When Can You Start Wearing Underwire After Breast Augmentation?

I am 4 weeks post breast augmentation, when is it safe to wear underwire bras ?

Underwire bra after a breast augmentation.

+3

In my practice, if the implants were placed above the muscle, I allow the patient to wear them with no restrictions after 4 weeks. In the case of implants below the muscle, I allow them to wear the underwire bra for a few hours per day starting at 6 weeks, and increase it slowly so that after 2 months they are wearing it as much as they want.

Underwire bras after surgery

+2

I have my patients wear a post surgical garment for six weeks after surgery.  At their six week follow up appointment, patients are assessed and recommendations are made as to when they may start to wear an underwire bra.  It is important to have sensation in that area of the breast so you are able to feel if the bra is too tight. 

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - When Can You Start Wearing Underwire After Breast Augmentation?

+2

It depends on how the healing is going, and where your incision is.

You should, of course, discuss this with your own plastic surgeon.  I generally request that patients wait until about 4-6 weeks after the surgery (less if a periareolar - nipple - incision was used).  Early on, with any bra, I recommend placing a maxi pad on the inside of the bra to cushion the area around the incision.

However, the entire concept of an underwire bra is less important with implants, as the volume of the breast is already elevated (even with the same size, implanted breasts are generally much higher than unimplanted breasts would be, so the wires are not necessary to the same degree).  Finally, if it's the underwire BRA that you want to wear (ie, the nicer bra, rather than the wire itself) you can simply clip the fabric of the bra, remove the wire, and go ahead and wear the bra (when YOUR surgeon says it's okay!)

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

When can I wear underwire bra after breast augmentation?

+2

The answer depends on several factors, including the position of your implants relative to your nipple areola complex, the incision (scar) site, and your surgeon's recommendation.  In general, you can wear an underwire bra when your surgeon says it is OK to do so.

Steve Laverson, MD

Under Wire Bra After Augmentation

+2

I usually ask my patients to wait 3-4 weeks after surgery or when the infra mammary incisions are sealed and not painful.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bras After Breast Augmentation?

+2

Every surgeon's routine is likely to be different so please check with your surgeon for specific advice.

I asked my patients  to stay away from underwire bras  until they have complete sensation along the lower poles  of the breasts. I asked them to do this to avoid under wires irritating the skin (without the patient feeling it).  Most patients  are able to start wearing underwire bras somewhere between 3 and 6 months postoperatively.

Underwire Bras After Breast Augmentation

+1
Underwire bras can cause unnecessary complications and should be avoided for the first two months following surgery. These complications include irritation caused by the wire rubbing against the skin (something that you may not notice due to possible numbness). Patients who have an infra-mammary incision should be especially careful as an underwire bra is capable of displacing the implants if it is worn too often or too soon. The underwire is often improperly shaped and provides inadequate support of the breast shortly after surgery. You can start wearing an underwire bra 2 months after surgery if it is comfortable. For advice suited to your situation, however, please ask your surgeon.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Underwire bra after surgery

+1

There are two reasons why some plastic surgeons prefer to wait before a patient starts to wear an underwire bra.  1)  the lower breast tissue is tight and it would benefit for gravity to stretch the lower breast tissue   2) the incision falls where the underwire also falls and irritation can occur.  If neither of these issues are the case then one can start wearing an underwire bra.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Underwire Bras after Breast Surgery

+1

I am not a big fan of underwire bras following breast surgery for the first 6 months.  Whatever the breast surgery, the inframammary fold is affected.   There are also incisions that are often at the bottom of the breast which can be irritated by the wire.   Many patients of mine have put their underwire bras on and complain of the wire hurting their breasts, unlike before the surgery.   I suspect that is because there is inflammation in this area and it causes discomfort.  So i advise the patients to wear either jogging/athletic bras or supportive bras that do not have wires.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Underwire bras after augmentation

+1

Each surgeon has a different routine and each patient is different. You should check with your surgeon who knows your case best. I tell my patients that they can start wearing an underwire bra when it is comfortable for them and this varies from fairly soon after the surgery to never. Some women don't ever find underwires comfortable.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon