What Can I Do For a Wound that Won't Heal 8 Weeks Post-Op BA Under the Fold?

Just when I thought it was healing, I applied a hydrocolloid bandage trying to speed up the process but when i removed it, ir reopened with some pus. I have since only been putting polysporin on it and nothing else. Can i use the nexcare steri strips to help protect it from my bra?

Breast Augmentation Wound

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

Examination of your photographs would suggest that you may have a stich abscess, which is treated definitively by removal of the stich. I would contact your plastic surgeon for an evaluation and treatment.  The incision looks otherwise well.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Incision from breast augmentation won't fully heal at 8 weeks after surgery

+1

Your photos seem to indicate that the reason for delayed healing is that there is a persistent suture present that has come up to and through the skin. This is often referred to as a "spitting suture". The treatment is quite simple and straightforward: have it removed.

Contact your surgeon and have him/her inspect the area and remove the suture. That should definitively resolve your wound healing problem.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Suture healing after breast augmentation

+1

Your photos suggest suture abscess in the closure, also called spitting sutures. I believe that the material you applied may have been placed over less than clean and dry skin, and compounded the problem. Keep the area clean with soap and water, the antibiotic ointment may help, and cover lightly. The steri strip would be a mistake and trap bacteria in. Also keep in touch with  your surgeon.

peterejohnsonmd

Suture abscess wound 8 weeks after breast augmentation

+1
Hello, The most likely source of the open area is a suture that was used to close the incision. The good news is that it will heal with basic wound care. If the suture is a PDS suture it might take a little while longer to finally dissolve. The easiest treatment is to just have your plastic surgeon take out the suture in the office. This is a simple process and just takes a minute or two to accomplish. If your plastic surgeon is out of state you may be able to find a local plastic surgeon take care of that for you. All the best, Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Wound that won't heal following breast augmentation

+1

Sounds like you have a small suture abcess.  The fastest way to solve this is for you to see your plastic surgeon and have the small suture remnant removed.  It is very simple and  painless.   Removal is accomplished by grasping the suture remnant with sterile Adson forceps and removing it.  Don't try this at home.  See your plastic surgeon.  It will then heal in no time at all.  Best wishes.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast incisions will heal

+1

Unless your wound issues are progressively worsening,  your wound will heal with simple wound care.  By simple, I mean some topical antibiotic ointment and a band-aid once a day.  Since you are 8 weeks out from surgery, your implant should be secure and safe.  Your wound appears consistent with a possible stitch abscess that will resolve with tender loving care.  Try to avoid steri-strips as they will do nothing but prolong this problem for you.  If the wound progresses, you will need to see your doctor.

Curtis Wong, MD