When Can You Start Wearing Underwire After Breast Augmentation?

I am 4 weeks post breast augmentation, when is it safe to wear underwire bras ?

Underwire bra after surgery

There are two reasons why some plastic surgeons prefer to wait before a patient starts to wear an underwire bra.  1)  the lower breast tissue is tight and it would benefit for gravity to stretch the lower breast tissue   2) the incision falls where the underwire also falls and irritation can occur.  If neither of these issues are the case then one can start wearing an underwire bra.

Dr Repta

Breast Augmentation - When Can You Start Wearing Underwire After Breast Augmentation?

It depends on how the healing is going, and where your incision is.

You should, of course, discuss this with your own plastic surgeon.  I generally request that patients wait until about 4-6 weeks after the surgery (less if a periareolar - nipple - incision was used).  Early on, with any bra, I recommend placing a maxi pad on the inside of the bra to cushion the area around the incision.

However, the entire concept of an underwire bra is less important with implants, as the volume of the breast is already elevated (even with the same size, implanted breasts are generally much higher than unimplanted breasts would be, so the wires are not necessary to the same degree).  Finally, if it's the underwire BRA that you want to wear (ie, the nicer bra, rather than the wire itself) you can simply clip the fabric of the bra, remove the wire, and go ahead and wear the bra (when YOUR surgeon says it's okay!)

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Underwire bra after a breast augmentation.

In my practice, if the implants were placed above the muscle, I allow the patient to wear them with no restrictions after 4 weeks. In the case of implants below the muscle, I allow them to wear the underwire bra for a few hours per day starting at 6 weeks, and increase it slowly so that after 2 months they are wearing it as much as they want.

Julio Garcia, MD

When can I wear underwire bra after breast augmentation?

The answer depends on several factors, including the position of your implants relative to your nipple areola complex, the incision (scar) site, and your surgeon's recommendation.  In general, you can wear an underwire bra when your surgeon says it is OK to do so.

Steve Laverson, MD

Under Wire Bra After Augmentation

I usually ask my patients to wait 3-4 weeks after surgery or when the infra mammary incisions are sealed and not painful.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bras After Breast Augmentation?

Every surgeon's routine is likely to be different so please check with your surgeon for specific advice.

I asked my patients  to stay away from underwire bras  until they have complete sensation along the lower poles  of the breasts. I asked them to do this to avoid under wires irritating the skin (without the patient feeling it).  Most patients  are able to start wearing underwire bras somewhere between 3 and 6 months postoperatively.

When to wear underwire bra after Breast Augmentation?

Dear 7499anon,

I recommend to my patients to wait for several weeks before restarting the use of an under-wire bra after a breast augmentation.

This is particularly important if the incision was placed in the infra-mammary fold, and the incision area is still numb.  This is a precaution to best avoid any disruption of the incisions healing.

Please consult with your surgeon beforehand to avoid any complications.

Thank you, best wishes,

S.P. Maggi, MD, FACS
Austin Plastic Surgery Center

drmaggi.com

Underwire Bra Usage Following Breast Augmentation

We generally avoid using underwire bras for six to eight weeks following breast augmentation. There are two reasons for this approach. First, when patients undergo sub muscular placement of breast implants, the pectoralis major muscle may undergo spasm in the early postoperative period. This may force the implant in an upward direction and lead to malposition. When this situation arises, we utilize compression to force to the implant in a downward direction. An underwire bra would have the opposite effect.

Another reason for avoiding underwire bras in the immediate postoperative period is the potential for the bra to irritate a fresh surgical incision. An inframammary incision would be directly beneath the underwire and might lead to irritation of the incision. After six to eight weeks, wound healing and muscle spasm should no longer be an issue. In most breast augmentation patients, it’s reasonable to resume the use of underwire bras at this time. 

Underwire Bras After Breast Augmentation

You should probably talk to your surgeon to find out why they recommended that you wear an underwire bra. Generally, I recommend patients avoid wearing underwire bras for the first two months following surgery because they can cause complications like irritation of your incision lines and displacement. For advice suited to your situation, however, please ask your surgeon.

Underwire bras after surgery

I have my patients wear a post surgical garment for six weeks after surgery.  At their six week follow up appointment, patients are assessed and recommendations are made as to when they may start to wear an underwire bra.  It is important to have sensation in that area of the breast so you are able to feel if the bra is too tight.