CoolSculpting Applicator Size Difference?

I just wanted to make sure I got the best treatment, I had it done 4 days ago. I am petite but have fat in my stomach area I am about 109 pounds. The physician did not come to verify but the nurse used a small applicator on me. I wanted to know since she used the smaller applicator will I not see good results or did I not fit the larger applicator? I want to know how results differ btwn the smaller vs larger applicator? Thanks.

Coolsculpting Applicator Sizes

+2

Hi,

Currently the Coolsculpting Applicators come in 3 sizes.  There is a small, medium, and large.  The large is about 2.5x larger than the medium.  The key is to have the area you want treated sized with a template. A lot of times patients think they will need a large and I can show them with a template that a medium would fit better.  Conversely, there are patients who think that they can treat their desired area and I show them that the large would accomplish a lot more.  If the applicator does not fit, you cannot create suction and you cannot start a treatment. There is also a big difference in cost between the small and mediums which are the same price and the large.    The cost is inherent in the price that the office has to pay to the company for a non reusable memory cycle for the machine to even run.  I hope this explains why a consultation and template sizing is critical to achieving the best results!

Dr. Liu

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Applicator Size Difference

+2

Yes, there are different applicator sizes and the way the correct applicator is chosen is by seeing which one would "fit" properly around the area to be treated.  Sometimes if a large applicator is placed improperly, the results may be worse.  If they achieved a good suction / fit of the applicator, you are probably going to see some results.   Best Wishes!

Choosing the right applicator for CoolSculpting

+2

With CoolSculpting the size of the applicator will be mostly be determined by the size and contour of the bulge being treated.  The large applicator will treat a larger area and as a result more fat but some patient's bulges will not accomodate the larger hand piece.  One must have a proper fit between the applicator and bulge in order for the treatment to be done.  Finally, the larger applicator is more costly and sometimes a financial decision is made by a patient when there is a choice between the two, if cost is an issue.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

CoolSculpting Applicator Size Difference

+1
Typically, the Coolcore (the smaller suction applicator) and Coolmax (the larger suction applicator) are most often used for the abdomen. If there is an insufficient amount of pinchable fat, then coolsmooth applicator which does not utilize suction can be used. Typically, the templates for coolcore and coolmax are used in the examination process unless the area is clearly too small or too large for a particular applicator.  

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting applicator choice

+1
Yes of course this makes a difference.  The small would be appropriate based on your exam.

Please find an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the Aesthetic Society using the Smart Beauty Guide. These Plastic Surgeons can guide you on all aspects of facial surgery, breast augmentation and body procedures including CoolSculpting® tummy tucks or mommy makeovers!

Body reshaping can be performed with a cannula that removes fat via liposuction or with noninvasive technology like Cool Sculpting. With Cool Sculpting there is no cannula inserted into your body. All treatments are performed on the surface from the outside in using technology that freezes the fat. Don’t hesitate to give us a call in Austin regarding a Body Reshaping Consult at the Upper Room. On our Facebook Page there is an Interview I recently did with KVUE, a local news station in Austin, that was picked by affiliates around the United States, including Miami. During the Interview we discussed the technology of Cool Sculpting as well as it application process.

The discomfort from treatment does resolve. Taking over the counter tylenol or naproxen resolves this in the majority of cases. If you have swelling that is persistent then a waist binder is helpful.

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting Applicator Cost and Difference

+1

Hi, your question is not uncommon. CoolSculpting is a relatively new technology and there are some significant differences between the applicators. CoolSculpting now offers four applicators. Three of the applicators usually fall in the same group and price range. These are the CoolFit, CoolCurve+, and CoolCore. Each has a slightly different cup style which allows the doctor to target more specific areas. The CoolCurve+ works great on flanks, whereas the CoolFit or CoolCore might be better choices for the stomach. It depends on your body. Your doctor should be able to show you the different applicators and explain why one might be better than another.

The larger applicator is called the CoolMax. It can treat approximately 2.5 times the area of the smaller applicators and is usually priced 1.5 to 2 times more than the smaller applicator. It offers great results and is actually more economical than the smaller applicators if you are a candidate for it......but not everyone is a candidate, and if you don't draw correctly in the large applicator you will be wasting your money. Talk to your doctor and see what he or she suggests. We use Zeltiq's new Treat to Transformation (T2T) in our practice and are seeing great results with multiple treatments. Best of luck.

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Size does make a difference!

+1

Size of the applicator is chosen based upon size of the fat bulge. If the fat bulge is larger and will enable the larger applicator to grab the fat completely, then we use that, if the converse is true and it is small, then we use the small applicator. They both work but there are some nuances to treatment that your physician should be aware of when choosing applicators.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Different applicators can be used in CoolSculpting / Zeltiq

+1

Different practices may use different protocols for the application of the CoolSculpting. In my practice, either I or another physician, sees the patient in consultation and if they are determined to be a candidate for the procedure, templates are used to see which applicator fits the desired area of treatment, the best.  If an applicator is too loose, then suction will not be maintained. If using the smallest, an opportunity of fitting more tissue into the medium applicator might be missed. Often, the smallest applicator is the only one that fits the area.

Ronald Shelton, MD