I Had my BA Done 2 Weeks Ago. And I Have Started to Smoke a Few Days Ago.Will It Cause Capsular Contracture?

Btw, my breast still swelling so I can't see the different if it is CC or swollen still. I will stop smoking now and start to do more massaging. Does it help to prevent the implant to grow harder? What should I do? Please advise!

Smoking can interfere with healing after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. I do not believe there is any hard evidence that smoking will cause capsular contraction. However smoking does interfere with blood supply and good blood supply is necessary for adequate healing after breast augmentation. I complement you and your decision to quit smoking

Smoking and healing

+1

We know that smoking can negatively impact healing.  I am not sure that there is any data that states it impacts capsule contracture.  Capsule contracture occurs months-to-years after a breast augmentation so it is still early for  that to happen for you.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Smoking and capsular contracture

+1

There is no scientific relationship between postoperative smoking and the development of Contractures. While smoking in general is not ideal for wound healing, it honestly plays a very small role with a routine breast augmentation. If you have recovered well so far, smoking probably will play little role in the eventual outcome of your surgery. Good luck

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Smoking and breast capsular contracture

+1

There is no medical evidence that smoking will cause capsular contracture, but it does have other negatives as you likely already know. As to a capsular contracture this soon after surgery, it is doubtful. It will take about 6 weeks for collagen to be laid down and even begin maturing into a scar for a capsular contracture to form. In your case they are likely still firm due to swelling which should be markedly better in the next 4-6 weeks.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation and smoking

+1

I know of no scientific literature stating that smoking causes capsular contracture after breast augmentation.

In general, it is best to take the best care of yourself possible after surgery to promote healing.  Eat healthy and sleep well. Avoid heavy exercise until instructed by your doctor.

Smoking is certainly not good for healing after surgery, but with respect to your question, no, smoking has not been cited as a cause for capsular contracture after routine breast augmentation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Smoking and capsular contracture

+1

The literature has not demonstrated a connection between smoking and capsular contracture. However, smoking negatively affects wound healing and scarring. Some patients use the respite from smoking in the immediate postop period as the impetus to stop smoking.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Capsular Contracture and Smoking

+1

I am not aware of any scientific literature that shows a causative link between smoking and capsular contracture. However, the use of nicotine will not be helpful in the postoperative period in regards to wound healing and/or pulmonary function.

May be you can use this opportunity to stop smoking for good?