Will Age Spots Return if Whitening Cream Use is Discontinued?

I've used whitening creams to completely remove the age spot on my face. Will it come back if I don't continue using it?

Age Spots and bleaching creams

+1

Thanks for the question.

In all likelihood, once the bleaching cream is stopped, the sunspots will return.  Additional treatments for age spots include IPL/Photofacials, fractionated laser resurfacing, and q-switched lasers. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist in your area that is familiar with management of photoaging. 

Warmest Regards, 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Age Spots and Bleaching/Whitening Creams

+1

Once you've managed to diminish the brown spots with whitening/bleaching cream, they will likely return if you stop using the cream.  Products containing  Hydroquinone or other agents(Kojic acid, Vitamin C, etc) to lighten the skin, help by suppressing the production of pigment  in the skin cells and will unfortunately only help as long as you are using them.

Grant Stevens, MD

Will Spots Come Back if I stop Cream?

+1

Hi 1224.  The answer is that most likely the spots will return.  The most common bleaching product is hydroquinone and after you stop using it the pigment will return.  

For a permanent solution to your issue, consider finding a local practitioner with q-switched lasers.  These are the same lasers used to remove birthmarks and tattoos and should be able to permanently remove your age spots.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD