How Long Should I Wait to Get Botox After Pregnancy?

Botox post-pregnancy is safe if breast feeding?

Botox has not been clinically tested and is not FDA...

+3

Botox has not been clinically tested and is not FDA approved for use during pregnancy, in people becoming pregnant, or during breast feeding. If you are not breast feeding, Botox would be safe to use immediately after giving birth. If you are breast feeding, you should wait until you have finished breast feeding before receiving Botox injections.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

To be safe no botox while breast feeding

+1

It is optimal not to have anything (including botox) that is unnecessary during pregnancy or while breast feeding.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox while nursing?

+1

Both the FDA and Allergan, the manufacturer of botox, caution against treatment with botox in women who are pregnant or nursing. If you are or will be nursing, then the prudent thing to do would be to avoid treatment with botox entirely until your are no longer nursing. Always check with your doctor regarding recommendations in your particular case. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Botox after Pregnancy

+1

You should consider Botox only after you have stopped breast feeding. You should not get Botox anytime during your pregnancy.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Breastfeeding is best!

+1

I can definitely sympathize with you on this one!  I am a dermatologist in Texas and am currently breastfeeding my 10 month old baby boy.  While I wouldn't dream of not breastfeeding, I have to admit it is very difficult to hold off on the botox.  You know the difference it makes and if you're like me, you long to have those benefits as soon as possible especially after all the "lovely changes" the rest of your body has been going through.  I do NOT recommend using botox until you're through breastfeeding.  I know people who have done it, but it's just not worth the risk.  The wrinkles will melt away again once your little one is weaned!

Victoria W. Serralta, MD
Arlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Pregnancy or Breastfeeding

+1

In general, Botox is considered safe once you are not pregnant OR breast feeding. So, if you are breast feeding, just wait until you are done to go ahead with Botox.

Cheryl Eberting, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologist

Don't use Botox when pregnant or if breastfeeding!

+1
Botox is NOT to be injected on a patient who is pregnant or breastfeeding.  No tests/studies have been completed on pregnant or breastfeeding women therefore it is NOT recommended to use Botox during this phase.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Botox is not considered safe while pregnant or breastfeeding.

+1

There are many medications that have never been tested for safety during pregnancy or breastfeeding, because no one is willing to take the risk that there is a problem. Botox has not been tested during pregnancy or breastfeeding, but please do not take the risk that some small amount of the toxin can get into your bloodstream, and therefore into your baby.

Remember this is the toxin that causes botulism, and while safe in the small controlled dosages given for cosmetic treatments in adults, no one should put a baby at risk for beauty.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

No Botox® while breast feeding

+1

We don't use Botox® if you're pregnant or while you're breast feeding.  But with patients who have used Botox® for years in my practice, even after taking a couple of years off during pregnancy and breast feeding, they have learned not to frown and don't do too badly without it for a while.  When they're done breast feeding, they can start up again.

Mario Loomis, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

How long after pregnancy before Botox injections

+1

Botox injections should not be done while breastfeeding.  There are no studies done as to whether Botox is is safe during breastfeeding, and although the likelihood is small, it's not zero that some of it may get into the milk and be ingested by the baby.  Therefore, it is best to wait with Botox injections until you are finished breastfeeding. 

Otherwise there are no time restrictions as to how soon after pregnancy you can have Botox injections.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon