Will Birthmark Removal on Forehead Leave a Scar?

I have a birthmark on my forehead and it's really embarrassing. I want to get it removed, but will it leave a scar?

...depends on the type of birthmark- laser may be the best option

+1
...birthmarks vary from port wine stains, thru to brown birthmarks, and raised sebaceous naevi... it really depends on the type of birth mark... 

Each type of birth mark will respond to a different type of laser. Some will go with a pulse dye laser, other with an ablative laser, some may need a Q switch laser, and some with surgery. 

So to answer your question, laser treatment, if performed carefully has a low chance of scarring.

Hope that helps, regardsDr Davin LimDermatologist, Cosmetic and Laser Brisbane, AUSTRALIA

Brisbane Dermatologist

Any excision leaves a scar. Its a a trade off

+1

Thank you for your question.  There are various ways to remove birthmarks, depending on its etiology.  For example, a birthmark caused due to a vascular problem needs a completely different treatment than a birthmark such as a mole.  More often than not, vascular birthmarks need to have some form of laser treatment.  They can require more, but a laser is generally a minimum.  Other birthmarks such as a mole, can be excised in the office with relative ease.  The size and location will determine the final outcome.  A photograph always helps but there is no substitute for and in person physical examination.  Make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for the best outcomes.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Forehead Birthmark Removal Does Not Have to Leave a Scar

+1

Depending on the type of removal you have done, it may not leave a scar.  We have successfully removed both brown and red birthmarks with lasers without leaving any scarring.  In fact, laser treatments as a norm do not leave scars.  With that said, there are some thicker and darker birthmarks that may not be good candidates for laser treatments and may require surgery.  We would suggest researching laser treatments first and then surgery if you are not a candidate for lasers. See pictures below including two forehead birthmarks.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

All surgery leaves scars

+1

Of course a birthmark removal will leave a scar but done by a plastic surgeon and keeping the scar in the horizontal lines of the forehead, the scar should be less visible than the birthmark after it has matured for a year or two.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS