When Does the Excrutiating Pain Subside After CoolSculpting?

I got cool sculpting 6 days ago and the pain keeps getting worse. It is like I have a belly full of broken glass. Is there anything I can do to ease the pain (not discomfort - PAIN) When will it subside. I can't concentrate to work it is so intense.

Pain after Coolsculpting

In a small subset of patients pain may occur that is characterized as uncomfortable and crampy. The pain may last for 4-6 weeks. We often prescribe a topical analgesic patch to ameliorate this.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain after Coolsculpting

I find that people who develop extreme hypersensitivity after Coolsculpting find that their symptoms resolve within 1-2 weeks.  There are medications that can help reduce the intensity of the treatment.  I would also recommend using compression.

Post Pain

It is not uncommon to experience discomfort after treatment. Some patients may experience minor to severe stinging, cramping and sensations of pins and needles in the area treated. This pain may start anywhere from day 3 to day 7 post treatment and may peak for a few days but then will dissipate and self resolve. Make sure to ask your practitioner to advise you on what may help if this occurs.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Pain and Coolsculpting

Most patients do not have any unmanageable discomfort post coolsculpting treatment. There is a small percentage of patients (generally less than 5 percent) who have significant discomfort or pain. Some of these cases are with patients who have a medical condition that is contraindicated for   In the cases with pain, the pain can generally be managed. In almost all cases, pain fades after 4 to 6 weeks. Contact your treating physician to alert him or her of your pain, and ask to be seen.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Cool sculpting recovery

The discomfort does resolve.  Taking over the counter tylenol or naproxen resolves this in the majority of cases.  If you have swelling that is persistent then a waist binder is helpful.

Pain Resolves Usually In 2-3 Days Following CoolSculpting

It’s not unusual for patients to experience some pain following abdominal coolsculpting. This pain is often described as dull and achy and typically improves in 2-3 days.

Rarely the pain is more severe and is characterized as sharp and stabbing. The origin, of this pain is unclear, but is probably related to traction on the soft tissue related to suction from the applicator device. It seems to be more common when the large applicator head is used.

The pain usually resolves spontaneously without treatment in 1 to 2 weeks, but occasionally may be present for 4-6 weeks.

Occasionally non- steroidal inflammatory agents such as Aleve and Motrin can be used to minimize pain. Rarely narcotics may be necessary as well. 

Pain After CoolSculpting

Pain, tenderness, tingling, discomfort are all common, normal side effects after CoolSculpting. Motrin or Aleve can help with swelling and some of the pain. I would recommend contacting your provider to see if they can write you a prescription for Lyrica or Lidoderm Lidocaine Patches to help with the pain. Both of these medications are frequently used to help with the symptoms you are presenting.

Grant Stevens, MD

Pain following CoolScupting Fat Freezing treatment

During the CoolSculpting procedure, there will be intense cooling for a few minutes. Some people find this uncomfortable, but the area soon becomes numb and people can relax and feel quite comfortable during a treatment. Following the treatment most people continue with their day normally with little to no discomfort. Over the course of a few days, some people feel mild discomfort similar to the feeling one might have after a workout. On occasion, significant discomfort has been reported. The patients who experience significant discomfort are almost always patients who have had treatment with a single large applicator administered to the lower abdomen area.  In my practice, we offer compression garments like the ones we use for patients following tummy tucks or liposuction. This has seemed to provide additional comfort and support to patients. On occasion, a patient might find relief with a non-narcotic pain medication called Neurontin.  This can be prescribed by the doctor or the physician assistants and nurse practitioners in the practice. However, most patients do not require medication following a CoolSculpting procedure.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Pain After Cool Sculpting

On rare occasion, a small percentage of the cool sculpting patients experience pain after treatment that will subside with about  2 weeks after the procedure.

Ibuprofen is recommended to help the patients deal with the transient pain they experience.

That said, it would be of your interest to contact your surgeon/physician who administered your cool sculpting treatment for a solution.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Pain after Coolsculpting

There is a small number of patients who under go Coolsculpting, especially when the large treatment head is used, who experience pain after the procedure.  This seems to occur in about 10% of these patients.  It will usually subside in a few days, however may last a few weeks.  Patients who have previously had liposuction have stated that this pain was not as bad as liposuction pain, but it still hurts.  Talk with your doctor.  Prescription pain medication is an option if ibuprofen isn't adequate.