Will I Be Awake During Ear Surgery?

What kind of anesthesia is used for an otoplasty (ear surgery)? Will I be awake and aware of what's going on?

Ear surgery can be done with you awake or asleep

+3

For otoplasty, the surgery can be done with you awake or asleep. Talk to your surgeon so they discuss the options wtih you. If they do offer you the awake options, they will likely give you some type of sedation to help you relax. If you are very worried about being aware and think that you can not lay still for an hour or so, then you should choose to have anesthesia for the surgery. Good luck with your surgery.

Dr. David Shafer

Anesthesia during otoplasty

+2

These questions should be discussed with your treating surgeon.

In my San Francisco area practice, for simple otoplasty (cartilage scoring and suture correction of prominent ears) we offer local + sedation in our office or general anesthesia in our member hospitals.

Be aware that more complicated otoplasties (up to and including microsurgical reconstruction with tissue taken from the forearm or thigh and cartilage harvested from the rib) may require general anesthesia and would not be safe to perform under local anesthesia or in an office setting.

It depends on the extent of the surgery.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Otoplasty; Ear Surgery and Anesthesia Type: Local vs. Conscious Sedation vs. General Anesthesia\

+2

There are a variety of ear surgery types depending on the severity of the deformity. Some procedures are as simple as 5 or 10 minutes while others may take hours. The decision to perform the surgery under various types of anesthesia, including local anesthesia, conscious sedation, or general anesthesia, depends on surgeon preference, the comorbidities of the patient (associated diseases), length of surgery, and complexity of the surgery.

Routinely, it is best to undergo the surgery under adequate anesthesia in order to allow precise manipulation and correction of the ear deformity.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Otoplasty & Anesthesia

+1

There are several types of anesthesia that can be used during otoplasty.  Most commonly, otoplasty is performed with local anesthesia with and without I.V sedation or under general anesthesia.  Both are excellent options with high satisfaction rates amongst patients.

Our biggest priority is patient safety, and because of this, we always have an anesthesiologist present to monitor the patient when either I.V. sedation or general anesthesia are utilized.  In younger patients we prefer general anesthesia, but in older patients we prefer local anesthesia.  This allows the patient the ability to see the results before leaving the operating room.  If you have concerns about anesthesia or intra operative safety, make sure you discuss these issues with your surgeon.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Ear Surgery Done While Awake or Asleep

+1

Depending on the nature of the surgery and what is discussed during your consultation, it can either be performed while you are awake or asleep. Both options are suitable. Pain can always be managed with some type of sedative or general anesthesia.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

Otoplasty and Anesthesia

+1

Otoplasty can be performed with either general anesthesia or sedation.  The choice depends on the patient's preferences and the complexity of the surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Anesthesia for an otoplasty...

+1

An otoplasty can be performed under local or general anesthesia based on the severity of the problem, the patients age, and level of comfort.  An evaluation of the patient's medical history can also determine whether or not a local or general anesthesia is required.  Usually, the patient undergoes otoplasty under general anesthesia, but if a local is chosen, you will be awake and will usually feel no pain.  Make a consultation appointment with a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon to determine your best options, 

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty anesthesia

+1
I perform otoplasties under either sedation or even with local anesthesia in my office surgery suite. Children do require general anesthesia but adults do have the option of which anesthesia they are most comfortable with. I find that patients are cost conscious these days and are willing to endure a few minutes of pain from the local anesthesia in return for a significant saving and the ability to leave the office awake and alert shortly after the procedure is over.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Otoplasty: prominent ear repair under anesthesia

+1

Prominent ears can be repaired under local or general anesthesia and will depend on the severity of the problem, the patient tolerance and the surgeon's preference.

Anesthesia options for otoplasty (ear pinning)

+1

An otoplasty (ear pinning surgery) can be done under local or general anesthesia.  This depends on the patient and the surgeon's comfort level.  Typically younger patients will need general anesthesia since they usually are not as cooperative when awake.  Healthy adult patients can sometimes tolerate being awake for the procedure and don't mind the local anesthetic injections. The surgery can also be done with local anesthetic as well as IV sedation where the patient is in a semi-awake state but is still able to breathe on their own.

This should be discussed with your surgeon during your consultation in detail and have the procedure tailored to your specific situation.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD