Breast Consultation, What Would You Recommend?

I have always felt self conscience of my breasts. I have dreamed of having Breast Augumentation. I went for a consult when I was 21, but I decided I would spend the money on something else at the time... I am now currently 27, and I plan to have 2 children in the next 5 years. I am at a good time in my life right now to get breast implants, and I know I the improved self confidence would do wonders for me. I am happily married for 5 years and my husband understands how I feel. I would like to know what professionals would recommend for me. I would like to change the shape of my breasts (I feel as they are a little droopy and maybe slightly tuberous) I would like to go fuller on top as well so that my breasts don't cone outwards. I have lost 40 lbs in the past and have gained some back over the past 7 years. I am 5'2 145lbs. I have a broad chest even though I am short, and I currently wear a 38B. I am actively trying to loose weight, it is always a struggle. I would love to have decent size breasts, I am okay with having large breasts, just not huge ones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

My recommendation

+2

You certainly supplied a lot of information and the photos were helpful as well.  Still, different doctors may have differing opinions regarding your treatment based on their training and experience.  Therefore, my first recommendation would be to schedule a consultation with a couple of plastic surgeons (make sure they are legitimate plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery) so that you can get a couple of opinions from which to choose.

Judging by your pictures, I would agree with your assessment that you have slightly tuberous breasts.  While implants will add more volume to your breasts, that is all they will do.  To correct the tuberous aspect of your breasts, I would suggest a peri-areolar breast lift procedure (aka, donut lift or Benelli lift).  This will correct the tuberous aspect of your breasts, give you a slight lift, and make your areolae smaller.  If you just put in breast implants without this lift, your areolae may become enlarged even more.  The trade-off for a donut lift is that you will have a scar around your areolae. 

You mentioned that you might like to have children in the future.  With a peri-areolar breast lift with or without implants, you can still breast feed, if that is a consideration for you.  As to how your breasts might look following a pregnancy, all bets are off.  Your breasts may change a lot or very little.  It is impossible to predict.

Breast augmentation with peri-areolar lift for tuberous breasts

+2

I recommend breast augmentation with peri-areolar lift for your situation.  You do have somewhat tuberous breasts and augmentation alone won't look good.  The peri-areolar lift can raise your nipples and reduce their puffiness.  I don't believe you need to wait to until after chldren to enhance your breasts.  However, having children will cause some changes in your breasts that you may not like.  Usually the procedure won't prevent you from breast feeding, but there are no guarantees.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+2

Based on your pictures I think you may have constricted (tuberous) breasts. Some of the characteristics you may notice are: short distance from areola to inframammary folds, wide distance between breasts and relatively large "puffy" areola.

Generally, the procedure involves breast augmentation with or without areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). The implants will help improve the cleavage area as well (decrease space between the breasts).

In the most severe cases of tuberous breasts, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. 

You may want to wait until completing pregnancies/breast feeding to minimize the chances of needing additional surgery.

Timing of breast augmentation

+2

Thanks for the photos and the lengthy explanation.  You do have tuberous breasts from the front view so this makes an augmentation not as easy as in one who doesn't have tuberous breasts.  Also, if you are trying to have 2 kids in the next 5 years, why not wait until after and do it once as there is a very real possibility of needing a revision from what pregnancy might do to your breasts.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Implants for Slightly Tuberous Breasts

+2

I think that you are an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation.  The first consideration, however, is your plans to have children in the near future.  I would strongly recommend that you defer elective breast surgery until after you have gone through your pregnancies.  There is a very good possibility that your breast will go through changes with your pregnancy(s) and these changes can be easily addressed when you ae done having children.  Based on your photos alone (and without the benefit of an examination), I would recommend a subglandular augmentation with silicone gel implants, lowering of your inframammary folds (breast creases) and scoring of your breast  to allow full release of the constricted breast tissue.  I would also favor an areolar reduction to decrease the size of your areola to be more proportional to your breasts.  Wait until you are done having children so that you can achieve the optimal result.  Best of luck!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
I would suggest a peri-areolar smooth round implant placed under the gland with an areola lift to help even everything out

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC