When Can I Exercise My Abs After BL/BA?

Hi, I had ba/bl 9 weeks ago (275cc both sides,right brest: inverted T scar and implant over muscle; left breast was smaller: lollipop scar and implant under muscle). Left side is still pretty painful in the morning, but it doesn't hurt every day. How long should I wait to start exercise my abs? Thank you

Wait 4-6 weeks after breast augmentation and lift to do vigorous strenuous abdominal exercises.

+3

Thank you for your question. Of course it is important that you follow the instructions of the plastic surgeon who performed surgery.

Abdominal crunches and strenuous abdominal exercises do pull on and create tension in the breasts. The breast incisions following a breast lift should be dry, pink and well on their way to healing before strenuous abdominal exercises. Since you are still having pain I would suggest that you wait until you're not having pain before doing vigorous abdominal exercises.

Exercise after breast augmenation

+2

Exercising your abdomen can be difficult after breast augmentation surgery. This is because, when the implant is put under the muscle, part of that muscle has been cut and sutured in the procedure. The abdominal muscle is attached to that muscle which is why it hurts to sit up from a lying position after surgery.  It is generally best to wait 3-4 weeks after surgery to start exercising the abdominal muscles. Start slowly; if it hurts a lot, wait another week.  If you do OK, slowly increase the number of repetitions until you are up to your normal workout.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Exercise Abs After BL/BA

+1
Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

After six weeks

+1
Normally, I recommend patients start cardio and lower body training after three weeks. Upper body weight training and push-ups have to wait until six weeks after surgery. Any strenuous exercise too soon will increase the risk of complications.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Exercise after breast augmentation with lift

+1

I advise all my patients to wait 6 waits after surgery before exercising.  And when they start exercising, I advise them to take it easy in the beginning and gradually increase their activity every week. It's ok to feel soreness, but if you feel any pain, you should stop immediately.

Of course, it's best to follow up with your plastic surgeon and discuss this issue with him/her. I hope that helps. 

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Activity after cosmetic breast surgery

+1

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 4 weeks after breast augmentation and lift procedures.  After 4-6 weeks, I clear my patients to resume activity as tolerated.   You are 9 weeks out, so you should be OK with abdominal exercises.  But please check with your surgeon.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Abdominal exercise after breast augmentation

+1

Post-operative care/recommendation varies surgeon to surgeon.  I usually allow my patients to exercise (including abs) 4 weeks after breast augmentation with/without breast lift.  I think 9 weeks is plenty.  However, you may also want to ask your plastic surgeon.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Exercising After Breast Surgery

+1

I usually allow my patients to resume all levels of activity 6-8 weeks post-op (depending on their healing progress).  At 9 weeks post-op you should be adequately healed to resume abdominal muscle exercises assuming that you had an uncomplicated recovery.  While these are my recommendations, you need to discuss this with your plastic surgeon to confirm his/her particular post-op activity protocol.  Stay healthy!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Abs

+1

You should be ok with abdominal exercises, however, prior to getting back into the gym, please check with your PS to make sure that you are on the right track to getting back to working out

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast surgery?

+1

Always best to check with your surgeon but at this time in your recovery, you should able to do abdominal wall exercises without difficulty. You may find that the chest wall muscles may be sore if these are activated during  exercise.