How Soon Can I Go to the Orthodontics After Rhinoplasty?

I am getting rhinoplasty next Friday (May 3rd), and am due for an orthodontics appointment the second week following the surgery (week of May 12th). It is just a routine appointment where they will put new wires in and possibly a new power band, but I was wondering when it would be SAFE to go back. I feel as if the week of May 12th is too soon, and if it is when should i try and reschedule. Thanks!

It May Be a Narrow Window

+2

It looks like you have a pretty narrow window between your rhinoplasty and your already scheduled orthodontist appointment. 

My sense is you need to consult with your orthodontist who able to best advise you.  It may be wisest to see if they have a quick "pre-visit" with the orthodontist before your appointment, which is apparently only nine days after the rhinoplasty surgery. Then, your orthodontist will have a handle on what's going on and may suggest deferring the visit for another week or so.

Incidentally, the reason why it is best to wait: often, the upper lip area is swollen and sensitive, and you do not want to have any additional discomfort during your orthodontic session.

I am a veteran of orthodontic treatment by the world-famous Stanley Sherman, and I tell you that sometimes if those wires are switched a bit tightly and it can add some discomfort to preexisting discomfort from your rhinoplasty.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Consult with your doctors

+2

I cant imagine a problem but you should discuss this with both your surgeon and your dentist to be sure. Also keep in mind you will still be very sore, so comfort may be your biggest issue.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and orthodontic treatment

+2

Your nose will still be quite tender 2 weeks after the rhinoplasty procedure  so it is important not to have  your nose manipulated while undergoing orthodontic treatment. Might be best to wait a month before  the  orthodontic appointment

Orthodontic Appointment One Month After Rhinoplasty

+2

Safety is not the issue with an orthodontic appointment after rhinoplasty, comfort is. Rather than two weeks after your rhinoplasty, an orthodontic appointment a month later would be much better.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD