Will Insurance Cover my Botox Injections?

am i wasting time asking insurance to cover botox? I do have terrible deep lines and it affects my ability to get good paying jobs.

BOTOX Cosmetic treatments for aesthetic enhancement...

+3

BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments for aesthetic enhancement are not covered by insurance. In some cases, medical insurance will pay for part or all of the costs of functional BOTOX® treatments if the condition to be treated is considered reconstructive, disabling or interferes significantly with the quality of your life. Common examples of this are:

• Eyelid and facial spasm
  • Migraine headaches
  • Excessive sweating (known as hyperhidrosis)

You should check with your insurance carrier to find out your benefits before having the treatment. Some insurance plans may exclude BOTOX treatments from coverage.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox for furrows is not covered by insurance but well worth it

+2

Be glad that there's a safe and effective non-surgical treatment for the problem of deep forehead wrinkles.  Botox and Dysport are a wonderful treatment for this, and it's a small investment to improve your self-esteem and job chances.

With the economy and health care reform, we should all be more worried about whether or not we'll have MD's to take care of us when we're elderly than whether or not Botox will be covered by our insurance!

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist

Botox or Dysport not covered by insurance carrier for cosmetic usage

+2

I would not waste time and energy attempting to get insurance coverage for Botox or Dysport for cosmetic indications, e.g. wrinkle reduction on forehead. Even with excessive sweating, which is a FDA-approved indication, you may have great difficulty in getting coverage with certain insurance carrier. On the other hand, if you have flexible spending account via your employer and had set aside enough fund last November, you may be able to get some pre-tax deduction if you can obtain a letter of medical necessity for medical indication such as excessive sweating or migraines.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Insurance

+2

Yes, depending on where you live, insurers willl cover hyperhidrosis treatment with Botox. Fortunately for you, since the insurance companies want you to try different non-surgical options BEFORE they pay for any surgical procedure such as micro ETS (sympathectomy), they are forced to pay for these treatments which include anticholinergic therapy and Botox. The medical provider has to make an effort to get this done for you. Often, it is much easier for cosmetic surgeons, to say that it is not covered. You may want to do your homework and call the insurance company and find out if they do cover the Botox for hyperhidrosis before you go see the physician.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Botox covered by insurance

+1
Unfortunately, your insurance probably won't cover your BOTOX injections because they are for cosmetic purposes. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Will Insurance Cover my Botox Injections

+1

Botox cosmetic injections are not covered by Insurance Carriers.  Some conditions that are treated by Botox such as blepharospasm, hyperhidrosis, and migraines may be covered by your insurance carrier but each case is handled individually.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Botos Insurance

+1

Insurance does not cover Botox when used for cosmetic purposes, such as frown lines.  Lana Long, M. D.

Lana Long, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for frown lines is not covered by insurance

+1
Botox, when used for cosmetic improvement, is not a covered service. Insurers focus on functional imorovement as a criterion for coverage and the use of Botox for facial rejuvenation is inapplicable to this definition, Botox is not an expensive procedure and I would encourage you to consult with a plastic surgeon about it's estimated cost.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

The coverage of Botox

+1

In addition to treating wrinkles, Botox has seemed to be quite the cure for other issues, such as migraines, excessive sweating also known as hyperhydrosis, or muscle spasms. These are the only cases that may be covered by insurance. Other cosmetic reasons most likely will not be covered.  

Yael Halaas, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox not covered for cosmetic reasons

+1

You are a member of the competitive workforce who seeks to have a refreshed professional appearance. Botox for cosmetic improvement is considered elective by insurance companies and therefore not covered. At times it can be covered for headaches, but requires extensive documentation and consultation with a neurologist. It has to go through an exhaustive review prior to pre-approval.

Peter Schmid, DO
Longmont Facial Plastic Surgeon