many products available like mederma, skin aesthetique, or biocorneum that work well on these types of incisions. Keep massaging, it will benefit your healing in the long run!

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Scar treatment after cosmetic surgery

+1

Massaging the scars after surgery is good to get the best possible scar.  I recommend Mederma 4x/day for 8 weeks.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS