Do I Have to Wean my Daughter Before Having Sclerotherapy?

I'm in need of sclerotherapy for my legs, but I still have a baby that I nurse. What will I need to do before and after I have surgery?

Sclerotherapy during breastfeeding

+1
Pump and dump for 2 days after sclerotherapy during breastfeeding is recommended by some vein specialists. Discuss with a breastfeeding expert from tne International Lactation Consultant Association. 

Buffalo General Surgeon

Wait.

+1

I would not recommend sclerotherapy while nursing. Although the risk of transfer of medication to the baby is probably small, there are no studies to prove that sclerotherapy with any agent is safe while breastfeeding. Treating the spider veins is elective and it would be safer to wait for treatment until the breastfeeding has ended.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Sclerotherapy with Hypertonic saline should be safe while nursing

+1

If a nursing mother wants sclerotherapy I recommend having it with hypertonic saline, since it is basically concentrated salt water.  There is nothing in salt water that should hurt a nursing baby.  Of course, always check with your pediatrician before having any procedure while you are breast feeding.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

No sclerotherapy during breastfeeding

+1

Cosmetic procedures, including sclerotherapy, neurotoxins, fillers, and lasers are not recommended during pregnancy and nursing.  Effects on the baby are unknown and not worth taking the risk. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Sclerotherapy and Breast Feeding

+1

Sclerotherapy is the injection of a solution directly into the veins. While it usually works on the smaller veins and capillaries, there is no study I know of that shows how much of that would go into the blood stream and possibly affect your breast feeding. With that being said, I do not recommend or do sclerotherapy on patients who are pregnant or nursing. I do not believe cosmetic, elective procedures are worth the safety of you or your child.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Sclerotherapy while nursing

+1
Since the solutions used in sclerotherapy have never been studied in pregnant or nursing women their safety cannot be guaranteed. Hence, with any elective procedure it is best to defer until you have discontinued breast feeding.

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Sclerotherapy is not appropriate while nursing

+1

Since sclerotherapy is done by injecting a substance directly into the bloodstream, the safety of this procedure during pregnancy or while breast feeding is unknown. You should therefore wean your baby before having sclerotherapy.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, wean your daughter

+1

No cosmetic, elective procedure should be done on a nursing mother or pregnant woman.  The potential risks are just not worth it.  Therefore, you should wean your daughter before doing any sclerotherapy.  (Now depending on how old your daughter is, it may/may not be the time to wean her.  I believe the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breast feeding for a year if possible.  This is out of my field..consult with your pediatrician).  

As for sclerotherapy, not a whole lot has to be done before the procedure, but afterwards, it is very important that you wear you compression stockings as directed by your physician.  

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon