Under MAC Anesthesia Would I Have Talked During the Time Being Sedated?

I had under the muscle 350-380 cc breast augmentation. I was sedated with MAC anesthesia which I know for sure one part of it was ketamine. Would I have talked during this sedation? Also how long does it take for the patient to go under so to speak.

Talking Before Surgery

+2

Sometimes patients will be able to speak for 10 seconds after receiving intravenous medication. Usually  speech is unintelligible/incomplete. Unless you are a very fast talker and have highly guarded national security secrets you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Breast Augmentation - Under MAC Anesthesia Would I Have Talked During the Time Being Sedated?

+1

It depends on how deep you were, and how long it took to get you there.

In general, if you're deep enough to have breast implants, particularly under the muscle (which are more painful than above the muscle) you're unlikely to be doing any talking during most of the procedure.  However, at the beginning and the end of the procedure, for a period varying anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, you may, in fact, have talked.  Most likely, your speech would have been unintelligible, or multiple words run on together, or things that don't make sense.  The sedation is a disinhibitor, so it may have tended to have you just speak a few words or thoughts that you might not normally...which doesn't mean you said anything bad, hurtful or inappropriate.  If anything it was probably just a few words or phrases that were effectively non-sensical.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Do People Talk Freely Under MAC Anesthesia ?

+1

Depending on the patient and the mode of IV sedation, some patients DO talk during procedures. Sedation removes much of our social inhibitions and lets some people "come out" more than they would otherwise. The topics of such talking is hardly germane to the surgery, often distracting and hardly coherent.  Do you think you divulged information you should not have? I would not worry. Besides potentially being amusing to those in the OR, we are sworn to keep everything confidential.

MAC anesthesia

+1

the speed with which you go out depends on many variables, from the types of medication used, your own resistance to the medications, speed at which the medicines are given and others. It usually will take a few minutes, at least, and in some cases, while going to sleep and when your level of sedation gets lighter, it is not uncommon for the patient to speak or say words, but most of the time they do not make sense.

Julio Garcia, MD